Mitsu Critical Finish

HAROcaust

[08] Mercenary
It's pretty easy to setup critical finish with Mitsu. I think most characters should probably have a dedicated thread for this.

Some obvious good moves for doing soul gauge damage are 66A+B and MST A+B. Landing these on guard as "tech traps" is definitely worth while since it's so friggin easy to do.

Maybe we can start a list going of moves or combos that setup a "free" big move on block that does a lot of soul gauge damage.

I haven't really experimented too much with this. 2KB and 1A are great for doing 66A+B and 6B+K MST A+B afterward. I've almost completely opted out of going for tech trap or mixing up after these moves in favor of just getting the opponent to block the big move. A lot of times they will just take it once they start flashing red.

Getting that life bar flashing red is a great way to land stuff on CH and getting the opponent to play stupid.

This is probably just a difference in style but I take damage over crush any time I can. I dunno, Mitsu landing a CF requires your opponent to be frozen into taking those blocks, when they could easily punish them :/ I wouldn't take that risk and instead if I go for 66A+B on oki, I do the ol' cancel mixup, usually into 2KB if they're still standing or 3B if crouching. Pretty standard stuff.

I do agree that once they're in the red though going for CF is something I do. However, I try to keep it mixed up and finish the round with them in the red (if it's not match point for me) so it's there for me to exploit next round.

We need a Soul Crush study for Mitsu anyway. Are you up for testing it? If you're curious on methodology, set training dummy to block all, and reset (L3+R3, I think, or one of the two) after each test. Make sure the equipment isn't destroyed during testing; otherwise you need to reset because no equipment = more soul gauge damage.

I can't make Mitsu work to damage SG, if you can - that's something I'd wish to see. no safe mids damaging gauge, low-dependant mixups (2KB deals zero Gauge damage). relying on 66A+B as a winning strategy won't get you far. IMO

Aren't 66A+B and MST A+B completely safe on block?

The mental strain these moves create when the opponent realizes you are going for soul gauge damage is not to be underestimated.

Definitely not a winning strategy by itself, but very strong when incorporated into your overall game. I believe this firmly.

I can do a soul crush study for Mitsu. I did one for Apprentice. Although I have noticed that MST A does good Soul Damage.

RLC A+B
FC 1B(max) (first hit)
22_88A+K

kB (1st hit)
236(max)
1A_[A] B
9A
7_8_9A+B
B+K
66BB(1st hit)
33_99B
11_77 BAB(2nd hit)
8WR A+B
22_88B+K
MST A
MST 6BB(1st hit)
MST A+B

44B
22_88B
11_77A
A+B6
9B
236B

A+K
8B
FC 3B
8A
3A
4B
2A+B
RLC B

FC 1A+B
7B
A+B(1st hit)
MST B4B

4A_[A]
7A
B6
bA_bA(just)
6B
3B
44A
33_99A_[A]
22_88A
MST 6B

Thanks for putting all this together :D Did you notice a difference between kB and k:B? I'm having fighters' block right now... What's 22_88A+K animation? Also, what do you mean by the whole "first hit" etc?

I tested FC 1B and it takes over 10 to make it into CF, unless the first hit gets blocked too, which will never happen

Could you explain a little more? Do you mean you tested with opponent blocking both hits, or only the first hit, or only the second hit, etc...

Brian: I tested both, but I dont remember exact results. I only know that if only second hit is blocked its around 10 times to land CF

Thanks for putting all this together :D Did you notice a difference between kB and k:B? I'm having fighters' block right now... What's 22_88A+K animation? Also, what do you mean by the whole "first hit" etc?

k:B vs kB - As far as I could tell, no difference in soul gauge damage.

22_88A+K seems to be a slight sidestep, with a spinning high horizontal. Spins opponent on contact.

Mitsu is the character who is probably most likely in the game to be parried. His fighting style requires his sword to be in motion almost constantly, whether it's a stance change or an actual attack depends on the situation. The best way to attain a CF is to break from your typical fighting style to a more defensive parry-oriented one. This destroys the soul gauge far faster than your main attacks for 2 reasons:
1) your mainstay of attacks are extremely fast because of your limited range. This makes them predictable and mixup key, but mixup always comes at the price of damage.
2) Your charge moves never hit, and aren't part of your normal arsenal. Characters that enter a stance and use an enormous guard break are awesome, especially for CF, but Mitsu's stances are for counterhits and combinations and stun combos. Attempting to utilize those moves for a CF purpose is the equivalent to Siegfried using his unblockable repeatedly to try to kill someone. Completely sub-optimal and a great way to die.

The attacks where I've put "first hit" are part of multi attack moves. For example the kB is a two hit attack, the crush occurs on the first attack of the 8th execution.

For the just frame moves, I haven't been able to execute them flawlessly and couldn't realistically compare. However I did get a nice series of b:A's but I didn't notice any difference in gauge damage.

IMHO, 66A, 22_88A and 33_99A seem to do some half-decent chip damage to the SG... for safe horizontal mids, at least.

You can do just 66B at the right range, most of the time they think you will do 66BB. 66B is good to tick with.Also this is good cause it keeps you at a good range from opponent. When you think you get close to critical finsh switch to RLC A+B,FC 1B(max) (second hit),22_88A+K ect ect great list btw :) Also as a mix up game you can do 66B-6b+k-6B And do whatever you want from there. I would just try to keep your attacks as safe as possible after 6b+k-6b.

I havent tested this good offline but Back crouching 1B is also really good as a tick attack. I am not sure how safe it is i need to test but im sure its pretty safe.

I've found the 'infinite' combo of (any setup into a stance) then RELIC :A: ~ MIST :6::(B): ~ RELIC repeat works out nicely v. noobs and either don't hold the A in relic or switch to an :A:+:B: in mist when you believe a soul crush coming.

Back