Taki Online Tactics Thread

Cabbie

[09] Warrior
Alright folks, most seasoned Soul Calibur player knows that Taki plays very differently online and offline. Although I agree that offline is the "real thing" we are faced with the harsh reality that for many different reasons the majority of people playing SC4 will be doing it over the internet.

So share to us your online only strategies with Taki. A fair warning though, don't expect most of these strats will work well offline.

Performing a GI online has been a little harder for me to do, but I've found that blocking the first hit and GI'ing the second has made it a lot easier against many characters. Especially Kilik.

Although this has been mentioned a couple of times already: Ninja bombs are unnaturally effective online because low hits are harder to block because of latency. 4A+B is a GOOD long range punisher offline and a GREAT long range punisher online. (maybe because of its deceptive range) I've noticed that throwing out random AB4A+B string seems to lunch them 80% of the time as well.

In my experience, PO shifts online seem to be much harder because of lag. In really bad connections, I usually get a 50/50 chance to pull it off.

Can you define what you mean by those last 2 sentences? I don't see how 214 and 236 would be any more difficult to do online.

21466A or 21466B, I can absolutely understand.

I am not sure how much slower using 4a to enter possession is than 214, but I've found buffering with it to be a lot easier.

Can you define what you mean by those last 2 sentences? I don't see how 214 and 236 would be any more difficult to do online.

21466A or 21466B, I can absolutely understand.

I am not sure how much slower using 4a to enter possession is than 214, but I've found buffering with it to be a lot easier.

Well I did say "In my experience." :)

Hmm probably its because of my connection - 4 bars is the best I can get at the moment. There are times when I attempt to do PO shift either Taki simply stands there or the shift comes out about half a second later then I expected. I'm pretty sure it is not an execution problem on my part because I also play a lot of offlline games and have no problem at all with PO.

Also another not mentioned and considered cheap online tactic is 8_9KKK. It is very effective due to latency. I don't recommend spamming it but its good to throw out a few times per match. Very effective against low attacks and if you can anticipate - throw attempts. 8_9KKK is also very good to throw against someone who is at the edge of the ring for a quick ring out.

Although according to Halister, 8_9 B is the better option overall for stuffing throws, 2A and other low attacks in a real offline match or if you want to press on your attack because on hit it gives good advantage and leaves them standing.

9KKK is usually the online noob Taki's move of choice, just because it's an easy move that hits three times, dodges lows, and knocks down. The other noob move of choice is B+K,BBB, only because it's the "cool ninja dive". Sometimes they'll just throw it out at random.

I haven't tried it yet because I've only recently picked up Taki, but I have reason to believe that 3KK~B+K A+G_B+G could be effective online, just because of the latency preventing the enemy from reacting to the throw (unless they're a B-masher who'll just not block and keep breaking B throws no matter what; then use the A-throw).

Question about stuffing lows, is k2 a good move to punish lows?

Question about stuffing lows, is k2 a good move to punish lows?

i assume you mean to interrupt or beat lows (punishment usually means retaliation after block or whiff)... it feels a little slow to get off the ground to me; slower than 9A_B_K, so if you anticipate a quick low from up close, i'd go with another move or even simply GI. K2, while safe i think, doesn't give advantage on hit. that being said, i use it in oki and occasionally like to throw it out there for variety's sake and to prevent lows.

K2 is -9 on block (safe) and +1 on hit. Not a bad move considering that after it hits, your A will beat their FC 2A (they stand up briefly) and your 3K will trade with the FC 2A. Otherwise 3K will beat everything else because K2 forces them to crouch.

ive been wondering the effectiveness of B[K](on block),33B (assuming they stop blocking after b[k]). it looks like its ok online, but im really scared of doing it 33b alot after B[K] because it feels its unsafe (sidestep able). can someone test this out so i know its just not me? also, does 33b works after BK better?

one last question: anyone know a move that gives 41236B time to charge? I can't find a place to put this move in. all i have been doing is throwing it in randomly hoping no one will think of it.

I think Hover A half-hit will lead into 41236B provided they don't tech immediately to the correct side.

If your opponent jumps and gets hit by Hover B, 41236B is guaranteed.

you can tech out of 41236B after PO 236A single hit to either direction, is very easy.

Now PO 236A with both hits, 41236B is guaranteed unless they roll on the ground.

41236B is again guaranteed after A+B, but not worth it... though I think they can tech roll to the right to get out of it... maybe that's changed.

PO 236B hit in the air or with them grounded will guarantee 41236B as well.

ive been wondering the effectiveness of B[K](on block),33B (assuming they stop blocking after b[k]). it looks like its ok online, but im really scared of doing it 33b alot after B[K] because it feels its unsafe (sidestep able). can someone test this out so i know its just not me?

Yes 33b is only effective if they try to strike back after blocking the [K]. If you think they will side step a simple AA or the usual ab strings or a ab PO mixup should be good enough.

It could simply be just the kind of opponents that I play against online but I noticed that I never got punished from a blocked PO K7_8_9. Is it because of lag or simply my opponent did not know that it could be punished?

It seems most ppl seem to under estimate taki's WR and LP moves. however, most of the spammers i come across try to use Haste, Haste Alternate, and Exorcism.

Ninja cannons are always good because(as people have said) it is harder to dodge the lower hits. The stalker grabs (For both 4A+Y A+Y and 6A+Y) are good, or a 2A+Y after it (for 6A+Y) it can be done twice). 44K PO Y+K is also good, as is 6A PO Y+K). Offline, strong computers seem to know how to dodge every one of these attacks, but online, opponents don't expect it very often, at least for me.

Back