[MATCH-UP] Devil Jin

Heaton

A Soul in the Purgatory
Discuss the Devil Jin match-up here. A guide can be found here, and the string defense guide can be found here.

Do we really need a match-up guide for Devil Jin? I don't see him being unbanned in the future. Not that this can't be useful for online play.

Do we really need a match-up guide for Devil Jin? I don't see him being unbanned in the future. Not that this can't be useful for online play.
People online can play him and I know a few people IRL who use him even if banned from tournies. It is nice to have either way.

Space him. Use 44B at disadvantage. If you're caught in his mixups and get knockdowned you die.

Don't kick him. None of your pokes are pokes. Don't waste time with 1B or 66A+B, don't waste time anything. Don't try 4A, don't do anything negative on hit.
Don't enter prep. Don't even do 3B.
For the love of god don't even bother kicking him. 4K would only appear to work; it doesn't. 11K is crap. 2K gets you killed. If he does for some mad reason move backwards that 22B should be coming down on his face.

Do trust 3A's priority ('s like Bullrush/nunchaks here). Do use 236B. 4(B) is acceptable. Mainly you are of course looking for that 22B. 22B is like precious gold, only the gold is protecting your life. So stay moving in that circle. 33B is useable, and is the only low you can afford to use (not that you should need that game).
On that note, don't count on the 22B, 2A mixup. Rethink it. If he gets into your head off it, it's all over but the crying. 22B , 3A becomes attractive. 22B -> followup in unusual range is an option.​

Do not attempt something that does not force him back when you hit, or he's got no problem inviting you to hit him with it. He will read you somewhere, bait you on something, and as Reptile says, he'll get in and say no forever. Keep him out. There is no free damage. Where you are standing is crucial, even if he is not.

Do not, though, be afraid to block because aside from unfair high-low, you -can- know his strings, you can wait it out for range, and Raph's 4(B) can compete with EWGF if you're focused.

Back