720 an PS4 online only discussion

K0rN_b4LL

[14] Master
I wanna get this out of the way now before anyone starts busting out their flamethrowers so please keep in mind that this is NOT CONFIRMED, it is just rumor and speculation. Neither Sony or Microsoft has come out and said that this will be the case so I'm asking everyone to think carefully before they post (I don't really know who I'm trying to kid here) and try not to get this thread locked like so many others out there because of idiots and immature children.

As most of us know there has been a lot of rumors about the next gen of consoles requiring you to have an active internet connection to play any of your games. I know most people are instantly gonna go in the "this is stupid they are just being greedy/lazy/whatever" but there are some points to be made for this kind of model and the benefits it could give like lowering the prices of games on launch (so they don't have to compensate for the loss from used sales) and a number of other things. Personally I don't think it will happen just because of the state of the world, especially in the US, where there are still a whole lot of people who don't have internet and of those who do a lot of them still use dial-up. I just wondered what others think about how this kind of model might be used in the future.

Take this discussion about it for example-

I know IGN isn't always taken that seriously but they do raise some very good an interesting points about how a system like that would affect the gaming market in ways people usually don't consider as well as what might be the inevitable end of used game sales.

Again PLEASE keep any critisism to constructive critisism. If all you are gonna post is "It's stupid" or a long ranting curse-word-ridden flaming spewing fest then please don't bother.

While not particularly happy with this, (Got my PS3 last year) I'm rather curious to see what they will add there, I hope they keep the PS3 games running in the new one.
About the online needed to play you games I think this hardly ever will happen (At least think so) because I don't see how it is a necessary add up, but if I'm mistaken can someone explain to me.

Basically you have to have an active internet connection to play any game. If it doesn't detect that then the game will not play.

I will never buy an online-only console. Remember all that "freemium" shit that went viral when the iPad first came out? Yeah, those boring social games on which people put dozens of dollars and weeks to grow the best farm and similar crap. Turns out that demand is lowering, so the publishers are shutting the servers down. That's right: All the money people spent on DLC just flushed away forever.

Can you imagine what a disaster that would be on a Ps3/Xbox scale? Just stop for a moment and visualize losing all the time, effort, and money you put into a game like Sykrim or Ninja Gaiden just completely gone forever because it's not popular anymore. It would suck, wouldn't it? Well, only for you, because that's a business model companies are pushing for so you have to keep updating your software every six months. This is why companies want to go digital, so they can rob you for DLC that was always there since day one without people complaining that "they already bought the content with the disc", only to have you buy updates and upgrades if you want to keep playing. If people support shit like this, then those days on which you just put the game on and played will be gone; any chance of borrowing your friend's copy of Street Fighter is effectively destroyed.

Developers from all over the world have become greedy fucks that only care about money. Capcom, Ubisoft, Activision, even Namco to an extent, all these companies (and many others of course) have become so hungry for money that they'll just half ass a game with a core gameplay that works and use it as an excuse to keep you buying DLC for the whole year until they finish an equally shitty sequel. The digital model is just an excuse they'll use to half ass their games even more and bombard you with DLC even harder. If we want this industry to survive, we cannot support shit like this.

And on the next gen consoles... I haven't really seen them, so I can't comment (although I'm keeping my expectations low).

I'm sorry, but I can't see myself supporting a console that absolutely requires an internet connection. It's completely ridiculous. I'm sure we all have an experience where the internet has gone out for whatever reason at one time or another. To be denied the pleasure of playing the video game at all is completely reprehensible.

fuck this. I'm stickin' with my ps3 for years to come. They tried that internet only shit with diablo 3, and it backfired because I guess they didn't realize how many people played D2 single player.

I knew there would come a day when I put video games behind me, looks like that day is coming sooner than I expected. This is probably the console generation where I quit.

Truth be told, I'm not seeing how games being exclusively digitally distributed would ever cause prices to be lowered. No game company would ever from the kindness of their heart lower prices if the used game market disappeared, they would just attempt to rake in cash from increased new game sales (should there be any). Competition causing lower prices is one of capitalism's few virtues, with the absence of competition from the used games market I hold it far more likely that game prices would be increased.

Again I would like to remind people that this is just a rumor and none of the experts (various magazines and game sites) believe that it will actually be a feature of the 720 or PS4. I'm just asking people their opinions on what a system that did this might be like to them.

I think the closest thing in the foreseeable future is maybe if Valve really does release it's Steam Box idea. The only difference there is that it probably still won't require a constant internet connection but it deals with all the other things that come with it like only new purchases (since it would probably all be digital transactions) and the complete removal of used games.

Truth be told, I'm not seeing how games being exclusively digitally distributed would ever cause prices to be lowered. No game company would ever from the kindness of their heart lower prices if the used game market disappeared, they would just attempt to rake in cash from increased new game sales (should there be any). Competition causing lower prices is one of capitalism's few virtues, with the absence of competition from the used games market I hold it far more likely that game prices would be increased.

Part of the costs of games is the manufacturing of the disks and the shipping costs of sending them to stores so digital only would cut down the prices to some degree. And remember that there are many companies that are making games so if just one of them starts lowering their prices a whole lot and people flock to it then the others would have to make similar shifts or lose out on a large part of their customer base.

My question is; is the current gen tech really all that bad, and how much better will this next gen's be? The only thing i see as being a viable change is Microsoft's transition to BluRay. ...Then again.. we've yet to see what these new machines hold. Ultimately... if this Online-only function becomes a thing, i see myself switching to PC.

tl;dr- Bitching about having to drop another 4/500$, hoping its not online-only.

Three hundred and ninety-nine US dollars.

I dont think its true at all. False rumor imo and if its true well won't bother me since I won't be buying those systems then right now xbox 360 is all I need.

My thoughts and advice on this issue.

If the console blocks used games, I'm not buying it and you shouldn't either. End of fucking story. Don't let companies think they can get away with this.
I'm not buying any console on release. Last thing I want to do is end up like one of those retards that actually bought the PS3 or Wii U at launch when they were spectacular nogaems machines.
If you're looking for graphics, buy a PC.

Hey, any of you ever buy a game for PC? There is no such thing as a used game. Lol

You do realize once the code is used it can't be used again right? If someone sold you a game it either wasn't used or the game simply didn't require a key.

If that is the case with these new next gen systems, wtf am i gonna do when i forget to pay my cable bill? Seems like a dumb move considering all the sales they would lose due to certain things. Such as you ger players whos parents dont let them play online. I just recently let my son play COD online. Didnt want him exposed to the "online mentality" to young. Just doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

Back