The Strange Case of Amy Sorel

RandyDrx

[05] Battler
So I've been thinking about this for quite a while now, you know how most characters in SC are usually given names from the language, culture or mythology of their birthplace right?

For example:
  • Cassandra was named after a figure in Greek mythology.
  • Sophitia's name comes from the Greek name "Sophia".
  • Setsuka is technically a foreigner, but she does live in Japan and was raised by a Japanese man, hence the name.
  • Ivy has Spanish ancestry through her father, although the name "Isabella" is actually Italian and not Spanish which is "Isabel", but considering there are many people who don't know the difference between Spanish and Italian, it can be somewhat excused (Katarina Alves from Tekken 7 also has a similar problem.). While the name "Ivy" is English, which makes sense considering she was raised in England.
  • Hilde is from Wolfkrone, which is a fictional European kingdom with German influences judging from the Kingdom's and her weapon's name, so the name "Hilde" fits her.

But not Amy, we have been told that she was born in Rouen which is in France and therefore makes her French. But the thing is, there are practically nothing that shows that she is French. Although her name has it's origin in Old French, her name uses the English spelling "Amy" instead of the French spelling "Aimée". Coupled with the fact that her weapon is called "Albion" which is one of the oldest known names for Great Britain (Soulcalibur Wiki even referenced this) and how she always has roses in her outfit, a flower that has been traditionally associated with England rather than the French "Fleur-de-lis", I would definitely believe it if people told me that Amy is English and not French if I haven't played SC.

Don't get me wrong, I love Amy, she has been my main since SC4. I just thought that her name, her weapon's name and flower motif is very odd for a French character considering England and France were enemies at that time.

So what do you guys think about this?

I mean, genuinely meaning no offense here, but if this is the first hint you've had that historical accuracy may not be the strong suit of the writers of Soulcalibur, I'm not really sure where we would begin... :)

So I've been thinking about this for quite a while now, you know how most characters in SC are usually given names from the language, culture or mythology of their birthplace right?

For example:
  • Setsuka is technically a foreigner, but she does live in Japan and was raised by a Japanese man, hence the name.
  • Ivy has Spanish ancestry through her father, although the name "Isabella" is actually Italian and not Spanish which is "Isabel", but considering there are many people who don't know the difference between Spanish and Italian, it can be somewhat excused (Katarina Alves from Tekken 7 also has a similar problem.). While the name "Ivy" is English, which makes sense considering she was raised in England.
  • Hilde is from Wolfkrone, which is a fictional European kingdom with German influences judging from the Kingdom's and her weapon's name, so the name "Hilde" fits her.

But not Amy, we have been told that she was born in Rouen which is in France and therefore makes her French. But the thing is, there are practically nothing that shows that she is French. Although her name has it's origin in Old French, her name uses the English spelling "Amy" instead of the French spelling "Aimée". Coupled with the fact that her weapon is called "Albion" which is one of the oldest known names for Great Britain (Soulcalibur Wiki even referenced this) and how she always has roses in her outfit, a flower that has been traditionally associated with England rather than the French "Fleur-de-lis", I would definitely believe it if people told me that Amy is English and not French if I haven't played SC.

Don't get me wrong, I love Amy, she has been my main since SC4. I just thought that her name, her weapon's name and flower motif is very odd for a French character considering England and France were enemies at that time.

Well I dunno,

Maybe she speaks French, or she enjoys French Cuisine and Culture. Or maybe she's using the English spelling , like some people who named Miguel sometimes allow people to call them Michael. She does use a Rapier ( so that should count for something)

Maybe it was just easier put name Amy in the game than the French spelling "Aimée":sc4amy1:.

For example:

Personally, I can see where you're coming from myself. I'm no history buff nor can I say I know much about France, but if I'd known your points beforehand I would agree that she was English,if I didn't know her already. It's entirely possible she IS British, but was abandoned in France for whatever reason.

I mean, genuinely meaning no offense here, but if this is the first hint you've had that historical accuracy may not be the strong suit of the writers of Soulcalibur, I'm not really sure where we would begin... :)

No offence taken, I just wonder if Amy would be 'renamed' like Mi-na and Yun later on.

Personally, I can see where you're coming from myself. I'm no history buff nor can I say I know much about France, but if I'd known your points beforehand I would agree that she was English,if I didn't know her already. It's entirely possible she IS British, but was abandoned in France for whatever reason.

That's what I thought too, I had this theory that she is an illegitimate daughter of an English soldier and a French woman. That doesn't explain why Raphael gave her the Albion though.

Back