Sophitia Match-ups

hkw

[08] Mercenary
Thought it would be good to see which characters sophitia has trouble with or advantageous. Personally I feel that voldo,amy,ivy are pretty hard for sophitia.

I think Voldo and Amy are good characters, but that the match-ups are ok. I'll agree though that Amy doesn't give many punish opportunities which is supposed to be a strong suit. Ivy on the other hand seems like a good match up to me for Sophie, her frames are bad in CL and WP (often punishable) and most of her ranged stuff is high(so AS goes under) or easy to step and in SW she seems too short ranged and fairly linear, but thats just what I've seen. Why would you say she's a bad match-up?

I think character's who fight at range, but don't turtle such as Asta(but not if he is played close/mid) are good match-ups for Sophie (She hits hard at range) as well as characters with poor close-range like Mi-na(Sophie is fast in close with good damage). Those who can turtle like Kilik probably bad for our girl(Sophie mix-ups and grabs not too strong). His range doesn't help either.

I feel that it's because Ivy has fast pokes which are pretty damaging too and close range people are afraid of her CS and SS and the really good players can buffer that very fast. I guess I am kind of weak against long ranged characters for example Hilde and Kilik.

No offense, but it sounds more like you have difficulty against Ivy as a player, and not just with a certain character. I'll second what Suirad said, and I'd also have to say that Hilde is a bit of a pain (At least, you don't have a definite advantage over her), since she's a generally safe character. Therefore, 236B shouldn't be seeing much use in this match. That said, Hilde lacks decent horizontal mids oustide of her CA moves, and the two that she has are unsafe on block (i.e. 236B punishable). Furthermore, that means most of her close range step killers are high, and Sophie has more than enough TCs to deal with them. Furthermore, your AA is just as fast as Hilde's 6A+K at i12, which should keep her from trying to outspeed you at neutral frames.

You need to stay in Hilde's face for this matchup, so close in with 236236B after an opening (Or perhaps the beginning of the match, occasionally) and try to stick to your faster and/or evasive moves. While countering her standing charges with A+B is fun, but they'll catch on and mix it up if they aren't on auto-pilot charge abuse mode. Also, I need to check out which character is better at SG damage up close (I'm leaning towards Hilde, but I don't know how safe/easy to duck her mainstay SG damagers are). This is a pretty fun matchup, IMHO.

Edit: After a cursory glance at Hilde's SG damage and frame data threads, it appears that almost all of Hilde's SG damagers are unsafe, linear, high, effing slow, or any combination of the four (not that most aren't, but Sophie's got some gems like 4B+K that Hilde doesn't. Also, don't forget her charge moves are somewhat of an exception). Actually taking advantage of these weaknesses is a completely different story, but I'm inclined to believe that a good knowledge of Hilde's SG moves will greatly benefit you. Also, remember to watch out for Hilde's FC charge moves, which are all i18 or i19, and safe on block with the exception of FC C3 BB. Be sure to listen for that distinctive sound, people!

Yes I agree that I still have a lot to learn being a player, how do you apply pressure or what moves are there to combat certain situations?

Try to attack opponent with moves that have lowish negative frames on guard(B, BB, 4B, 2A, WSK, 66B, 44K, 6AB, 4B+K) and afterwards make liberal use of GI, A+B, Step and moves with Tech Crouch(4B+K, 236AA, 66B+K, 44B...), Step(22A/B+K) and/or Jump(9K/B+K) or quick moves (AA, 2A, 6AB). Try to go mid/low when opponent wakes from knockdown, grab people who freeze on block etc.

/edit/ For example vs Ivy if you know your opponent likes to use 6 often after block throw out 44K then sidestep and grab or 66_33_99K.

Similarly vs Astaroth if you force him into a corner and think you'll get a B command grab attempt on block in the near future 4B+K under it and push him off the edge/into wall.

The only advice I can give you without going over all of Sophie's stuff is to keep playing with her, trying new moves, and learning the gist of her frame data (For starters).

Back