Where's Muh Movelist?!! Early Thoughts on Soul Calibur VI

TheNoirEffect

[12] Conqueror
Soooo we all are really enjoying Soul Calibur VI's high stakes, winner takes all, flashy gameplay. But amongst the praise, some people (like myself) are going insane, hoping that a movelist will fall out of the sky so we can really dive in and learn our favorite characters before launch. If you look at the framework of a fighting game, the movelist is what really sets the tone for in-game interaction and gives you an idea of what the hell to do. Given the premise of Soul Calibur VI and the overt intention of the developers to make a new, fresh and exciting installment in the series you would think that including a full movelist for the characters would be a simple thing to do right? Yes, but they didn't and I'm confident that it was smart thing to do.

It's been a slow slow journey for everyone who's been playing the game, new and old players alike. They introduced a few new mechanics, made a ton of changes to the characters, increased movement speed, energized the pace of each match, and introduced different kind of complexity that previous Soul Calibur games didn't have in my opinion. The flowchart now has an increased number of variables at play and it's a truly exciting thing to think about. There's a nostalgic feeling about not knowing a character completely, making what you know work, studying what other players have done, and adding bits and pieces as time goes on. The newness of SCVI, coupled with the lack of a standardized movelist, nor a training mode introduces a true feeling of aggressive discovery.

Those "Ok, I don't know what the hell I just did but I want to do it again" moments are refreshing, and I think most people can agree. This creates an active flow of veteran players who'll have a continual increase of interest in learning the game, newer players who'll have a continual increase in playing the game, and randoms who'll have a continual increase in seeing the game.. and then eventually playing. This food chain of sorts has existed for years, but SCVI has seemed to make things both appealing AND super accessible at the same time. And the developers know this because of my next point -

From what I've come across in playing the beta, each individual character in this iteration of SC has very strong attributes, to the point where it seems like the entire cast is OP. You heard me the ENTIRE CAST has something that makes them OP as hell. A "low tier" really doesn't exist in this game, and it's really a matter of how well you use your character plus the tools available to win the match. It's a super interesting thing when you can look at a fighting game as a pro-ish player and say that nobody in the cast needs a substantial buff. Time will tell though. Not only am I super excited to lab up and learn how to deal with stuff, but I am super excited to see how the metagame evolves. What do you guys think?

Soooo we all are really enjoying Soul Calibur VI's high stakes, winner takes all, flashy gameplay. But amongst the praise, some people (like myself) are going insane, hoping that a movelist will fall out of the sky so we can really dive in and learn our favorite characters before launch. If you look at the framework of a fighting game, the movelist is what really sets the tone for in-game interaction and gives you an idea of what the hell to do. Given the premise of Soul Calibur VI and the overt intention of the developers to make a new, fresh and exciting installment in the series you would think that including a full movelist for the characters would be a simple thing to do right? Yes, but they didn't and I'm confident that it was smart thing to do.

It's been a slow slow journey for everyone who's been playing the game, new and old players alike. They introduced a few new mechanics, made a ton of changes to the characters, increased movement speed, energized the pace of each match, and introduced different kind of complexity that previous Soul Calibur games didn't have in my opinion. The flowchart now has an increased number of variables at play and it's a truly exciting thing to think about. There's a nostalgic feeling about not knowing a character completely, making what you know work, studying what other players have done, and adding bits and pieces as time goes on. The newness of SCVI, coupled with the lack of a standardized movelist, nor a training mode introduces a true feeling of aggressive discovery.

Those "Ok, I don't know what the hell I just did but I want to do it again" moments are refreshing, and I think most people can agree. This creates an active flow of veteran players who'll have a continual increase of interest in learning the game, newer players who'll have a continual increase in playing the game, and randoms who'll have a continual increase in seeing the game.. and then eventually playing. This food chain of sorts has existed for years, but SCVI has seemed to make things both appealing AND super accessible at the same time. And the developers know this because of my next point -

From what I've come across in playing the beta, each individual character in this iteration of SC has very strong attributes, to the point where it seems like the entire cast is OP. You heard me the ENTIRE CAST has something that makes them OP as hell. A "low tier" really doesn't exist in this game, and it's really a matter of how well you use your character plus the tools available to win the match. It's a super interesting thing when you can look at a fighting game as a pro-ish player and say that nobody in the cast needs a substantial buff. Time will tell though. Not only am I super excited to lab up and learn how to deal with stuff, but I am super excited to see how the metagame evolves. What do you guys think?

We use the exact same characters on SoulCalibur V and Dead or Alive. Perhaps we were meant to each other. But we never found ourselves.

Back