Is SC's Hephaestus a jerk and a fool?

RWB

[10] Knight
In SE(timewise):
-----------------------------
H: I'mma send out a ton of untrained people to stop Soul Edge! Yay!
Aeon: ...But I'm actually trained.
H: Whatever!
*everyone except Sophitia and Aeon dies*
H: BIG SUCCESS.
Aeon: *gets turned into a Lizard*
H: Ew, gross.

----------------
In SC:
----------------
Aeon: Hiss growl hiss(Help me!)!
H: *picks nose*
Sophitia: Yay. I'm at home and happy!
H: Go destroy SE.
Sophitia: =(
Aeon: Growl growl hiss(I can do that if you turn me back!)!
*Sophitia ends up doing nothing, as the chinese kids beat her there*

---------------
SCII:
---------------
H: *not paying attention to non-virgin Sophitia*
Cassandra: *runs off with his blessed weaponry*
Rothion: *Forges an extra*
Sophie: *Runs after*
Aeon: Hiss....(Everybody forgot about me...)
H: I'm bored.
*The greeks turn out to completely inconsequential to the narrative here*

----------------
SCIII:
----------------
Sophitia: I pray to you Hephaestus, watch over my family and protect us!
H: Did you say something?
*Sophitia's kids get caught*
Sophitia: =( *runs off*
Cassandra: *still running around like a headless chicken*
Aeon: Hiss Hiss(That's it, I'm shanking Hephaestus).
H:*not paying attention* BIG SUCCESS.

------------
SCIV:
---------
Sophitia: *Gets deaded*
Sophitia: *Gets sucked into Astral Chaos*
H: Hehe, them Alexandra girls are funny.
Aeon: Hishishisss. (I will gut you.)
H: What? Wait, I mean: BIG SUCCESS.

----------
SCV
---------
Ares: Y halo thar Aeon, how'd you like to become my chosen warrior instead, and kill that Hephaestus guy?
Aeon: Hissyay!
H: OH SHI-
Ares: And i will give you the power to absorb the ability and skill of all the holy warriors you can eat!
H: *Starts sending untrained people off to get eaten by Aeon/be killed by Nightmare, essentially powering both up with little problem for them.*
Ares: *facepalm* You are a bloody idiot, dude.
Sophitia: I iz ded.
Cassandra: I'm like totally chilling with this big winged monster with eyebeams.
Night Terror: *with ribbons on his wings* ROOOOOAR! (Help me.)

Obviously exaggerated, but it gets the point across. Hephaestus doesn't show very good judgment, and when it comes to actually assisting his warriors(instead of them just assisting him), he doesn't do jack.

At least Ares, for all his evilness, seems slightly intelligent...

Minor gods.

Hephaestus was a major god, not a demigod.

Obviously exaggerated, but it gets the point across. Hephaestus doesn't show very good judgment, and when it comes to actually assisting his warriors(instead of them just assisting him), he doesn't do jack.

At least Ares, for all his evilness, seems slightly intelligent...

Actually, this is pretty accurate. The real Hephaestus didn't really show great judgment either. In fact, he was birthed by Hera alone after she got jealous of Zeus birthing Athena alone. And because Hera isn't Zeus, Hephaestus came out a bit of a gimp, which made him thought of as awful in appearance (or at least to the Greeks). He got kicked off of Olympus twice (though, one wasn't for his bad judgment, admittedly). And was generally just the outcast god that there was something clearly "wrong" with.

Ares was a dick, but I don't know where games/movies are coming up with the trope of him being evil and trying to kill other gods. All the other gods smacked that guy around pretty badly. He was even wounded by a mortal then made fun of by the other gods.

So there's your myth lesson of the day.

How does Hephaestus sleep at night knowing that he just sent a group of untrained warriors to their graves?
If he's doing the same stupid thing of sending out more warriors to try and defeat Aeon and destroy SE to save his rep, then we can assume that after seventeen years, the guy didn't lose much sleep over what he did. Poor warriors... I hope Cassandra beats him up when she gets out of Astral Chaos. Or maybe Aeon will fly up to Mt. Olympus and eat him. Now that'd be awesome.
(>*o*) Go Aeon! Get that guy!

Hephaestus was a major god, not a demigod.

Actually, this is pretty accurate. The real Hephaestus didn't really show great judgment either. In fact, he was birthed by Hera alone after she got jealous of Zeus birthing Athena alone. And because Hera isn't Zeus, Hephaestus came out a bit of a gimp, which made him thought of as awful in appearance (or at least to the Greeks). He got kicked off of Olympus twice (though, one wasn't for his bad judgment, admittedly). And was generally just the outcast god that there was something clearly "wrong" with.

Ares was a dick, but I don't know where games/movies are coming up with the trope of him being evil and trying to kill other gods. All the other gods smacked that guy around pretty badly. He was even wounded by a mortal then made fun of by the other gods.

So there's your myth lesson of the day.

I actually knew most of this. :P

Though I only knew of Hephaestus getting kicked out once, not twice.

Really makes you wonder what the Alexandra sisters were thinking in worshipping such a messed up god.
I don't think Cassandra believed in that guy much since she blamed him for putting such a heavy burden on her sister (SCII she shouted at his statue or something). Sophitia was faithful though.

I don't think Cassandra believed in that guy much since she blamed him for putting such a heavy burden on her sister (SCII she shouted at his statue or something). Sophitia was faithful though.
Oh yeah, that's true. I do think she at least worshipped him before she got all scornful towards Hephaestus for making Sophitia do all that jazz, though.

Something often missed:

The Alexandra Family was Christian(But Sophitia had a great respect for her country's old culture, which was why she was approached).

Only Cassandra, and well, Rothion really believed Sophitia. I suspect that there may have been a major schism in the family when Sophitia told people about her adventure.

Lucius, the Christian brother of Sophitia, sems to have been the closest to a father figure Patroklos had(Setsuka ended up the main mother figure), as Rothion died pretty early(but managed to fill Pat's brain with stories of his heroic mother).

Interestingly, it seems Pyrrha may be a Christian as well- she refers to a single god in her quotes, and she was supposed to marry a noble, something only a christian could've done at the time.

So yeah, Big H really messed **** up for this family.

Oh, that really clears things up. Thanks!
All those sutble details in the backstories...
The unspoken details behind any story are pretty amazing.

Something often missed:

The Alexandra Family was Christian(But Sophitia had a great respect for her country's old culture, which was why she was approached).

I always knew they were Christian because around that time, The Ottoman Empire (Present Day Turkey) had taken over Greece and looked to make Islam the main religion over there.

Back