Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

Thank Goddess that Helena is on the list. Now I can have my dream tag team of Hitomi and Helena.
The great Offense/Defense Duo!
hitomi_doa-35.jpg

DOA4_Helena_2.jpg

Love the demo, can't wait for the final game to be out. Things I've noticed:

-Jabs no longer reset the stun counter [like in DOA Dimensions].
-Counter window is definitely shorter.
-New delay charge strings designed to punish a counter mid-string (i.e. Hayate's PP6PK regular or PP6[P]K charged 3rd hit where opponent can usually counter the 3rd attack).
-Lots of new attack strings, some DOA4 strings removed.
-Environmental damage still seems a bit high..
-Sidewalking is to be used for ring positioning, NOT evading attacks.
-New sidestep ability (2_8F+P+K) that has slight evasion frames, able to P_K followup.
-New sidestep ability has temporary evasion frames where you can still get hit out of, if you time the sidestep wrong.
-More apparent Counter Hit system: Some moves will give you a high launch (as if using a launcher on max stun counter) on CH, other moves stun on CH but not NH, etc.
-Landing a Power Blow is hard.. can be evaded/stepped/countered/CH if not released. But.. releasing the Power Blow has a lot of priority, and if blocked = massive blockstun.
-Stage transitions: Some areas in stage, you can knock them off to another platform to transition the stage. When opponent is knocked off, they have to react to "hang onto" the edge of the stage/area. Attacker now has option to Attack/Throw. Defender must guess between Blocking/Evading to counter the Attack/Throw and suffer 0 stage transition damage if guessed correctly. If guessed incorrectly, Attacker will land successful Attack/Throw during the stage transition (think Naruto GNT4).
-Can still Crouch Dash (236 x n) and BDC (214 x n).
-Can still shake stuns (need to test how many directional inputs, I forgot).
-Forced techs are harder to do now, probably because of frame changes on the moves.. Hitomi 2KK works well still.
-3 point Counter system (High/Mid/Low) in addition to the advanced counters.
-Game pace seems slower than DOA4 at first, probably due to the adjustment of movelist/strings. But after playing, it "feels" as fast as DOA4 after readjusting (might just end up being a tad slower if anything).. not as fast as DOA2.
-Final game will have 1v1 and Tag mode.
-Ayane is still very very strong.. most of her DOA4 stuff still works.
-Hayate got nerfed from DOA4/Dimensions.. but has some new stuff.

Things I still need to test/check:
-Maximum stun sum before opponent crumples (Jabs = 1, Directional attacks = 2).
-Stun height/stun points required
-Throws/Throw breaks (Are directional/command throws still unbreakable?)
-Counter damage (better-timed counters did more damage before)
-Whiffing counter = 150% if thrown?
-Get up kicks invincibility/crushing get up kicks.
-If there are any gameplay features that can be Disabled in Options (Stage transition minigame, etc.)

I like it a lot so far.. lots of other stuff to test. The ninjas still feel really strong.

-ASZ

Hands down, this is the best DoA ever. I can already say that.

The demo really sold me on what they're doing with this game.

It is considerably more 'paced' than previous outings but the kinds of combos you can do feel so much more sophisticated.

-Power Blows can't be sidewalked apparently but I guess that shows to prove that sidewalking isn't meant to evade moves, but to be used for ring position. You can avoid them with the sidestep (2_8F+P+K) with the right timing, hit them out of charge, or counter them though.
-When opponent blocks Power Blows, opponent is in HEAVY blockstun to the point where semi-fast moves are guaranteed (was able to land Hayate's 6P and 66P iirc, after forcing opponent to block my Power Blow).
-Feels like the stun system is the DOA4 method (http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Critical_Stun_(DoA4)).
-Throws didn't seem to do 150% damage when opponent whiffs a counter, like in DOA4. Maybe throws do less damage now, but damage total is too hard to tell without actual numbers.
-Get up kicks still have invincibility frames, I couldn't find a way to crush them with the "limited" moveset. Better to bait a get up kick and punish them I guess.
-Neutral throws (F+P) are 5 frames and can be broken. Command/directional throws are slower but cannot be broken.

So hard to test without an actual training mode.. but w/e, these are just observations anyway. Also, not sure what type of character-specific changes people want, but here's what I got:

Hayate:
-2_8P+K sidestep is super good.. steps about twice (or slightly more) the distance as universal step (2_8F+P+K) and has evasion properties during the duration until hayate comes to a stop. The P followup (2_8P+K, P) now stuns and doesn't knock down like before.
-Lost his 7P6_236F stance. The new version is 6P+K, which is a dash forward that has 2 mixups: P (high punch) and K (mid launcher, his old 4F+K cartwheel kick from DOA4). 6P+K, K launches high on hit, enabling PP6PK juggle on NH. If they block 6P+K, K, BT 2P stuffs out a lot of things if they try to interrupt you, allowing you to continue offense.
-6P+K mixups are scary when opponent is stunned.
-His new 7P6 is 4P+K, which teleports him backwards a bit and strikes forward. Still good to bait/punish get up kicks.
-Charge moves added to his strings as mentioned before (i.e. PP6PP vs PP6[P]P to punish counters).
-DOA: Dimensions Raijin returns to the movelist (DOA4's Raijin when there was a ceiling).
-DOA4's 3F+K, K, P changed in this game, it's only 2 hits now (3F+K, K).. no more shoulder.
-1PP is still an excellent round starter and crushes high attacks, only NCC now.
-6P is still good to start the round with too.
-Hayate's old 4KK (high launcher) is now 4K6K (high/high). 4KK is (high/mid).
-Good moves to stun with: 6P (mid, only stuns on CH), 66P (mid, wallsplats), 8P (tc, mid).
-Launch from stuns: 8P (mid), 4K6K (high)
-I've been using PP6PK after launcher if I can get them high enough. Otherwise PP2KK to try to forced tech into 66P_throw wakeup. Haven't explored much yet in terms of combos.. trying to get used to the game again.

Ayane:
-Seems she can be played just like DOA4 Ayane.. has some new strings, but her style is pretty much the same.
-iBT (8P) is sexy on oki. BT 44 (forward dashing away while BT) evades get up kicks for bait/punish. BT 7P Ayane jumps over opponent to the other side and ends up in BT, allowing you to punish a get up kick with BT 4K (stuns, launches on CH(?)) for more mixups.
-Her jab (P) still puts her BT. Nice to use during stuns to enter BT to mixup opponent. Can change it up with iBT (8P) if they start high countering.
-BT 66K (cannon spike) and BT 66F+P (BT throw, whiffs if opponent is crouching) still exists.. 236K too (cannon drill).
-Again.. the same shenanigans Ayane is known for, still exists. She's a beast and does a ton of damage.

That's all for now, it's late. BTW, does anyone know what the default arcade stick controls are for DOA? Mine have always been custom.. but I should learn the proper way. As of now I use:

[P] [K] [ ]
[F] [ ] [ ]

-ASZ

I don't get why Hayashi is trying to downplay all the under-the-hood tweaks they made to this game by calling it 'fighting entertainment', as if the game isn't fit to run up alongside its competition.

Perhaps if this was an older Dead or Alive game I might have sympathized with that sentiment but with all the enhancements to DoA5, I'm willing to give it more credence than ever and they should to.

Like what others have said before me, Dead or Alive 5 is going to be a Day 1 buy for me. Haven't done that before, actually! Except for Soul Calibur V, and by accident.

What won me over were the teasers and trailers that Team Ninja put out: at least to my eyes, gameplay looks solid, promising, and visuals are AMAZING. I was wowed when I played SCV for the first time, but DO5 takes the cake, easily.

Like what others have said before me, Dead or Alive 5 is going to be a Day 1 buy for me. Haven't done that before, actually! Except for Soul Calibur V, and by accident.

What won me over were the teasers and trailers that Team Ninja put out: at least to my eyes, gameplay looks solid, promising, and visuals are AMAZING. I was wowed when I played SCV for the first time, but DO5 takes the cake, easily.
Don't forget the fact that the demo is actually fun!

And Robocop! :p

Yay Sarah. Would have preferred Dural or Vanessa> Pai though. Oh well.

Just need some sort of clue that Survival mode is like DOA2/Dimensions.

Back