Hilde: Q&A/General Discussion Thread

Hey guys, I'd like to get into Hilde and I have few questions about her:

1. Should her playstyle be entirely revolved around her charge attacks?
2. Is Hilde most effective at long, mid or close range?
3. What exactly is the timing for getting the hit on C3B?

3. The input for the third attack in C3B is actually A, and doesn't require any JF timing at all. The in game command list lies.

definitely mid to long range she struggles at close range especially against faster characters
she has a good poking game though
just make sure your button layout is comfortable enough to use while playing hilde

^pretty much what imonamission said. The cool thing about Hilde is that she is can be played in many, many different ways (kind of like Mitsu).
close range - she has a Pat level poke game (3K, 66K, 1A, 4A, 44B), and a fantastic iTC (2A+B)
mid range - her charges kill all forms of movement and function as great whiff punishers. Her backstep is godly and with wavedashing, she can move around the field like a ninja. Also, 22B! A tech stepping, tech crouching, guard breaking launcher which is surprisingly difficult to JG.
long range - her CE can punish stupidity for huge damage. =D

Have fun learning her!

edit: for Q1 - Nah, anything other than c1A, c2B and c1B should never be used outside of combos because they are just too easy to JG and punish.

Hey guys, I'd like to get into Hilde and I have few questions about her:

1. Should her playstyle be entirely revolved around her charge attacks?
2. Is Hilde most effective at long, mid or close range?
3. What exactly is the timing for getting the hit on C3B?

1. yes, you need to learn how to attack and move freely while also constantly charging to c2a. I only use c1a because i didnt have enough time to get to c2a. What i like to do is start to charge during attacks. Example would be something like 66k-during kick animation start charging A. When your charging A try not to twitch duck. Instead just let go of A and if they grab you hit them, and if they dont attack you just touch with safe c1a or c2a while also pushing them away from you. The max range that c2a hits also the most effective range to throw out 22_88 b's. So find max range for c2a and stay at that range. I feel like that is her optimal range. Find creative ways to apply pressure while also charging to c2a. Dont be afraid to abandon your charges. If your playing her right you will be constantly charging to c2a and not letting the attack out because the situation your in.

Since your gona be holding A alot you need to get good with her kicks. Really good people will start to step her 66k if you spam it. So in those situations you use 22_88 k to catch their side step. If your charging A of course c1a and c2a are very easily spammed. Hildes go to kicks, 66k(i 14 punish make sure you buffer it),3k(safe kick poke,sets up movement and the pressure it makes it just kinda annoying),22_88 k(stops sidesteps),44k( good guard damage, try to only use on downed opponent, will whiff sometimes so its kinda risky. I like to do something like 44k(blocked)-c2a)

BE CARE FULL charging B, typically you only want to use c1b. I played you the other day and i thought you where using c1b well so dont worry about that. C2b is my kyptonite, its really only good in combo or as tech trap(back roll full combo). Seriously every time i try to use c2b as a poke i either get stepped and counterd or i get JG'ed . C3b is a slipery slope because first you have to charge to c3, then you have to wait for a whiff to punish. Sometimes you wait so long that you hit c4b. And thats not good because usually that means your getting pressured really hard and charging while being pressure is not good because you can become easy to grab.. Plus charging B you are basicly limiting B to long range whiff punishes only. C3b can also be auto gied or JG ed so if your not at least like 80% sure you will counter i would not use it. If you hit c4b that means you can no longer use the charge as long range whiff punsih. Then it becomes a new tool all together and that messes up your game plan.

Last thing about charging and ive said this before but im not sure if you have read it. If you get knocked down always let go of your charge. Because if you decide to keep charging after being knock down You cannot cancel the charge till you stand up and hold G then let go of charge. On the ground if you try to hold G and let go of a charge the charge will come out. So make sure when your knocked down before you hit the ground 90% of the time you let go of all charges before your body touches the ground. Or when you stand up not only are you easily grab'able. But also you have disabled that attack from being used when you might need it. Only thing i like to charge when im knocked down is c2a. So sometimes i just get up and c2a. Obviously this is very risky.

2.Its character dependent, for the most part you want to stay in and out of the range in which c2a will hit. Create whiffs and frames traps from that range. If you fighting long range characters you need to depend more on your long range tools like c3b,66b,66a,c2b,c1b,ce. 66B at range is amazing, punishes alot of long range pokes and it TCs, plus its safe on block and can lead to extra damage if you use BE version. Most long range character are easily c2b looped so its more advantageous to hit with 22_88 b vs long range characters. Vs asty c3b at max range even jged i think might be safe. So also remember to abuse the low mobility that others long range characters have.

Btw small side note, voldo is one of the hardest characters to c2b loop. IDK why.............

3. I just mash A after i do the move, but i will admit that sometimes i miss the follow up. I think its cause online though. If they block the c3b dont do the a follow up .

I hate writing things like this because then i go online and play you guys and know exactly what im doing lol. But enjoy and ask away ill help where i can.

Questions from an unexperienced Hilde user:
Just how much sway does being able to C2B loop have? Is it a necessity, or more of a show off sort?

As a relatively aggressive Pat player who relies on mix ups, conditioning, and anti spacing, how would Hilde work for me, and which moves would I be able to best utilize?

Raw c2b loops aren't a necessity to win. By that I mean you can 3b be to continue the loop stably. There are only a few scenarios where I use c2b back to back, and usually I use a linking move in between. The loop changes her damage from high to obscene, but you can easiy lwin without it.
She lacks good mix up, but conditioning is brutal with her.
Her punishes other than ce are limited, the best being I20.
I'll let m126 fill you in on moves since I'm very unorthodox and no one really spends 70+ hours practicing one combo.

lol, well the way i feel is that if you dont do her most damaging combo's your might as well use another character cause thats what sticks out about her IMO.

And about the advice i give, i want to give people the best possible advice. I am not trying to tell someone how to win online. I am trying to tell people how to play hilde at a competitive level. I am not some amazing player but i understand what it takes to beat amazing players. I feel like if someone wants to play the wrong way you should tell them no, thats the wrong way. Even if it will win fights online.

Runis "i have Millions of hours of weapons training"- steven seagal

After testing, 22/88AA seems positive on block.

Also, the 66/99/33B.edge attack is GC afaik.

The wiki says differently

After testing, 22/88AA seems positive on block.

Also, the 66/99/33B.edge attack is GC afaik.

The wiki says differently
Added the GC to 66B BE's wiki entry. 22AA is 0 on block, tested with Hilde 22AA on block into AA trading with Hilde AA.

started taking my hilde a bit more seriously now, so my fighting style has changed drastically with her. i'm trying to be more aggressive with her, and it's turning out fine for now but i figured i'd ask for some advice.

what's good for keeping up the pressure? at first, i used to think A+B and C3A were perfect for it but i've just been getting JG-ed all the time when i use those attacks.

started taking my hilde a bit more seriously now, so my fighting style has changed drastically with her. i'm trying to be more aggressive with her, and it's turning out fine for now but i figured i'd ask for some advice.

what's good for keeping up the pressure? at first, i used to think A+B and C3A were perfect for it but i've just been getting JG-ed all the time when i use those attacks.

i am ashamed that someone who has fought me thought c3a and A+B hold is good. SHAME. Read 10 post up that was the advice i gave zoom when he was learning hilde. constant pressure i dont think is good to do with any character but viola.

Yo are there any hilde on xbl?!?!?!?!?!

just come play me in 8wayrun247 sometime. If i am on, i am in there. I dont play as much as i used to and besides that i have trouble trying hard online. Once i get hit by one online BS thing i pretty much stop trying. Hilde i think is the hardest character to use online cause her juggles. Its takes precision that changes depending on how you hit. So there is no "same time" you always press. You gona have a tough time finding someone good with her online. truly good with her that is. I heard reptile uses her , hit him up. Anyways thats my input, i would play with you but i wouldnt be much of a challenge.

Back