Patroklos Infinite GI

HolyForce

I will show you...
This is really the most overlooked attribute Patroklos offers that even people who call him solid miss.

As we've stated a few times in other threads, post-meter GI, Pat's combo can regenerate all the meter used, therefore as long as you're always successful with your GIs, you never run out. This adds some very good pressure to his game. A setup can be like blocked BB, and wait for enemy animation of an attack and meter-GI immediately. This is very awesome to use against slower characters like Nightmare and Astaroth even at range, or any character that's string, high vs. mid or "setup" based, as meter GI's come out real early. Technically speaking, once you get enough meter to GI once, you could assure yourself the match from there on with well placed GIs.

Poor example in this cell phone recorded video below, but it establishes the grounds for the thread.

We should update the thread over time with things that are very easily reacted to (esp. strings) to GI the enemy for 90~ damage plus no meter loss. This can shut down some of the cast, actually.

Also if they GI back, outcomes can vary of course, and you can choose to delay the 66B, but trading meter for meter is a game Patroklos obviously excels at.

Does it really build half a meter? When I do these combos they seem to build just barely less.

I didn't go into detail in this post, but in other threads I have. Yes, it builds just slightly less meter than the GI by end of standard combo. However, a legitimate tech chasing attack, such as 1K, should fill the gap.

oh, give it away, why don't you...

Does it really build half a meter? When I do these combos they seem to build just barely less.
Just a smidgen.

Go into training mode, turn your meter to 100 or 50%. Whiff a GI, 66B, 66B+K, 236K. Repeat.

I think at 100% (2 bars) Pat can do this combo... what was it, something stupid, 30 times in a row? before he runs out?

I'm terrible at GI sniping, always have been. I have poor reactions, so it's hard to do it purely off of reflex... I don't know what the effective frame window for a GI is... Sometimes it feels "long" and sometimes it feels too short.

Smart opponents will usually start stalling their retaliation. (This is when you're supposed to step in and re-pressure, but I'm bad at switching gears.) I've not had a whiffed GI punished, but I usually get run-up mixup afterwards.

I find that in practice, because of 236K, I have more meter management to do than I would like (as meter is just spilling out of my pockets). I don't like sitting on 2 bars because you get a free bar if you lose two rounds and it feels like a waste if I don't have room for it. However, Pat can't really spend meter safely. Brave Edges can be countered, GI must be timed, CE is unsafe.

Sitting on 2 bars, I find myself fishing for 3B, CE or GI opportunities just so I can get rid of the meter.

I feel like maybe you shouldn't conserve meter with Pat at all, and just spend freely given the opportunity (I haven't tried this, maybe I should). I definitely don't have this philosophy with other characters (I frown on combo into super most of the time.)

I spend meter kind of quickly. I probably shouldn't end the 66B+K combos with CE so much. This does launch pretty far so it's always worth it near an edge, but it really isn't that much more damage at the end of a combo than 66A+B. I use the 66A BE to just run at opponents and get a nice advantage on block for a free mixup. I feel like this only works because my opponents don't just guard it though.

I really like this idea of the nearly infinite GI though so I'm trying to get used to this. The GI is actually really good since it blocks high, mid, and low, but it seems expensive on paper. Using it like this though, makes it completely worth it. Now I'm wondering if theres any other characters who can build their GI meter cost back this well.

there is one thing to keep in mind. both players gain about the same amount of meter off of this combo.

66b, 66b+k, 236k builds 54 CU it costs 60 to GI so ya pretty close to building all its meter back.

Can the enemy re-GI?
Always.

Thing about GI is that all it offers is a reset. It's possible to GI and then lose the following encounter.

Funny thing, people complain about them changing GI in this version, you can't GI for free, etc. but GI was never really that good if you can get hurt for using it correctly. (Well, maybe SCIV parry GI was OK.)

Well, the big difference to previous installments is that the enemy can NOT always re-gi. He needs enough meter or the damage is guaranteed. In the end it all comes down to who's got the best meter gain to come out ahead in this battle. Pat is pretty well suited to win this, due to 236K as a universal combo ender for a good chunk of meter every time.

Back