Which buttons require more timing/proficiency?

Grey.Wolf

[09] Warrior
I set it up so that my main button config priority is as follows:
1) A
2) B
3) G
4) K

I'm thinking of switching A and G, since I think that guard is more important for timing than A attacks. I've noticed that there are a lot of B (just frame) attacks, so I'll put that second at the least.

I'm asking experts on which buttons should have priority based on proficiency/timing needed to execute moves, since I'm having a hard time executing certain timed moves like Ivy's B, B, B, B whip move (don't remember exact move) and Tira's Just Frame moves.

I am going to assume that you're using a controller to play on. I use a joystick so I am not the most qualified person to answer this question, but if I were to use a pad, I would use the default setup for the face buttons, and change the triggers to what button combinations I use most. It all really depends on what is most comfortable for you. You can change them to whatever you want. If it works for you, that's all that matters.

Let me get the introductions out of the way. Pocky Yoshi says hello. Pleased to meet you.

Now I'm a bit lost by what you're saying, but let me see if I can help. Particularly I use a pad, but I'm gonna need you to watch a vid that's in my signature. It'll help clear out some confusion when you see numbers and letters which look like intimidating math problems, but really isn't.

Don't click this spoiler until you've watched the vid in my sig and ask questions if you get stuck first. If you still don't understand, it's cool. I along with many 8wayrunners are patient with people like you =).
Now I play Yoshimitsu, a really difficult character which requires the use of the shoulder buttons to help ease my problems. He has quite a few beneficial just frames, but I'll talk about that later. Getting to the point, I used to have problems playing with one of his stances the flea for instance. It wasn't the fact that it was that hard to do, but merely I was more than likely to accidentally suicide myself with his 2A+K out of pure clumsy noobyness(if that's a word lol) back then. To solve my problems, I assign A+K on a Shoulder button so I can press 7_8_9A+K so Yoshi can hop around more efficiently. Yayz! Later, I realized that I like pressing B+K a lot but am lazy to press 2 buttons a lot. But the main problem was I loved to do 44B+K into 2B+K or meditation stance(correct me if I'm wrong 8wayrunners =]). Eventually I assigned B+K as another shoulder button to ease my problems because I love utilizing it. And now, I'm pretty much comfortable hopping around and being silly with Yoshi. Because I have two shoulder buttons to count on. While the other two are reserved for when I need to get more comfy with Yoshi.....no homo lol

As for just frames? It takes practice. Shoulder buttons may ease problems for some characters, but not all. My Yoshi for instance, has a one that requires the help of a shoulder button: It's input is a:B+K. So that's when my shoulder button B+K becomes extremely useful for a:B+K is a solid move used for every Yoshi mainer. Basically, it's essential. If you want to know more about Yoshi out of fun, just visit the Yoshi soul arena or PM me so I can guide you there. Something like Tira's just frames, requires practice and repetition until you get the rhythm down. I mean it's okay to fail, but it's even better if you keep yourself "hungry" for it. Basically you want to look stylish with that white bling bling just frames? You gotta work for it =). Okay now I sound weird lol. But regardless, I hoped I helped. If not, someone else will help you better. So um......ask questions when stuck! xD

Hello Grey.Wolf,
First things first, button configuration in Soul Calibur is highly variable from player to player and as such there is no one "solve all" way to go about it. It changes depending on characters used and individual player preference.
Having said that this is how I bind my buttons:
**Disclaimer - Watch Pock-Yoshi's sig-vid before reading***

L2 - B+G || R2 - A+B+K
L1 - A+G || R1 - A+K

Triangle - B
Square - A
Circle - K
X - G

I have my L2 and L1 buttons as both grabs so I can easily switch between them without much input thought, this also makes it easier for me to break grabs on reaction without switching to my face buttons. A+B and B+K are fairly easy inputs for me so I decided against binding them to my shoulder buttons (unlike A+K which is much harder (pressing Square and Circle at the same time)).
Now the R2 I have as A+B+K because of my mains (Mitsurugi and Yoshimitsu). I live off of RLC stance with Mitsurugi and as such I frequently use RLC A+B+K. By only having to press a single button I can conentrate more on my enemy and the timing of the move than on which buttons i'm pressing.
R2 it also works with Yoshi's just frames. Like Pocky-Yoshi said, a very important just frame for Yoshi is a:B+K; i find it impossible for me to do it with my face buttons but having R2 as A+B+K I can do it by pressing Square and then R2 (A+B+K will be read as B+K).
Critical Finishes are also easy to do since all I have to do is press X and R2.

Hope this helps you at lest find a reasoning behind how you set your buttons :)

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know others supported character-specific configs.

I think the character-specific configs are theoretically better if someone is diligent and good at the game. For example, you'd assign B to a higher priority (better finger) for Tira because her JF moves use them.

I'm sticking with my own standard config. I can't get used to the new config with my muscle memory.

My pad set up is:

Face = default

L2/LT = A+B
L1/LB = B+K
R2/RT = A+K
R1/RB = G

The reason I do this is its caters to many characters and solves certain issues. I use normal face G to guard, but to throw I do the shoulder + the face button. This keeps it consistent so if I got A or B I'm wired to do it that way for both and won't instinctively do it one way and ruin the mix up. You can also do many character specific moves like Nightmares AgA by hitting:

square (A), R1 (G), R2 (A+K) or L2(A+B)

I can do this with one easy motion. This is also comfy because I have binds for each button pairing accept throws. To do a critical finish:

Triangle, R1, R2

Real easy to reach. The only reason I would modify this personally is for Hilde, but you can still play her fine with this.

Back