Defecting SC players

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the community being small I'm not sure about SC2 since I hear a lot of good things about it. All I know is that after SC2 the series started going downhill.
From competitive players from the time I hear good and bad about SCII, more bad though. Casuals praise it either because they like a character from SCII, nostalgia goggles, or the 1P modes.

My opinion of SCII (based around the game engine itself, not the balance of the game, and my casual opinion.)

Game engine: I like that verticals barely have tracking at all, I hate stepG, retarded frame traps everywhere, extremely fast placed(a bit too much), wall splats are strange.

Casual stuff: the 1P modes are meh/gimmicky, bad voice acting, good character designs, interesting stages, good music, the museum is mildly interesting.

Other notes: The training mode sucks!

I loved SCII and SCIII and I don't think SCIII was rushed, actually I feel as if namco gave them enough budget and time but somehow PS managed to screw up with a unbalanced glitchie game and after it the SCIIIAE came, and for me this SCIIIAE is the best entrie in the series and I think most of the people that have play it thinks the same.

From what I remember even upon the release of newer fighting games at SC2's time the community was still activily playing SC2 that is until SC3 but that's based on my scene I'm not sure about the rest of the scene. Sure there were some that probably left but the scene was still there.

Also Azazel SC3 was sorta rushed there was a character that the developers want to add but couldn't. Forgot his name. Not only that modes that were in SC1 and SC2 were cut off and replaced with new ones. If they have enough time probably they would add back those standard modes.

From what I remember even upon the release of newer fighting games at SC2's time the community was still activily playing SC2 that is until SC3 but that's based on my scene I'm not sure about the rest of the scene. Sure there were some that probably left but the scene was still there.

Also Azazel SC3 was sorta rushed there was a character that the developers want to add but couldn't. Forgot his name. Not only that modes that were in SC1 and SC2 were cut off and replaced with new ones. If they have enough time probably they would add back those standard modes.

Well yes, kind rush maybe, but not SCIV or SCV rush...SCIII is still the game with more and best SP content, more characters, best character design, is obvious tho that they didn't have the time to test it and balance it, and that is the reason why SCIII AE is the best in the whole saga.

Well yes, kind rush maybe, but not SCIV or SCV rush...SCIII is still the game with more and best SP content, more characters, best character design, is obvious tho that they didn't have the time to test it and balance it, and that is the reason why SCIII AE is the best in the whole saga.
Oh SC3 was definitely not SCIV and SCV rushed. One reason for that.....

It surely was, but back then they didn't have the chance to patch it, no PSN or XLive, remember? XD

So I've had some time off away from the community to reflect.

Seems like we are at the point in the games life-cycle where the good players are all busy playing, and the forum vultures are left proffering their wisdom to any who will listen, like crazy religious people in the park. Given a lack of intelligent view from the other side (because the people on the other side are playing, or don't have time to listen to whiny teenagers), I can't say I'm surprised.

This is actual the normal cycle of games. The good/interesting players post, argue and fight at the beginning and then move onto continuing to play for as long as it remains interesting. Barring any catastrophic stupidity from the game or community (he he he), this continues on to the next game, or what have you. After that, a trickle of new players comes in and hopefully gets hooked up with the established community, and doesn't fall prey to the game-faqsification of the forums.

Anyways, SC5 is a well designed, well thought out game that rubs people the wrong way. TTT2 is the same old shit but with a dollop of whipped cream on top of that shit. More people will play TTT2, but people who took more than 5 minutes and removed their nostalgia goggles respect SC5 a hell of alot more, just like 3rd strike before it in the 2d realm.

Enjoy your whipped cream covered shit, just stop asking for SC to turn into it.

PS: You will see more of me soon. Hi!

thats not it. you said that sc5 is well designed & well thought out but it just rubs people the wrong way. but its a "soul calibur" game and the people its offending are "soul calibur" fans. and how is this just the normal cycle of a game? its only been out about 5 months and people are already getting bored with it. also, when you ask people to remove their nastalgia goggles, your just asking them to forget what was good about the sreies so that sc5 will seem like a better game. lame

The game was very popular at release, many players, new & old, great reviews and significant exposure via youtube. Then the playerbase dwindled down to what it is now. It's the game, not the promotion.
Although I'm sure a SF4 type marketing campaign would have brought more players, but that is not realistic nor would it change much. Look at SFxT, Capcom heavily promoted that, but at the end, it's all about the game (plus the DLC fiasco)

sure the game was popular when it came out. but it really id have poor promotion. probably for about a month or two people cared about the game and then thats it. reason being i feel is because nobody was supporting the game anymore. after namco dumped a shit ton of cash on the world finals they seemed to just say "fuck it" and soon everyone else followed. or maybe people said "fuck it" first and then namco followed. who knows

thats not it. you said that sc5 is well designed & well thought out but it just rubs people the wrong way. but its a "soul calibur" game and the people its offending are "soul calibur" fans. and how is this just the normal cycle of a game? its only been out about 5 months and people are already getting bored with it. also, when you ask people to remove their nastalgia goggles, your just asking them to forget what was good about the sreies so that sc5 will seem like a better game. lame
games change. deal with it. tag 2 was kinda like tekken 6 tag edition. characters stayed pretty much the same but they added the tag system and some other characters. game is fun as hell and is well designed but honestly there isnt much new. soul 5 was a totally different game from what was previously released. its kind of like how sf changed from 1 to 2 to alpha to ex to 3 to 4.

games change. deal with it. tag 2 was kinda like tekken 6 tag edition. characters stayed pretty much the same but they added the tag system and some other characters. game is fun as hell and is well designed but honestly there isnt much new. soul 5 was a totally different game from what was previously released. its kind of like how sf changed from 1 to 2 to alpha to ex to 3 to 4.
There's a saying, don't fix what isn't broken. I'm just speaking for myself but I prefer the old GI system compared to the new one. With the giant damage boost and BE and CE, I'm not a big fan of either. It's tolerable but I prefer the old system. The reduction of the characters moveset of course brings up the argument of 'these moves are good' compared to the old ones or 'who the hell even used so and so' moves. I myself like the old moveset. As a former Raph player, I dropped him because he became boring to play in SCV. Not because he's dirt tier or whatever or else I wouldn't have picked Zwei as my new main. But yea, that's just my take on SCV. I'm still playing it cuz the game is fun, don't get me wrong. But it could have been 'more fun' in my opinion.

Do you realize that in the eyes of the designers (and anyone who played the games in depth), SC2-4 are considered design failures? They are all considered fatally flawed games, and that is how they played out once intelligent people got their hands on them. The proof is in history.

Did you know SC2 killed SC in Japan? The game was about as popular as a brick through a window. 6 months after ARC release, nobody was playing the game in Japan because of those aforementioned fatal flaws. If SC2 was "so good", why didn't SC3 get an arcade release first, and not a rushed one later (that also didn't sell as the damage had been done?" Why do you think the series went direct to console after that? So, the game was considered left for dead in SC3, they didn't even try to balance it and made it into essentially a glorified brawler. SC4 was essentially an apology game for SC3, and they even fucked that up. Interesting side note, even with Critical Finish, SC4 played closer to SC2 than most people will ever realize.

How do I know this?

The designers of the game TOLD ME SO DIRECTLY, when I got out of the house to play the game before release. I'd make a snide remark about how that sort of implies I love SC more than you and probably deserve my opinion more than you, but that would be in poor taste now wouldn't it? If I did that, some idiots would think quoting that point out of context would invalidate every other truth posted here. Suckers.

SC5 is the culmination of effort by people that saw a previous batch of systems filled with great ideas (SC1-4), but was horribly broken in an intrinsic way. Against time and unreasonable schedule (the game was pushed up 3 months), they set about the task or re-designing a system from the ground up, taking many risks. The system is literally so beautiful beneath the surface it hurts. All I see here is essentially people too stupid to operate the machine they are given, so instead they bitch about how bad the machine is.

What "made SC good (in the past)" is an entirely subjective term once you realize the people who make the game consider them objective failures, and basically run to repeat the only successful elements time in and out; Guest Characters, and dress up mode in order to grab cash.

As for me, I stand with the designers of the game in what they tried to do. I respect them, and their work. I see these nebulous (look it up) complaints and it makes me sick to my stomach I share any kind of fandom with people like you. Do I think the game is perfect? Hardly. However, I hope they move forward in this direction in the future, but if they can't due to whatever crying output here, I hope they put the series to the curb, put a gun to its head and shoot it in the face, so we never have to see SC6: Bastardized SC2 Kids Monopoly edition.

So, do you want to know why I'm playing TTT2? Now THAT is nostalgia goggles my friend. It's the same way you watch some movies BECAUSE they are bad, and you know it.

Tekken hardly changed what wasn't broken and more people play that game because of it.

Innovation in games is a good thing, don't get me wrong. But when it comes to fighting games, people mostly just want the same old formula, with a few new characters and moves, that's about it.

You have half the people on one side saying "the series was stale, and needed some innovation", and the other camp saying "The old system worked great, Why mess with it?"

About the whole shorter move list thing: The point was to take away "useless" moves while leaving the "useful" moves right? Well it's not all fine and dandy as it would seem. Just about every returning character lost arguably very "useful" moves, while at the same time every character still has "shit" moves.

It was a failed attempt at "refining" the move sets IMO. The whole point was to have a larger number of good moves right? Well the end result says otherwise. People still play that 5-move whoring that they always did. So really, what was the point? All it did was give people the impression that the game is dumbed down.

What really chaps my ass off is that PS took it one step beyond that. Most characters entire game plan is revolved around 1-2 key moves now. Gee, that's really interesting, NOT! Here's an example: Omega's entire playstyle revolves around stabs. It's her punisher, her RO tool, her combo finisher, it's her "everything".

I'm not even gonna talk about Apat and his twister, enough said.

Sadly, I feel the same way about Sieg's 3B, 1K, AgA, and B6. A person could probably get by on those moves alone with the exception of combo fillers. No need for stances, no need for anything interesting.

It's almost as if PS is encouraging us to play as boring as we possibly can. Why PS, why?

Why wouldn't it? Not everyone is obsess with this game to the point they don't see the bunch of failures and the crappy state of the saga, so the people that can actually see beyond their nose have the right to express why they are not playing this entrie anymore.

Just to add something more to the discussion, I don't consider SCV a failure actually is a total success and it pains me to see such a brilliant game with absolutely no support, a patch to fix the high damage, the spammable moves and characters would give a new life to this game, but Namco does not care about this game so no matter how many petitions we create they will let the game die and that is the real reason why the game died so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back