The Mighty Algol Has No Equal!!! - The Match-Up Discussion Thread

Force-Destruct

[10] Knight
I guess it would be fitting to make a match-up discussion thread that helps with strategies on fighting the whole cast.

This could be dealing with tactics on getting in with Algol, dealing with tough match-ups, etc...

I figured to make this thread, since there really is not ALL-IN-ONE Match-up reference thread, just specific match-ups like Natsu and Astaroth.

I'd probably update this first post with stuff that other people have found (and will be credited for).

Here's something to start:

On Raphael
- If he does 6BB BE or prep BB BE and you block it, you can side-step to Raphael's left and make the last hit whiff completely, allowing for punish

I needs some assistance on the Viola Match-Up. I got beat by a Viola player, not really having much MU experience. Anyone got any tips? I realize that no one is coming into the Algol SA lately.

You can DP 6B+K after blocking 6B/1K/3B/whatever else she does in the setup. DP also beats the most common options in the setup but if she blocks it, you die. Use it against 44A BE on block, too. If the 44A BE was her last available meter, regular GI it and 44B launch.

When she does AAB or BBB, duck and FC 3B is the safest option for stopping any further offense (FC 3B has a better TC than 2A or 2K).

GI'ing the 44A BE or anything into 50% is my specialty, and thanks for the valuable info Slade. Viola is one of the MU's that I have little amount of experience (like Hilde and Ivy) against.

How does one go about fighting aPats? I'm absolutely free to a good one, and i'm not sure if thats just because I generally am not good vs aPat, or if Algol gets wrecked by aPats(like NM)

How does one go about fighting aPats? I'm absolutely free to a good one, and i'm not sure if thats just because I generally am not good vs aPat, or if Algol gets wrecked by aPats(like NM)

You simply have to play extremely safe vs aPat. Always assume that the Alpha player can do double JF Twisters, meaning watch out whenever you throw out anything -13 on block or greater (JFT is i12 but they don't punish i12 moves consistently, unless you're Woahhzz).

You have to basically bait him into using a predicted vertical, which you should step and punish.

Also, 623B is useful here, learn your opponent's attack pattern and interrupt with 623B (or 66B/66A)

This matchup is in Alpha's favor IMO, but if you can tell that your opponent CANNOT do JFT with Alpha, then the matchup is now heavily in your favor.

Also, I recommend you ask Tiamat about the NM matchup, he plays both Algol and NM. I'll post NM matchup stuffs later. I tend to play against NM a lot (especially with NM mains on this site)

Just wondering if anyone would like to share their thoughts on Algol's match-ups holistically?

Where are his strong match-ups/weak match-ups/odds/etc.

Just wondering if anyone would like to share their thoughts on Algol's match-ups holistically?

Where are his strong match-ups/weak match-ups/odds/etc.
I'm no expert by any means, but I've been told Algol does exceedingly well against linear characters. The way it was put for me is "anyone that trys to play the game like street fight vs. Algol will lose." There's a lot more info I could give you, but it might not be correct so I don't want to fill you with wrong ideas.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've been told Algol does exceedingly well against linear characters. The way it was put for me is "anyone that trys to play the game like street fight vs. Algol will lose." There's a lot more info I could give you, but it might not be correct so I don't want to fill you with wrong ideas.
This is true. Once you start to step Algol at mid range all he can threaten you with is 66A, which is high, unsafe, and gives trash wakeup after it hits (he has nothing to stop you from back teching, not even 4B+K).

The only thing else he has to threaten the opponent for stepping is 6AAB, 3AA, but are horrendously unsafe (and slow). The only reliable option is to 2A them and go for a throw /mid mixup.

The goal to playing Algol effectively is to condition them to not step. Achieving the goal however, is not so easy, because only his bad step-killers and throws are the only options you have to stop them.

The goal to playing Algol effectively is to condition them to not step. Achieving the goal however, is not so easy, because only his bad step-killers and throws are the only options you have to stop them.
Not to mention his throw range is still one of the worst in the game. Just gotta AA people until they stop stepping, or force them to block 22A repeatedly for trying to step (although this can be JGed on reaction).

Versus Cervantes 4B BE on block:
623B beats immediate BT B+K, BT 2K, BT 2A, BT 2B, BT B and BT A+G_B+G.
Loses to BT A, BT K, and can be baited by blocking and punishing for 90+ damage.

QI A+BB beats BT A+G_B+G, loses to pretty much everything else.

Algol CANNOT step BT B+K.

66B_66B BE will beat BT A+G_B+G.

BT B+K is safe on JG because balance.

Also, WR B+K is 7B+KK punishable on JG.

Not remembering that 623B beats around 80% of Cervantes's options off a blocked 4B BE of his really sucks for me. I have some matches that I've yet to put on YouTube/8wayrun against a Cervantes player who consistently did 4B BE. I feel stupid for not knowing this beforehand.

I also noticed that Algol can't reliably punish aB on block with a 66B. 4BA is the way to go.

Back