Defecting SC players

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, for one, have been a fan of fighting games ever since I can remember but there was something about Soul Calibur that caught my attention and I have always found myself playing it nonstop since the days of SC2. Pretty much, I was captivated by this game and wanted to play more sequels.

For me, the last time I played SCV was back in July. So that's like roughly two months ago... I just got bored doing the same modes over and over again. Even online got boring to me and CAS got tiresome too (mostly because it still felt limited what with the lack of editing faces, more special item slots, etc.). So I just haven't been inclined to play the game since then. I don't think I'm going to sell my game and who knows, I may go back to it one day but right now, I don't see myself going to it. I'm saving up to buy TTT2 and DOA5 because for Tekken, I'm a big Tekken fan and after seeing what this game is offering, I might have to suggest this game for the best Fighter of 2012. It sounds and looks like it's going to have loads of content to keep me preoccupied for a long time.

And for DOA5, I've always been more of a sleeper/casual player of the game. It was fun in doses but it got boring real quick to me (sorry, scantily clad females do nothing for me in the game). But when I saw how DOA5 is looking, I was blown away. It makes me want to try and give it a chance because I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

This is why if they plan on making SC6, they really need to add more content. Content is important to a certain extent. It helps keeps players entertained. Not every player is going to be content having limited modes and such. Some players like variety. So in SC6, they really should add more modes, expand and add even more features to CAS (face edit, tons more clothes, etc.) and shouldn't go the three mimic route again. If it does something like this, it could help make the game have more longevity.

I was thinking about trying ttt2 myself. Tons of characters, huge movelists, and of course the tagging system that I loved back in the day with ttt1.

I was never very good at tekken, but if I get it this time I WILL be good eventually :)

Always been a fan of all the different jacks. I'm a sucker for slow, hard hitting behemoths. (I play Sieg, NM, and Astaroth).

Tekken once was my favorite fighting game, but now the the movements seems so hard and little fluid.
Yet it is not a bad game, I just wish that some day Namco care for Soul Calibur as much

We wish. For now, we have a sliver of hope, and we must chase it with all of our might. And if we do not get it, there will be much rejoice.

The game is just a massive disappointment. The new characters lack originality, the old characters lost most of their move-set( I used to enjoy watching a pro Ivy or Setsuka player, Nightmare and his soul charge), the new designs are simply horrible. The street Fighter mechanics are just plain stupid. I wish we could go back in time and tell Namco to just release a Super Soul Calibur IV instead. Phyrra, Pat, Viola and ZWEI should gtfo of soul calibur.

My thoughts on the matter...

From what I gather SC5 died way too quick and faster than any of its past iterations; one of the main reasons I could think of is lack of variety.

Many casuals would rather not compete so they just find other means of having fun. However, to have a variety of modes cut off from later iterations takes away the fun they use to know leaving them very little options.

Imagine CAS being taken off how would these ppl feel? Probably the same way as others whose options were cut off.

Namco has shifted the balance more in favour of the competitive players and with the way SC5 currently stands, it seems to be designed for the arcades (minus the Pat & Pyrra storymode and online) which should have been released in the first place; I do not understand why they change the direction to have it console first.

To sum it up the console edition of every SC game should have been more of a deluxe version of its arcade counterpart with tons of variety for casual players to enjoy and have fun with. Every new iteration usually comes out with a new mode or a couple of new modes and previous modes that can be improved upon. I'm pretty sure casual players expect much of this especially the loyal ones and even if they do leave at least they probably would leave with satisfaction so that there would be less bad mouthing when the next iteration comes out.

My thoughts on the matter...

From what I gather SC5 died way too quick and faster than any of its past iterations; .
SC4 had the luxury of the lack of competing fighters though.

I hope you are not correct though. I don't see the "focus" on competitive players, especially when there was pretty much only 1 balance patch. The lack of manpower to flesh out the rest of the story/CAS parts has little to do with their focus on competitive worthy gameplay.

I'll start and say that I'm still pretty newbish to SC and FG's in general but when it comes down to it, there's just something about SCV that just clicks with me. I don't know if it's the feel, the setting, the excellent music, the unique characters & fighting styles or the fantastic online offerings. So I've been doing all that I can to learn how to play this game properly and recently entered a tournament earlier this month. I was extremely disappointed to see only 6 people there for SCV. That's just downright discouraging and appalling.

Why do so many people not support the FGC by going to tournaments? I understand that it will obviously be harder to travel to tourneys for some but I definitely get the impression that some people just don't pull their weight in supporting the FGC or SC.

As for trying to improve the SCV online community, the problems people face seem to stem from the fact that SCV does do a poor job at teaching a new player how to play the game. The only way how I learned to play this game was to seek out training partners online within the sea of salty scrubs. Having people that you can practise with regularly works serious wonders. It's amazing. I definitely support the idea of trying to help out the players who seem to have desire in learning the game (you can tell from someone's playstyle or their attitude after a match if they'd be conducive to some assistance). The first thing that can be done is to direct these players to 8WayRun and then let them know about the basics, spacing, advantage, etc. If they continue to listen to you, then great! That's one more quality SC player.

As a SC community, we need to support each other as much as possible. Online statistics don't mean anything in the long run. Turnouts at tournaments and events does.

As for me defecting? Well, I will be picking up DOA5 next week, but SC will be my #1 FG. I'll just play both.

I hope you are not correct though. I don't see the "focus" on competitive players, especially when there was pretty much only 1 balance patch. The lack of manpower to flesh out the rest of the story/CAS parts has little to do with their focus on competitive worthy gameplay.
However at the same time they invested by going to competitive scenes to parts of the world and analyze character balance before the game gets released but that's not the main point.

My point is based on how the game was crafted not what the company intends the game to be designed for. As an end-result of this, the game seems more garnered towards competitive players mainly because the gameplay and netcode is solid mostly, that gives me the feeling that Namco/PS has worked hard mostly on that matter; let's not forget that the game was rushed so the lack of manpower couldn't acheive to fulfil what they wanted to add in order to make many casuals happy so as I've posted the end-result is that this game the way it was crafted at such a limited amount of time was designed for competitive players.

After watching some youtube videos on ttt2, I can't believe what I saw. This game has a SHIT TON of characters, humongous move lists, great single player content, awesome tutorial, you name it.

I had my suspicions, but now there is no doubt. Namco dumped a ton of resources into Tekken, and did the bare minimum with SC.

It's official. SC is indeed treated like the retarded step-child of Tekken. I don't understand how people can prefer a game with no air control, stiff movement, and long-winded juggling.

It's really sad, quite frankly. SC has had a lot more innovation in their games than Tekken has over the years, and yet they get shafted for it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, project soul needs a new company to work with; One that has tons of resources, one that cherishes SC, and one that will give it that attention it deserves.

^I agree that SC as well as Project Soul should be given off to a company that actually cares but then again if Namco is making good money off SC then I doubt Namco would surrender its IP.

TBH I don't know if Namco has reached their goal in terms of profitting from SC.

You know, the "retarded step-child", logically, would get more attention. It's like you have a retarded step-child trying to get around without any help or anything at all (Soul Cal). Meanwhile, the normal, well-educated child gets everything he wants (Tekken). Thankfully, Soul Calibur has great mechanics, like the previously mentioned air control.

weeeee dunno why im on this thread again, but im all for a new company to take over,although thats tricky. Ever since after sc3 the lack of modes has just been getting worst and worst simply because there is even less...and imo the balance too....yeah stuff just needs to change.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, project soul needs a new company to work with; One that has tons of resources, one that cherishes SC, and one that will give it that attention it deserves.
Not sure how that works, but Project Soul sure does need it.

The only reason MK was able to do it was because Midway themselves were bankrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back