Cervantes Q&A / General Discussion

1.) Backstep and wait or into anything.
2.) Another 33B.
3.) 66A/66B/11K etc.
4.) 44A+B in rare occasions in which your opponent isn't respecting it at all although extremely risky.

Number 1 will tell you what their habits are and even works as counter bait. After that it's really up to you to build the mixup according to your opponent's habits after blocking it.

This move is extremely valuable against turtles as the move itself deals lots of guard damage and it's safe. If you manage to land it it's even better. But it's flaw obviously consists of being extremely linear and somewhat slow. But if your opponent is stepping it, it just means you aren't locking them up with random 66A_44A's.

Also, don't forget it's force crouch properties as it limit their options post-block in your favor.

What do you guys favor the most for anti-step? I think 44A is really good in it's own right, but too slow to be spammable.

I agree. I also, find it's range somewhat limited but a mid move that deals good guard damage while remaining safe is definitely not to be ignored. At i28 it is definitely hard to land it against a good player so my aim when using it is more to cause guard damage than damage itself. Although, it is quite possible to use it as a wall combo starter after a Guard burst when the wall is to your left for maximum damage. (While typing this it came to my mind a picture of this move having a sign on top of Cervantes saying: "You will block me!" lol. Such randomness I know haha. As I realized this move freezes and make them block on reaction lol.)

We can't forget 1AB either. Although very unsafe, you are prompt to fish counter hits most of the time if you opponent is being reckless.

It's really up to range, scenario and opponent stepping habits. If you want to lock step while doing serious guard damage and being safe or your opponent is stepping and quickly ducking waiting for 66A then 44A might do the trick although a fast 2A with nice range might kill the mixup but its very tedious considering all variables anyway. If you opponent can poke you out then you should watch your 44A uses and rely more on 66A. 1AB when close and you know your opponent is gonna step. At least that's how I see it.

It doesnt make sense to not release it ..its already on the disc. Maybe we get a suprise Xmas Dlc....i m optimistic.

Actually it is not on the disk. The DLC parts are separate files from the main character costumes. On top of that the main character costumes are, I think, one giant part (you notice that when you change the colors it does so for the entire outfit at once) where as the DLC versions are broken down into separate parts for each area and also have to be made compatible with the different CaS sized and customizable body shapes so yes they do have to put a little bit of effort into making them available for custom use. Now this isn't an excuse to not release them I'm just saying that they are more-likely-than-not (its happened on other games so I can't be 100% certain on this) already on the disk as you say.

How can I improve my gameplay?
I never use iGDR because it always gets blocked and that's like -4,000 on block, but you guys judge, please
I just started with him

Well, I'm also an Omega main who dabbles in Cervantes, so hopefully I can give a few pointers. While iGDR is death on block, it can be used as a great whiff punisher, in a similar way to DNS B. Cervantes has a great backstep and it's a very potent tool, especially when followed by a 3B or iGDR to punish any subsequent whiffs, provided you feel confident in getting a successful punish.

And I already told you to be careful with using DC as a method of approaching the opponent - the long range options are either steppable, easy to JG and/or punishable while the close range mix ups are pretty seeable. Also, 4A+B isn't worth the risk imo. It has its rare uses, like I think it can be usable in the Maxi MU, but it's damn unsafe. And he has better options from FC than WS A+B.

It's probably also worth getting to know the range on aB - once you prove to your opponent that you can consistently use it as an i11 punisher, fear of the move itself should start to shut down a lot of their gameplay, kinda like the fear of Omega's stab punishes. Plus, you always have 1AB for the mix up pressure.

And if this is all terrible advice, I'm sure someone in the SA will come and correct me :P

I just tried using iGDR as a whiff punisher and it worked! unfortunely I can't do it all the times yet, sometimes I only get a normal GDR but I guess it's all about practice lol

and about the aB I don't really understand why people don't punish it, i'm pretty sure it is -18 on block or something like that... should I keep on spamming it? i don't know if it works well for guard damage

and about the aB I don't really understand why people don't punish it, i'm pretty sure it is -18 on block or something like that... should I keep on spamming it? i don't know if it works well for guard damage
I know, right? I think it's because it's a very fast move with a very short blockstun, so by the time you realise you can punish it and press buttons, he's no longer at -18. It also has a bit of pushback too, making it safe at mid range for some of the cast. I always advocate the "if it works, do it" mentality, but be aware of the fact that decent opponents will know it's punishable, even if they struggle to punish it, so if you spam it, they'll start to wait for you to use it again so they can hit you hard for it.

I've never even considered its use as a GB tool, so I've never tested whether it has any guard damage. Though my favourite guard pressure tool with Cervantes would have to be 33B - insane pushback, forces crouch on block, and it's only -3 so you can condition the opponent not to press buttons after it. I seriously double-take every time it hits CH and clean hit, the damage is unbelievable! I guess it's kinda analogous to Omega's 66B - it's great when they block it and take the crazy GB damage, and you can sometimes continue to apply pressure, what the move only being -2; just be wary that if you spam either of these moves, they might start to realise they can step (or tech) it.

Yup, though with those two moves being steppable I do also like the occasional 4A for guard damage too. Yeah, it's slow, but people generally shouldn't duck it because 4aB exists.

Back