Natsu versus attack spammers.

Jakajantiamu

[11] Champion
So, what do you Natsu players do against people who do not guard? I used to play Talim and knew exactly what to do to those people, it was easy even.

However in SC5 I'm at a loss when Xiba starts twirling his staff all over the place, I try to time stuff and sometimes an A+B lands me a hit and I can move in and wail on em and win.

Doing a 22 or 88 BK K-A usually puts me in more danger than it is worth, sometimes a 9K-A lands me a hit and I am good, but again it is dangerous.

So how can I close the gap and wail on an attacker who is a threat to me like this? Any ideas? I hear 66B has more range than I give it credit for. Maybe a 66B, 4, 8, A+B?

Blindly attacking Natsu (or any character, for that matter) is just asking to die. A+B and 66B have very good range and should be used to punish whiffed moves. I'm guessing the Xiba player is using either 33_99AA (double sweeping low, NC) or 66A (hugely circular mid staff swipe) to damage you from a distance while controlling your step. Block 33_99AA. It's pretty distinct and very unsafe on block. Feel free to attack after a blocked 66A, ball's in your court after you block that move (Be wary of his aGI special stance, it aGIs As). His verticals are easily steppable, step and punish accordingly.

Block and inch your way in there. Fish for counterhits. If they're really not blocking, get within striking distance and fish for 6A+B, WS K, and 22_88K CH for beefy combos. If you think 66B will connect, go for 66B BE for knockdown into oki, going for 66B4 (PO) 8A+B just relinquishes pressure even though it's a GB move.

No need to get fancy if your opponent is truly spamming. Simple opponents require simple strategy. 9KA only when you know for sure a punishable move is coming, and what is 22_88 BK K-A? I'm guessing you're talking about her 22_88 B launcher. You can use that and 11_77K launcher after a step quite safely.

Offensive players if they are clueless are the best that can happen to Natsu, because some of her best damage comes from Counter Hit Combo starters.
But it helps to know when to attack and how.

Some attack strings and setups are not interruptable even on block, like Maxi's who can be very confusing it's hard to tell where one string ends and the next begins.
Or some moves and strings have built in evasion like tech step and tech crouch, making you whiff and get hit.

I'd advise to look at the character's command list, make the practice dummy perform set ups and try to defeat them.
Natsu has plenty of options to interrupt.
AAB for example gives 49 Damage on counterhit.

Some stuff will solve itself as you get used to string changes from Kilik to Xiba, i always thought his 6B is a single attack, because Kilik's version was, but with Xiba it's 6BK BE, and at first i often ate the followup attacks.

You can also look at his command list and post the stuff that annoys you the most, then we might help you more precisely.

Edit: And when you have people that never guard at all, just spam 6B on them, once it hits, it should give enough advantage to do it again before the opponent attacks.
Unless he uses moves with tech step of course. Like Xiba 4A.

Oh, before I forget - If Xiba uses 33AA on you and you're Natsu, he's at -10 which means you are the only players who can non-CE punish it. So do that.

A:6 sadly doesn't work from Full Crouch state i think.
33AA was the double low that can be made BE right?
4a+bA might work if the recovery isn't crouched.

yeah, I found a neat move where I press 6AB48BB that feels rather epic, works good against the non blockers.

I need to practice the range on my 66B as well as learn some more of my fast game.

2AK? will try it.

I just bought the players guide! going to read through it some today. It is epic.

It looks like I have been putting an effort into her damage - combo game and not enough into her fast game.

In short I need to learn that 4b is a good fast interrupt,
66b has more range and speed than I think
66k is also a good gap closer.
66b be 1A is a nice combo.
88 or 22b A-6 seems to be solid.

Rising K is better than I give it credit for. I also need to remember that 9K is a great interrupt, sort of like Talim's 6k was.

Also I need to learn that all of those combos that i learned that deal mega damage on 3 hits, I need to learn that after 2 hits the 3 hit opens me up to be punished. Basically the final hit in any combo is dangerous. Just like how with Talim in SC4 a 6ABA combo did more damage, but everyone ducked the A and it made me open so do a 6AB instead, same principle but more complex.

I need to keep attacking, can't play her as defensively.

Looks like BK rings out on the right and BBK rings out to the left? I might have that backwards.

Say has anyone here ever done a PO brave edge, then an A+G brave edge grab? looks like an amusing ring out combo.

It looks like I have been putting an effort into her damage - combo game and not enough into her fast game.

In short I need to learn that 4b is a good fast interrupt,
66b has more range and speed than I think
66k is also a good gap closer.
66b be 1A is a nice combo.
88 or 22b A-6 seems to be solid.

Rising K is better than I give it credit for. I also need to remember that 9K is a great interrupt, sort of like Talim's 6k was.

Also I need to learn that all of those combos that i learned that deal mega damage on 3 hits, I need to learn that after 2 hits the 3 hit opens me up to be punished. Basically the final hit in any combo is dangerous. Just like how with Talim in SC4 a 6ABA combo did more damage, but everyone ducked the A and it made me open so do a 6AB instead, same principle but more complex.

I need to keep attacking, can't play her as defensively.

Looks like BK rings out on the right and BBK rings out to the left? I might have that backwards.

Say has anyone here ever done a PO brave edge, then an A+G brave edge grab? looks like an amusing ring out combo.

66B 1A is actually not a combo, the 1A can be blocked low.
But 66B Brave Edge, 1A is a combo.

Rising K is really good, especially on Counter Hit, but don't do it everytime you're crouched,
it is steppable and often loses to Retreating Evasion, like Leixia 44B.
Maybe search for slow strings that start with Low, block the Low and interrupt with Rising K for CH combos.

Jump KA is actually easily hit-confirmable, if they attack and whiff under you you know that Jump K will hit and do the A.
If they don't whiff just do the Jump K which is safer.

BK and 6AK Ring Out to Natsu's Right and are Natural Combos.
BBK Rings Out to Natsu's left and is a Natural Counter Combo.
Jumping A also Rings Out to Natsu's Left. Except 7A which has no KNockDown.

WS AAa4 You can Cancel the last A, which would be very unsafe on Block, into PO if the first A is not Counter Hit,
then PO BE to safety or even Whiff Punishment.

Back