What do you think about SoulCalibur Legends?

What is your opinion about this "game"?

• Decent game, but could have been better.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A total abomination, a stain the series' name.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Love it, they should make another one.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I don't know...

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Norik

[14] Master
I remember seeing the cover at a store and buying it right away, without even knowing what it was. And to my surprise, it wasn't Soul Calibur, as I discovered when I start playing. It was a beat em' up (Streets of Rage style) but 3D, with hints of an adventure/RPG game. And of course, I was really disappointed.

soulcalibur_legends_gold.jpg
Oh god, what is this!?

It is a good game, considering it's a wii game, but it's just not Soul Calibur. And honestly, thank god it wasn't. I can't imagine swinging my arms like crazy to do a simple Mitsurugi combo. Motion control just isn't for fighting games, although they at least tried... lol​

Since I am aware that most people here don't know what this game is, I'll summarize it real quick. Namco wanted to make a SC game using the Wii controller, but it -obviously- turned out to be a total mess, so they decided to make an adventure game instead. So you pretty much just walk around and swing your sword to perform moves. Siegfried's BBB, then, would be done by swinging your controller down twice and once upwards, which leads to a launcher -and an opportunity to jump-attack. Although it sounds pretty good in theory, the lack of any real defensive mechanics, a roster of only seven characters (Siegfried, Ivy, Mitsu, Sophi, Taki, Asta and Lloyd - the guest) which BTW you had to unlock, and the fact that the game feels like you're always doing the same exact thing over and over again, made this game a wicked, unsuccessful mess.​

How I would have improved it:​

Putting more characters: Obvious one is obvious. A bit of Yoshi, Voldo, Maxi and Mina wouldn't kill anyone, Namco. And since Nightmare, Cervantes, Hwang, Lizarman and Berserker are already in the game as enemies, why not have them as playable bonuses? And that female Kilik clone would have been cool too.​

Defense: Altought they tried implementing a quick-step mechanic, this game needed GI's urgently, to say the least.​

Real SC moves: Because Sophi sucks without TAS, Mitsu and Siegfried suck with no stances, Ivy with no whip or coiled states is pointless, and Astaroth with NO GRABS is just stupid. Come on, that wasn't so hard!​

Minigames; Since you're approaching a more casual market, and you have a wii-remote... yeah, that.​

So what do you think?​

I dont understand why they made a game when the game is a FIGHTING game NOT a ADVENTURE game.

the fact that the game feels like you're always doing the same exact thing over and over again, made this game a wicked, unsuccessful mess.

You didn't "feel" like you were doing the same thing. You were doing the same thing. There were only very few stages that were repeated over and over with some new rooms tacked on.

For a "beat 'em up", I actually liked the basic gameplay. Nothing as crazy as Devil May Cry, but it worked for Soulcalibur. The lack of advanced defense technique, and throws, only was curbesome in multiplayer Vs, which wasn't the focus of the game anyway.

The problem was that the level design, presentation and even basic options were all extremely limited. The level design was really basic, with corridors everywhere, yet they still had to reuse stages multiple times. It was just a cheap and badly designed game. Why only allow co-op in 3 areas? Why bother including a ono-one "Vs" mode, but no CPU opponents or arcade? Why not reuse more story mode areas in the multiplayer modes If you're going to keep them separate...? There were just too many bad decisions that basically destroyed the little good that there was in the game.

Why bother including a ono-one "Vs" mode, but no CPU opponents or arcade?
This. a few more modes would have made this game much better.

I dont understand why they made a game when the game is a FIGHTING game NOT a ADVENTURE game.
Because motion-based fighting games suck. All of them. They just don't know how to get it right. There's a reason why Smash bros and Tatsunoko vs Capcom make no use of the wii-remote at all.

Back