CaS Review Thread

Aesthetics: V only has two colors, and the design is deceptively simple, but the balancing of white and black is masteful. The boldness of the stripes on his limbs are balanced by the relative modesty of the upper body. The high lateral asymmetry (more black above, more white below) and high diversity of shapes (straight stripes, angled jacked) also stave off the homogeneity often associated with black/white color schemes.

Technique: Very high. I can see the tribal sticker around the mouth, but I still can't figure out the nasolabial fold or the eyebrows. Needless to say, if you have me stumped, you've done a pretty good job. Good use of the star (and no, I didn't miss it, even the first time lol) to cut out the jacket and the Chinese characters of write the "V". Oh, and the rosy cheeks with the demon horns and the top hat with the cylinder.

Coherence: V is supposed to be all black, which doesn't really go well in SCV CAS, but this alternate costume does the trick, bringing out his whimsical, trolling side as I mentioned before. The sharp cuts of his tailored clothing is both theatrical and elegant, fitting for the man who blew up the Old Bailey in time with the 1812 Overture. Excellent work.

Aesthetics: V only has two colors, and the design is deceptively simple, but the balancing of white and black is masteful. The boldness of the stripes on his limbs are balanced by the relative modesty of the upper body. The high lateral asymmetry (more black above, more white below) and high diversity of shapes (straight stripes, angled jacked) also stave off the homogeneity often associated with black/white color schemes.

Technique: Very high. I can see the tribal sticker around the mouth, but I still can't figure out the nasolabial fold or the eyebrows. Needless to say, if you have me stumped, you've done a pretty good job. Good use of the star (and no, I didn't miss it, even the first time lol) to cut out the jacket and the Chinese characters of write the "V". Oh, and the rosy cheeks with the demon horns and the top hat with the cylinder.

Coherence: V is supposed to be all black, which doesn't really go well in SCV CAS, but this alternate costume does the trick, bringing out his whimsical, trolling side as I mentioned before. The sharp cuts of his tailored clothing is both theatrical and elegant, fitting for the man who blew up the Old Bailey in time with the 1812 Overture. Excellent work.

Again, it is like you were in my head when i thought this one out to be an original recreation. You psychic !

I know some of you here sometimes think i am too flamboyant in my bold choice of patterns and details, so i wanted this one to be a rather simple design, but one the trained eye could still scrutinize to get small details and tricks and yes, what i think was a rather brilliant idea for the mask...the tribal sticker isn't only used around the mouth, it covers the whole face, the upper part of the sticker do the brows, sides to the fold, bottom does the part of the goatee below the mouth and stache and smirk, then i covered with a moon sticker and basic shapes, that is all (nothing really high level here, just careful and precise stickerwork)
Hiding the right portions of the sticker to get that irreverent face looking just the part...

The only small mistake you have made is that the rosy cheeks could never have been done with the horns (the bottom of the horns is dark grey and cannot be painted bright pink / rosy). No, sir, the rosy cheeks are carefully placed goggles that barely emerge from the surface of the mask. They have that pale and slightly reflective glint that gives the impression they are just painted ceramic and fully part of the Guy Fawkes attire.

Another 9,9/10 review from you, mon ami ! Thanks

There's definitely some awesome work here and very talented folks!
I've been itching to post what i have made, but at such a low level, with so few parts, i'm not sure i should yet.
What do you guys think? Should i post my stuff? And just upgrade and change things as i progress in the game?

There's definitely some awesome work here and very talented folks!
I've been itching to post what i have made, but at such a low level, with so few parts, i'm not sure i should yet.
What do you guys think? Should i post my stuff? And just upgrade and change things as i progress in the game?
Nice to meet you, @DoktorDare. I'm BruceGe, the primary reviewer round these parts. I think it's always good to get some hands-on experience and feedback before you try whippin' out a masterpiece. IOW practice makes perfect. This way you can work on basics like color coordination (brightness, saturation, balance), sticker placement (axis/view), and special equipment usage (especially those paired items). Feedback is especially helpful here. Once you're comfortable with the system, then you can start being a lil' more selective with your posts.

If you're interested, here's an old example of the logic I go through with my CaS:
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_7ex.png

I established pink as my primary color. A purple/pink combination just wouldn't have had enough pop, so I went with green/pink (opposites on color wheel). To offset the clash, I brought the saturation way down. Then I noticed that the pink, green, and white are all light, powdery colors, so I decided to make the sash a deep, dark red. Since red is simply a darker shade of pink, I also avoid complicating the color scheme with an additional color. You can see the final product here: http://8wayrun.com/threads/a-mini-gallery.12594/page-7[/spoiler]

Last edited:
Hello! I've seen you around
I think we're friends on PSN. n.n;

But yeah i've been messing around with colours and patterns.
...i think tomorrow i'll make a thread and take and post pictures of what i have so far, and just keep it updated with new versions as i unlock things and new creations in general. I'm at level 9 right now.
Plus i'd like to document different versions of characters and track the growth of them.
:-)

Purple is a good colour but you have to know what works best with it and what doesn't.
Overall I think it's cool, especially the new version ^_^
I like the choices for the greenish colour, the hair-pieces and the moon symbols on the chest, using ZWAI's jacket were all good choices :)

What I'm seeing is a nice plain start, but it has potential to be better. I can't put my finger on it, but what is the wolf spirit supposed to be?

Small detailed stuff I'm pointing out....

Is he an elegant yet wild rogue aristocrat fencer wolf?

The kanji on his sash suggests he might have something to do with something oriental?

I could try to nitpick much as I can, but I'm not certain of what he's supposed to be. In general, when you see someone like Mitsurugi, you know he's a samurai from Japan that has the looks of an veteran who still seeks the best of challenges. The whole design screams it even if stereotyped incorrectly.

The color scheme could use some other stuff to make it pop, but for now I'm curious as to what he's supposed to be.

I'm genuinely curious as to what people think of this canine CaS I put together.

ns8D5.png

At the very least, I like to think that this colour version is better than the garish horror I first came up with a few months beforehand.

eUjyW.jpg
Actually, I think the design's good. The moon motif goes naturally with wolves. The hair extensions are nifty too. The only problem's that he looks too much like ZWEI with a wolf head. If you wanna pull off character DLC, you gotta push it in a different angle to keep things fresh.

I mostly like recreating characters, but sometimes I may make simple originals focusing on either humor or aesthetics.

Can someone review my first original character?

soulcalibur-_2-png.39773
The color balance is really good. Light blue on the belt, breastplate, and shoes as primary color. Black is secondary color on shirt pants and trophy base. Yellow is the highlight/tertiary color, since it contrasts with both the light blue and the black. Matching the scarf to the trophy was a great idea since you achieve color contrast without complicating the design with an extra color. Just the right amount of color matching. The blue/yellow color scheme is characteristic of royalty, which is fitting for a champion. The bright scarf is also a staple for heroes, champions, and the like. I do feel that the belt can be swapped out for something else though. The size and shape of the belt is too similar to the cat crest on the breastplate. It's kinda like seeing two big circles stacked on each other. A slightly more linear (straight, ropy, etc.) belt would help fix this. In addition, rather than relying on DLC, it would have been cool to see some more customization with stickers and patterns, but he looks good as he is. Overall, a thoroughly commendable foray into the world of original creation.

Edit: Oh, and as I noted in the contest, the trophy was really cool gadget.

Thanks for the review. I really agree with your advice of trying something different from the champion's belt item and exploring the use of stickers and patterns for the costume design.
I had a lot of fun making the character since I tried designing it around a simple and funny concept. I'm not sure when I will try making an original characters again but I think this is the approach I will usually take since it is what I had the most fun with.

Hey guys, here something that...is not really my usual stuff so, I need help knowing, the overall level of, I am rust and all, so haha sorry for anything.

soulcalibur-_19-png.40397

soulcalibur-_20-png.40398

Attachments

• SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_19.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_19.png
    759.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_20.png
    SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_20.png
    800.6 KB · Views: 921
Hey guys, here something that...is not really my usual stuff so, I need help knowing, the overall level of, I am rust and all, so haha sorry for anything.

soulcalibur-_19-png.40397

soulcalibur-_20-png.40398
I like the military direction of your CaS, which is established by the belt, shoes, and beret. The bows, flower, and zettai ryouiki emphasizes the design's femininity. However, I do have a couple suggestions. The color distribution is a little too homogeneous/uniform. It's a mix of red, brown, and white spread almost equally throughout the body. I'd say keep the leggings and the belt white, but change the pants and shoes to a different color from the top like black. Then to increase the design's overall color contrast, use a brighter shade of red on the limbs and torso. Just for extra bling, see if you can add some bright gold, possibly to the criss-cross pattern on the shirt or the buckles on the shoes. Gold works on almost anything. Also, look into using some of the more slim-fit armor equipment to play up the military angle. What kind of back story does this character have? I'm picturing palace guard for some reason. She needs some fine-tuning, but you're off to a great start. Keep up the good work!

I feel like this is a job for me, hehe after all it was me who request it.

1. Aesthetics: She certainly grasp the concept of masculine woman knight, the pieces of choice seems appropriate because while is a heavy armor it have lighter bits, the chestplate is simply genius, it build an originality that make her stand between the other characters she is surrounded, I like her more veteran knight and more rough appearance. The colors were very well used, they stand in their own way, but nothing that would look too flamboyant to a battlefield. The neck piece is just, really good, but I guess this is where you are feeling like there is something missing, the leather wrap while give some fluidity, it still heavy and still, so maybe the neck piece would be a better combo with a small cape.

2. Creativity: Dude....she is new, truly she is her own character and the chestplate and neck piece make a true stand here, the colors used are very fitting for an veteran knight, a true King's Guard Lv 5. Hehe

3. Coherence: Like I've said, you grasped the whole concept you were going, and I am impressed by how well you put everything together, so cuddles for that. She is heavy, but not that much, she is still but the circlet reveals a small amount of femininity. It is truly a good work man.

Back