[Buffalo, NY] How'd we get to be so S-RANK?

The example you gave me about those FPS guys (assuming it's FPS I have no idea who they are) just shows that he couldn't overcome having to make last second adjustments.

It's not a matter of overcoming, they had just about assuredly lost when they had someone have to play on a friend's computer. We're talking about the best in the game, here. Had it happened to Loaded or any other team, I have all confidence the same results would've occured unless they could relocate someplace with a bizarrely similar setup to their normal one.

It's more that changing equipment, hell, even changing lighting, the paint of the room you play in, the chair, desk, everything can have a huge impact on gameplay if you're not used to having to deal with differing environments, which typically PC gamers don't, but even at LANs they at least use their normal keyboard and mouse. I tend to be an extreme case of this, though it's not attitude so much as it simply is. If external factors aren't perfect, I play far below half as good as I can at my best. For instance, I can barely play my PC games without my noise cancelling headphones, lest my cat's claws catching on the rug keep me from concentrating. I'm that sensitive to my surroundings, and it sucks, but it is what it is.

Fighting games are a little different in that they tend to have noise, distractions, spectacle even before the tournament setting, and in a way that's exciting to me. Learning to adapt and deal with people shouting and such is a valuble skill, sure, I'm not denying that. The fact that changes in barometric pressure can severely impact my playing is a hurdle I'm going to have to overcome, and I'm completely okay with that, but learning to use uncomfortable input devices is where I draw the line. I've used 6 face buttons, circular D-pad since back in the SNES days when most controllers had those painful plus d-pads and flimsy buttons. I'm not changing now.

I just think it's a different outlook. If you think less of me because of it, well, there's nothing I can do I guess. I think just playing at someone else's place will help me get better at dealing with distractions and the unusual sitting/lighting arrangements--which is to say, not my normal chair or 60w bulb in a floor lamp with a offwhite shade placed exactly 90 and 3/8th inches behind and to the left of me. But, while I'm sure some people are able to play on any controller at a fairly good level simply 'cause they're so good at the mechanics and mindgames that the hit to their execution won't be so crucial as I mentioned before, I, personally, would much rather stick with what I'm comfortable with while I work on my joystick skills on the side, as it's more helpful in the long run anyway, not throw myself at a pad I hate for no reason other than it being more commonly available.

By the way, I'm not even entirely joking about barometric pressure affecting my gameplay. Humidity definitely affects it. In a related story, after I aced a pickup team composed of Loaded, HF and other top teams twice in a scrim while in underwear, and then a day later played awfully and we lost against a terrible team we'd beaten time after time before while wearing jeans, it was decided that I was never allowed to play TF2 with pants on again. So I think the moral of that story is, I may have a bad attitude, but at least I'm clothed. :O

Barometr.......I.........I don't.......huh?

Well in any case, you're probably gonna have a rough go of things if you can't overcome stuff like that. I mean, we're all rooting for you? We root for everyone that comes along to do well and enjoy the game, I hate SF4 so much I could puke, and I still honestly and truly want all of these guys to succeed in it and enjoy themselves. But you've gotta work around that attitude. It's not something that "just is" it is 100% about attitude and mindset.

i speak from experience that FPS gamers tend to overexaggerate the effects of equipment, environment etc. FPS players are the most anal players on the planet. even if you change a setting in their .cfg they let that affect them. it's quite sad really.

i for one never let that bother me b/c i played LAN tournaments even without my own keyboard and always did well. i always brought my own mouse + headset though lol.

i tend to play well when the pressure's on, never really shined in scrimmages but tended to do much better in matches. i guess something clicks in my head when i know i'm playing for more than just pride.

yes comfort zone is important but especially in fighting games where you won't be able to play on your own TV, sit in your own regular chair, and etc you gotta be able to adapt on the fly no matter what the case may be.

i always play on a widescreen and tournies tend to be played on standard CRTs, crappier TVs but that will never be my excuse for losing ever, unless the TV has like 3 seconds of lag lol. then anyone can bitch
btw i just played one of the new guys leighton tonight. he mains chun and boxer. has a lot of potential to be a force in our scene! hope chacha comes by smash club or something to meet him and tristan so they could get involved with our crew!

FPS people are assholes for one. and i was able to play on anyone computer and setups. .cfg and shit is just myth and bs. i used to believe that shit, and it has done nothing specially that i have been playing shooters for going on 10 years in december. your attitude is little harsh and stright forward, and i thought i was bad with mine. the distraction u will have to overcome. i have ADD and on no meds for it and i fight it, and i do decently well, for most of the time, and onces i get in my zone i block everything OUT of my head and focus on the game, my strats, and predict with my reactions. if u cant handle noise and other stuff. i suggest bring an mp3 player. otherwise.. i just dont know what else to say dude. if u say your that sensitive to your surrounding.. fighting games isnt for you probably. never hurts to try for a couple of months and see how you deal with it.

i speak from experience that FPS gamers tend to overexaggerate the effects of equipment, environment etc. FPS players are the most anal players on the planet. even if you change a setting in their .cfg they let that affect them.

Depending on how crucial the cvar is... if it's something like interp, that affects the speed your shots come out, and if that happens your normal prediction is thrown out the window. Movement and positioning still gives the best players an edge, but they'll start missing shots they'd hit every time otherwise. If it's something like water reflection, eh... if your FPS starts spiking it can be bothersome I suppose.

FPS gamers are somewhat obsessive and locked in their ways, it's true. I witnessed certain leagues get buried in TFC largely due to them making unpopular config decisions too early, even though some of those decisions became commonplace years later. We also have a tendancy to play the game completely differently from how it's played in a public setting, then call our way the only real way way of playing, at least in team games.

We just like everything to be perfect so that we can play our best, and FPS communities appeal to me for that reason, I don't think it's such a bad thing. FG communities are a world apart, but also appeal in a different way, mostly that it's more laid back and it's always nice when something ridiculous happens and the room bursts into laughter or just starts yelling. Similar to how the games themselves appeal for different reasons.

I'm not saying my way is right, just that it's my way, and that if nothing else, if no other factor I can control, I can choose to not use the PS3 controller 'cause I hate it.

chris i'll bring those buttons tonight and once my plexi gets here and i figure out what art i wanna use i'll have a sanwa stick for you aswell.

again i'll post this pic if anyone could do some editing let me know http://www.desktopexchange.com/gallery/Berserk_wallpaper/Berserk_16

Chris, do you need a Sanwa stick? I have an extra that I'm not using and probably won't use if you're interested. I could bring it tonight. If you already have something set up then no sweat, just offering.

Sounds like there will be a lot of action tonight; assigned character ranbat sounds very exciting.

On a different note, I won't respond to everything Crab has said but I feel him when he says that atmosphere/ambiance play a big role in fighting games. It's like that for me; I play a lot of Street Fighter and though I don't necessarily know the strict technical side of it I really try to play the game intuitively and understand what I'm doing. Problem is, I get flustered/excited/anxious when playing "competitively" and I'm having a hard time really figuring out how to use that energy positively. Doesn't mean I'm not willing to really try and improve my game, and I don't think sensitivity to environment, for example, determines what is right or wrong for someone.

um crab.. i didnt post that... zerofxi did..

btw i wont be there until after the sabres game tonight. home opening night.

Chris, do you need a Sanwa stick? I have an extra that I'm not using and probably won't use if you're interested. I could bring it tonight. If you already have something set up then no sweat, just offering.

Yes, bring it along for sure. We'll figure out how much you want for it, if I need to get more money I can. Kyle I'll have the money for your buttons on hand for sure. Hopefully the Sanwa will fit easily in the SE case, I think they all do? I dunno we'll see lol, it'd be nice to have the upgrade.

Although of course, I've been making do with what I've got now, and doing the best I can with that. Wink nudge.

Yes, bring it along for sure. We'll figure out how much you want for it, if I need to get more money I can. Kyle I'll have the money for your buttons on hand for sure. Hopefully the Sanwa will fit easily in the SE case, I think they all do? I dunno we'll see lol, it'd be nice to have the upgrade.

Although of course, I've been making do with what I've got now, and doing the best I can with that. Wink nudge.

sanwas fit into SE perfectly. same size as the madcatz.

yeah no one's criticizing anyone for being right/wrong for having sensitivity to the environment. just saying everyone has to adapt to adversities no matter what the case, using it as an excuse is just poor. i do it too at times, no one's perfect.

i know the FPS LAN tournament scene all too well. people bitch all the time about stupid things that doesn't even determine matches 'cause they lost. pretty stupid if you ask me.

man when it came to CS i was able to use any set up and not bitch about it, and destroy people. specially at cyberjocks. i used their shit and i used to go 80 and 1 lol.

I'm not gonna make it in tonight - having some issues with my car and it sounds like the weather might not be so great. There was hail earlier :/ Sorry everyone, see you next week. Good luck tonight. Brian, feel free to roll me in the new assignments if you do that again.

Sooooo...

I saw some major improvement in Kyle's game today because he's thinking outside the box! Anyone who feels like they have plateau'd either needs to 1) think outside the box, 2) try to predict 2 to 3 moves ahead of time, 3) give an alternate character a serious try. What I have been doing lately is getting people into uncomfortable situations and using a move that I should blatantly not use as a mindgame, such as using an overhead that isn't in a combo....i've caught you guys with that at least 60% of the time and if it's blocked I try to have enough meter to FADC!

On another note, make sure you guys are having fun playing...if you are not having fun you shouldn't be playing at all, straight up. I play this game because I love competition and the thrill of a match coming down to the last second. I am also enjoying almost every match I play regardless of whether I win or lose...aside from Honda from time to time :p Too many people got too angry today--take a deep breath, step back, and realize what you're doing is a hobby, not a way of life. I get frustrated myself from time to time, but I try to shrug it off as best I can and move on. High stress leads to a poor quality of life, dudes! Something done for fun shouldn't have such a negative impact on your demeanor.

In any event, great matches today everyone. Brian, you have some damn good Cammy mindgames and I am legitimately afraid when I play you even though the matchup is in Balrog's favor heavily. I feel the same way when I play Tony G's blanka, so that's saying something.

I am not 100% certain I can make it this Thursday because I have a rather large exam Friday evening, but I'll see where I'm at with my studies and how irritated I am with memorizing statistics.

Soapbox done!
Also, I think we need to focus less on characters with 'stupid moves' and figure out ways to counter them/throw the player who uses them off their game. I noticed tonight that no one ever grabs me through a block string anymore. Why? Because I option select throw every block string anyone tries against me. How do you beat someone who option selects throw every time? It's up to you guys to figure it out. I have a few crutches that make me the player that I am, and week after week I continue to abuse those little things and beat you guys....instead of getting frustrated you should be thinking about how to beat that tactic. A good player is a thinking player is a happy player.

Hopefully everyone has noticed that I don't jab nearly as much anymore, but instead try to bait you guys into doing something unsafe when I know I can punish it. I can count the number of times I landed my BnB 5 hitter tonight on two hands. I am poking and throwing much more than I ever have before...revamp your games.

As des said today, "Step yo game up son"

thanks man i feel like i played better too except for that first match against dave, lol good shit dave.

btw justin wong won that tourny with fei long.....wow

we need to rethink the random select thing.. if we want it to be beneficial, it's inefficient to be learning a new character every week. and i think today has shown how little anyone cared b/c basically no one came prepared.

if we want to do this secondary character thing we should be able to choose a secondary character that we actually have interest in learning and use that in the tourney before or after the ranbats.

this way we accomplish what we set out to do with the random select to begin with, which is to keep sf4 fresh by learning new matchups, having fun b/c we actually like the characters we're learning/playing and learning new ways to win.

as for people getting frustrated and mad, that's what happens in a competitive atmosphere. as long as you get over it quickly, it doesn't matter. you should always care enough about something to get mad about it, just don't let it eat at you. no matter what anyone says.. yeah you play to have fun but if you play for competition... you play to win. you don't play to just play.

i was pretty salty tonight but w/e i'm over it lol i get over petty things like this real quick. i usually don't let stuff get to me but i guess i was easily irritated tonight. happens to the best of us

Back