Algol Combo & Tech Trap Discussion

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but I noticed that when doing 44B 4A+B BE, that you can only get all 4 bubbles to hit if 44B landed at point blank range, if you were slightly away from the opponent 3 of the bubbles will hit. This is okay though because all you need to is just adjust your bubble combo ender timing accordingly.

I also have this combo which I can't remember if it appears in the bubble combo video or not:

44B 4A+B BE 2A+B A+B 66A+B hits for 95 damage and leaves the opponent pretty much at max distance.

That said I rarely land a single bubble combo in battle as 44B is so slow it's almost useless as a punish and is super easy to sidestep because it is so telegraphed.

Apparently I was totally wrong about 4B+K not catching back ukemi/rolls, it does it off more moves than it doesn't. As for how practical this is in actual matches, probably not so much. But if you notice them repeatedly back ukemi/roll after certain things the reward can be huge. Here's what it works on:

These moves catch a back ukemi or back roll doing 4B+K pretty much asap:
66A+B - as shown in vid by PANDA posted in general discussion recently. Causes glitchy crap if they ukemi, can combo to BT A+B or quick turn around CE.
3AA
33ABK
44AA+B
3B
66B+K
6A+B

These moves you have to delay 4B+K to catch back roll.
22_88A
66B
6KK
7_8_9B+KK
6B+K

Ok, so with the following combo:

44B, 4A+B B.E., 2A+B, A+B, stance B, is that 100% guaranteed? or can it be DI'd?

I've been trying to experiment in what combos would net us the best damage for the meter gain for meterless combos. These are my few results:

Using 44B as a starter:
44B, 66A+B, 4BA - 83 Damage - Lowest meter gain of the three combos (fills about less than 1/4 meter)
44B, 66B+K AT - 84 Damage - Slightly Better meter gain and sets up for Chair Vortex (fills close to 1/4 meter)
44B, 33_99ABK - 85 Damage - Best meter gain of the three, high RO possibility, good chance for Clean Hit on the kick
(fills over 1/4 meter with 33ABK alone)

Using 4BA as a starter:
4BA, QI AB,B - 61 Damage (barely nets meter, probably about 1/8, but good if going for the KO)
4BA, 623B - 55 Damage - (easily grants close to 1/4 meter)

I'll try and post more later if I have the time!

44B, 33_99ABK - 85 Damage - Best meter gain of the three, high RO possibility, good chance for Clean Hit on the kick
(fills over 1/4 meter with 33ABK alone)

At the end of this combo, against Pyrrha 2K is guaranteed because it hits ground after it and catches all tech. Astaroth can tech the 2K back or right though. 2A is a tech catch against all characters after it

At the end of this combo, against Pyrrha 2K is guaranteed because it hits ground after it and catches all tech. Astaroth can tech the 2K back or right though. 2A is a tech catch against all characters after it

This is good, with the extra 2K, it yields more damage and more meter gain on those who can be hit by the guaranteed 2K.

Edit: What are the best post Guard Break combos in terms of meterless, 1 BE, 1+ BE?

This is good, with the extra 2K, it yields more damage and more meter gain on those who can be hit by the guaranteed 2K.

Edit: What are the best post Guard Break combos in terms of meterless, 1 BE, 1+ BE?
44B > 33ABK = ~90 damage (chance of clean hit)
44B > 66B+K = 90 damage.
66B > CE2 = 202 damage, full meter.
44B > 8A+B > 3B BE > QI Flip B > 3B BE > QI flip A+BB BE > 3B BE > QI flip B > 3B = 191 damage, builds back almost half a bar.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, he probably has some stuff for half or one bar with 44B > 4A+B BE > stuff that I can't remember.

Here's something I'm not sure has been mentioned yet (at least it's not in the sticky). From crouching, with full meter, it seems
FC8B, CE is the best option for 138dmg.

Also, CE combos after 22B, for 128dmg

It's possible to set up a column of 8A+B bubbles by dashing up after each one and shooting it directly under the previous one. Launch your opponent up into them with 44B, 3B, or WRB and followup with 66B+K.

Requirements: an opponent whose controller just died.

Also, lol: 44B (up into 4 8A+B bubbles floating over their head) > QI Flip B > 3B BE > QI A+BB BE > 3B BE > QI A+BB = 228 damage.

Found that the BE loops from 3B(BE)>QI B fail on these characters air controlling left:
Ezio, Raphael, Viola, Hilde, Cervy, Maxi, Astaroth, Edgemaster.

It usually fails when you go for a 2nd QI B, it misses or hits without the special face-in-the-floor effect.

Found that the BE loops from 3B(BE)>QI B fail on these characters air controlling left:
Ezio, Raphael, Viola, Hilde, Cervy, Maxi, Astaroth, Edgemaster.

It usually fails when you go for a 2nd QI B, it misses or hits without the special face-in-the-floor effect.

This seems to be a timing issue rather than one with those characters being able to entirely evade those combos (similar to what happens to 66B~BE Loop if you do the first 3B BE too early). I tested it after 3B BE and ch 1B as starters and was able to land the 2nd QI B in the loop complete with ground splat. Also, the problem only seemed to be present in the ch 1B combo to begin with.

This seems to be a timing issue rather than one with those characters being able to entirely evade those combos (similar to what happens to 66B~BE Loop if you do the first 3B BE too early). I tested it after 3B BE and ch 1B as starters and was able to land the 2nd QI B in the loop complete with ground splat. Also, the problem only seemed to be present in the ch 1B combo to begin with.
I see, well when I tested I was doing it off 4B+K>2A+B. I'll try it out some more.

I see, well when I tested I was doing it off 4B+K>2A+B. I'll try it out some more.

vs Ezio, Raphael, Viola, Hilde, Cervy, Maxi, Edgemaster :
3B BE > QI B > 3B BE > QI A+BB BE > delay > 3B BE QI B
it's not too hard to get if you pay attention to their height or just get used to the delay timing needed. delay too long and you wont get a groundsplat

vs Asta:
I can't get the 2nd QI B he is way too close. It seems to be because the QI A+BB pushes him a lot more than most characters and this causes you to be too close for QI B after the teleport

I would argue that for consistency stake against Asta, do a 66B BE > 4BA instead of a 3B BE QI B > 3B

Of course it nets you less damage, but you can get him more frequently than not.

I would argue that for consistency stake against Asta, do a 66B BE > 4BA instead of a 3B BE QI B > 3B

Of course it nets you less damage, but you can get him more frequently than not.

though ironically 66B BE > 4BA doesnt' combo on asta either if he aircontrol back/right. you have to do 66B> 1K -_-

new combos thanks to the totally unnecessary buff to QI B in the patch

QI B > 3B BE > QI A+BB (75) 25% meter
QI B > 3B BE > QI A+BB BE > 66B (93) 50% meter
QI B > 3B BE > QI A+BB BE > 3B BE > QI B > 3B (130) 75% meter
QI B > 3B BE > QI A+BB BE > 3B BE > QI B > 3B BE > QI A+BB (157) 100% meter
QI B > CE (161) 100% meter

tech trap:
QI B > 44B* catch all tech except left tech vs algol/pyrrha/asta, but catch all tech vs NM

have fun

Back