Ranked Matches - Promotions & Playing Online

Panther

[09] Warrior
These are basically my findings regarding ranked matches online. Note that I only reached C-rank so far and the highest on PSN is B-rank right now, Dinozsc (aka. D.I.N.O. here on the forums).

Ranked matches are a great way to level up your rank and profile level for the game if you feel like playing against people who actually care. The good thing about it compared to player matches is that it simply looks for matches based on your choices, which are just regionally based, and also connection based. From experience, 3+ bars and above is good enough, but the default is set to 4+ bars for an optimal experience. As you should know by now, there will always be lag, but it has been pretty good so far.

Ranked matches are 1 set and that is it. You lose means you gain one loss. There is also no way to punish quitters, people who purposely pull their connections in order to avoid having another loss on their column. It is sad but we have to live with it. As a matter of ethics, I always stay to the end even if I lose. It is great experience when you lose because you can save the replay and you can go over it and ask yourself where you went wrong. It is also a matter of etiquette, be respectful to the other player who is stronger and give them the win. Take the loss as a chance to improve.

Ranked matches are also the only way to increase your own player rank in your player card. You could play a thousand Player Matches and it will not increase your own rank one bit, from what I know. I could be proven wrong, but so far, I tried playing in a few and it never raised my rank experience by any. This included games in Global Colosseuo, random or tournament.

An important thing to note is that your rank does not mean you are a better player. Players with a great win ratio could just have been lucky with their matches. In general, it does mean that the player is likely to be rather good, but go into any match with the mindset that the player knows how to play the game, then observe and play on as you go.

Winning a ranked match usually gives you around 100 base points. You could gain less if you fight an opponent lower than you by one rank (as in, C/D/E as opposed to grade within the rank). The amount you earn apparently depends on your perfects, HP bar left, time left, RO's, and more. This is all guesswork as I had different calculations for different victories, and there is no actual statistic recording mechanism for us to visually observe.

Now here is a short breakdown of the ranks and the ways to level up in them. Everyone starts out at the lowest E5. By the way the colors for the headings follow the dark theme, so if you have trouble seeing them in the light theme, just highlight the words.

E-Rank

This is the rank where you lose or win, you gain experience. You need 600 experience points to reach the next level within the rank (from E5 to E4, 600 experience points, same with E4 to E3, etc.). You gain 45 points for losing a match to anyone from any rank/grade. You gain 100 points or more from winning. Promotion within this rank is automatic. If you have excess experience points, they will carry over to the next level.

D-Rank

This is where you start being a little concerned about losing. However the penalty is very small for losing a match, for example 10+ to 20 experience points or slightly more. It depends, again, on what rank/level you lost to. Winning is based loosely on the same system as E-Rank, so you need not worry too much about advancing.

For promotion within this rank, promotion is automatic but experience does not carry over to the next rank. I might be wrong though. The experience required to reach the next level within this rank is 1000.

C-Rank

It starts getting interesting. At C-Rank you gain lesser than 100 points for winning anyone in E-Rank usually, and what makes it worse is if you only managed to win 3-2 against an E-Rank player, you will gain something like 50-80 points or so (depending on what happened during the match).

You lose quite a bit more points, but nothing you cannot gain back with victories over time. Promotion in this rank is not automatic. You will have to gain all the way to 3000 experience points first. Once you reach 3000/3000, you must look for a C-Rank player to fight against. The words "Rank Up Match" will appear during the loading screen and during the match if this is a match you can rank up with. It need not be a player with the same level as your current C-Rank, any C-Rank player will do. This is why a lot of people are currently stuck in C-Rank in the PSN rankings - they have no idea that they have to use a C-Rank player to promote. Fighting D/E-Rank players gives you absolutely ZERO experience points. Losing to them may or may not reduce experience points. See below.

Now if you failed in your first rank up match, do not worry. Your experience points are kept the same and you are left at +0, and 3000/3000. However, if you fail it a second time, the game instantly punishes you by deducting 200 points from your experience points, meaning you have to regain all 200 points, hit 3000/3000 again to get another chance at the Rank Up Match. This could easily mean the same for losing to D/E-Rank players but I had no chance to find out.

B-Rank

B-Rank seems to work the same way as C-Rank even in terms of promotion. You only need a C-Rank player or B-Rank player to level up, as per D.I.N.O's finding below (see 4 posts below this). The experience points you require is 5000 to advance to the Rank Up Match.

A-Rank

A-Rank takes the same amount of experience at A5 to reach the next rank and should be the same for all levels. Again, you need a minimum of C-rank as your opponent to rank up in the match to the next level. The maximum level is A1, 5000/5000.

If any of the information in here is incorrect please post and let me know and I will correct this first post. Thanks!

Nice information, good job. One thing I don't like about ranked still: Rage quitters. In 15 matches (15-0 with Nightmare btw) 6 of the people have rage quit. Although I wonder if I still get points for beating them and then they rage quit. Is it confirmed or? And has Namco released the maximum rank? or is there none... like SCIV apparently.

Good Stuff. I find if you win with an Excellent, or you land a CE or BE in match, or Win with a BE/CE it increases your points output (not sure by how much).

I believe beating someone in their Rank Up or Rank down Match gives you +50. I finished one round with +189, when I beat the other person who was ranking.

I try to play Similar Ranks but it takes too long to find opponents, and gives me alot of D ranks. When its set to any, I seem to get more C ranks anyway.

Well I'm at B5, on my way to B4. They start you at 800/5000 I believe. I missed many matches I would have won due to random Disconnects, very few ragequits I believe.

Dino I saw your name at the top of PSN, good stuff. Online seems like a legit training tool this time around. I can block lows, and the input lag is very low most times (though a 5 bar can vary in input lag, which is wierd).

Have you guys noticed anything online that is markedly harder than offline which changes the funamental nature of SC5 yet? The only thing I noticed is jG timing is very different.

Yea, I'm really doing it to see how other character are going to be played. Can't wait until tourney to see play styles.

Mostly I'm doing it for the people. SC4 there were like 50+ randoms top of the rankings. And they were mostly Spamaholics. Now I want people to play me, and see you can win with Raw Mixups, and not spamming Randoms Lows or CEs or whatnot. I'm already getting good games after people lose. And I'm using Natsu (until I saw everyone on her) and now onto Vold Mitsu Tira. Was using Alpha-Pat, but still need that execution down.

SW Beta, Shinji, ChaosX, some other 8WR players are up there too. Hell I only really getting Late Evenings to play, and some mornings.

Edit - I just ranked up from B5 to B4 against C4 GamingGodz who was also in a Rank Up match. So maybe they can be 5 levels away, or have to be in a Rank Up match. Hard to say.

The online is fairly legit, you can REACT to 1As (although they are slower in this game). You can break throws almost visually, which leads me to believe they may have increased the window of break online.

Its actually more fun, and less frustrating than I thought it would be. Its not the be all end all, but its fun when you have no one to play. And waiting in line for player matches is hella annoying.

Also if you send me a PSN msgs, and I dont reply, its cuz my PS menu usually freezes mid-game.

I'm way up there in the ranking system but I'm not that great yet (I keep running into Esom and getting destroyed). I just played a shit load. Lots of fun so far :) Lots more fun than SC4 online. I hope at the highest ranks you actually lose a lot of points when you lose, so that the top ranks will actually mean something eventually. Not too hopeful though.

Although I wonder if I still get points for beating them and then they rage quit. Is it confirmed or? And has Namco released the maximum rank? or is there none... like SCIV apparently.

No points. I had people rage-quit on my NM too. The match simply never existed. The highest rank is likely A1 as per the ranking system in Quick Battle. Maybe there are hidden ranks, but I doubt it.

I believe beating someone in their Rank Up or Rank down Match gives you +50. I finished one round with +189, when I beat the other person who was ranking.

Well I'm at B5, on my way to B4. They start you at 800/5000 I believe. I missed many matches I would have won due to random Disconnects, very few ragequits I believe.

Edit - I just ranked up from B5 to B4 against C4 GamingGodz who was also in a Rank Up match. So maybe they can be 5 levels away, or have to be in a Rank Up match. Hard to say.

I beat someone in their Rank Up Match twice, the second time round he lost 200 points I gained 196. So yes, it counts quite a bit. Also thanks for the experience points for B-rank. I doubt I can catch up, the Asian players are few and far between and most of whom I meet are JP/Korean, and sometimes they purposely set their connection to only search for 4+ bars even though I feel almost no lag at 3+. Connections can still fail (go back down to 2) though.

Ah sweet so for C-Rank and B-Rank you only need to find a C-Rank to rank up. Maybe it becomes B and A-Ranks only for A-Rank.

Have you guys noticed anything online that is markedly harder than offline which changes the funamental nature of SC5 yet? The only thing I noticed is jG timing is very different.

None, I can block/duck on reaction. Really nice improved netcode. But others may feel differently. Also the variation in connections is largely thanks to routing problems via you and your opponent or someone spamming yours/his/her bandwidth somewhere. It is possible. I get 1 bar to my friend in SG in player matches and we are like WTF, it has to be a problem somewhere since neither of us are downloading anything or using our bandwidth otherwise.

I hope at the highest ranks you actually lose a lot of points when you lose, so that the top ranks will actually mean something eventually. Not too hopeful though.

Same. It is hard to catch up to you guys when I find fewer opponents though lol. I am probably the currently highest-ranking player in the Asian/Oceania region in PSN. The Japanese are more likely to play the Colosseo or to search for 4+ bars so I am kind of stuck looking for opponents sometimes.

Quick question: Is that rank based on character or on your account? I.e. will I have the same rank with my 0 game ZWEI as my 5000 games Aeon?

Your account, you can switch characters for any match but you just stick with it for that ranked match. I used Elysium at times and lost to scrubs lol. To wipe your account entirely I think you need to reinstall the game or something, I know I fought an opponent before that wiped his account clean and faced me again.

Account? Thats gay. I mean I could create a new account anytime...but still. I think its kinda silly that when I want to pick up a new character Ill face the same guys Id be playing on my "better" one.

Back