Japanese offical artbook & guide .. Cassandra, Korean, Setsuka, side story

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/630214-soulcalibur-v/62232202

^^^ I like to point out there is a discussion about the storyline at gamefaqs. If you browse a few pages in... there are some details from the scV artwork.

I will quote a few things mentioned in the story topic... most of the quotes by Olivier Hague since he has the artbook.

WARNING SPOILERS

And what happened between Yoshimitsu and Cervantes, I've never heard that one before.

One year before the events of Soulcalibur V, Yoshimitsu heard rumors about Cervantes being back from the dead and traveled West to confront him, but he was getting old and was defeated and seriously wounded. He had to pass his name on so that his sword wouldn't spiral out of control, and a young Manji ninjutsu user (who apparently grew up in the Fûma village) became the new (second) Yoshimitsu by killing him (losing his right arm in the process).

and what does it say about Kilik going to Spain? Like, is it mentioned in reference to something he did there, or is it more just mentioned in passing that he was there?

Well, the description for the "Penitentiary of Destiny" stage says it's a cave in Spain where Xiba/Maxi/Natsu/Leixia find an itinerant priest, an astral gate, and the Kali-Yuga (tainted by the evil energy it absorbed from said gate).
Since Kilik is said to be wandering around and trying to close the astral gates with his Kali-Yuga, one would think that means he's been there (if he's not the itinerant priest, naturally).

I would imagine that's more or less the idea, but Edge Master seems worried about him, so I don't really know how "alike" they are at this point...
By the way, Kilik's Soulcalibur V weapons used to belong to heroes who served under Algol back when he was human. The more you know!

So it doesn't actually explain why/how Kilik started to master a bunch of different styles, eh? And that's cool that he's using the weapons of Algol's soldiers. I wonder how he got his hands on them.

During all that time he spent trying to close the astral gates, Kilik touched the memories of the souls that wander the Astral Chaos and that allowed him to learn both their styles and that of those who defeated them.
The weapons were apparently re-materialized with the help of the "power of chaos".

Oh, really? I guess I assumed Setsuka beat him and then chose to spare him, realizing revenge wasn't the answer. But I think it makes more sense that Mitsurugi would win as he's got far more hype than she does.

Basically, she managed to break his weapon, but he immediately fought back by punching her in the guts.

Oh, really? I guess I assumed Setsuka beat him and then chose to spare him, realizing revenge wasn't the answer. But I think it makes more sense that Mitsurugi would win as he's got far more hype than she does.
Basically, she managed to break his weapon, but he immediately fought back by punching her in the guts.
Mitsurugi: "I was in the original Soul Edge, ****!"
(okay, so I may have imagined that last comment)

Proves who has the popularity vote, even though I still think Mitsurugi lost that fight, and PS doesn't want to reveal it. Instead they are only going minimal and saying that he lost his weapon. Saying he lost the fight would really diminish his whole "manly, according to Westerns" demeanor, and guess what? I wouldn't give a f**k.

Proves who has the popularity vote, even though I still think Mitsurugi lost that fight, and PS doesn't want to reveal it. Instead they are only going minimal and saying that he lost his weapon. Saying he lost the fight would really diminish his whole "manly, according to Westerns" demeanor, and guess what? I wouldn't give a f**k.

Granted, it did seem inconsistent that Mitsurugi, a perfectly ordinary Samurai, fought ****ing ALGOL to a standstill and then got his ass handed to him by Setsuka, but that really cheapens Setsuka's character arc if the reason she gave up on revenge wasn't because she realized killing Mitsurugi proved nothing but because nothing's allowed to beat Mitsurugi. I find it kind of odd that a random Ronin who hasn't been relevant to the plot since Soul Calibur II is still considered the "ultimate badass" by the creators and hyped up as the worthy opponent of all these supernatural fighters. It strains credulity more than a little that Mitsurugi, who's past his prime and hasn't fought seriously in over a decade, is a more worthy opponent for Algol than frigging Siegfried or Nightmare in this game. I wasn't really sure if you could call a character the Creator's Pet if they have no impact on the progression of the story at all, but even though he might as well be non-canon at this point for all the purpose he serves, Mitsurugi's hype is really starting to grate on me.

Also, Cervantes is the reason Yoshimitsu the First died?! That rat bastard not only refused to stay dead AGAIN, but he killed off one of my favorite characters?! God DAMN it!

Granted, it did seem inconsistent that Mitsurugi, a perfectly ordinary Samurai, fought ****ing ALGOL to a standstill and then got his ass handed to him by Setsuka, but that really cheapens Setsuka's character arc if the reason she gave up on revenge wasn't because she realized killing Mitsurugi proved nothing but because nothing's allowed to beat Mitsurugi. I find it kind of odd that a random Ronin who hasn't been relevant to the plot since Soul Calibur II is still considered the "ultimate badass" by the creators and hyped up as the worthy opponent of all these supernatural fighters. It strains credulity more than a little that Mitsurugi, who's past his prime and hasn't fought seriously in over a decade, is a more worthy opponent for Algol than frigging Siegfried or Nightmare in this game. I wasn't really sure if you could call a character the Creator's Pet if they have no impact on the progression of the story at all, but even though he might as well be non-canon at this point for all the purpose he serves, Mitsurugi's hype is really starting to grate on me.

Funny enough, that's how i also feel. He was good in Soul Edge, but then his "relevance" to the story diminished within each installment. Now i feel he's overrated.

I was just on Sopithia's Wikipedia page and just noticed this paragraph that I never noticed until now:

Sophitia was fighting Cervantes but was about to lose until Taki showed up to help. And then she helped get the shards out of Soph's body but of course the power still remained in her blood/body. Sophitia managed to destroy the female half of Soul Edge during her fight with Cervantes, but was badly injured by the shards. That's when Taki showed up and ended the fight by killing Cervantes. Taki managed to extract most shards, but one remained near Sophitia's heart, so when she gave birth to Pyrrha and Patroklos, both kids were "tainted". Tira was interested in Sophitia's children for that reason (potential hosts for Soul Edge) and she managed to kidnap Pyrrha. In Soulcalibur IV, Sophitia tried to rescue Pyrrha, but was told that her daughter was now so tainted that she could no longer survive without Soul Edge. Sophitia ended up working with Nightmare and Tira to protect the sword. In the end, Siegfried managed to defeat Nightmare, and Sophitia had to sacrifice her life in order to save Pyrrha's, by transplanting her last Soul Edge shard in her daughter's body.

Was this in the art book? If not then I wonder how they found this. Knew sophithia would go out so valiantly :sc4sop1:

16907445.jpg

I was just on Sopithia's Wikipedia page and just noticed this paragraph that I never noticed until now:

Sophitia was fighting Cervantes but was about to lose until Taki showed up to help. And then she helped get the shards out of Soph's body but of course the power still remained in her blood/body. Sophitia managed to destroy the female half of Soul Edge during her fight with Cervantes, but was badly injured by the shards. That's when Taki showed up and ended the fight by killing Cervantes. Taki managed to extract most shards, but one remained near Sophitia's heart, so when she gave birth to Pyrrha and Patroklos, both kids were "tainted". Tira was interested in Sophitia's children for that reason (potential hosts for Soul Edge) and she managed to kidnap Pyrrha. In Soulcalibur IV, Sophitia tried to rescue Pyrrha, but was told that her daughter was now so tainted that she could no longer survive without Soul Edge. Sophitia ended up working with Nightmare and Tira to protect the sword. In the end, Siegfried managed to defeat Nightmare, and Sophitia had to sacrifice her life in order to save Pyrrha's, by transplanting her last Soul Edge shard in her daughter's body.

Was this in the art book? If not then I wonder how they found this. Knew sophithia would go out so valiantly :sc4sop1:
We've known about everything from that paragraph from bios from the last games, except for the last sentence.

@ Tuzark_merlire : Pardon me for the double post, but I need to ask you about this: What exactly happened to Valeria, Hualin and Lynette? Did the book explained their whereabouts as well as what they're up to? I'm getting curious now....

@ Tuzark_merlire : Pardon me for the double post, but I need to ask you about this: What exactly happened to Valeria, Hualin and Lynette? Did the book explained their whereabouts as well as what they're up to?

Apparently, there's no mention of Cepheus or the shop girls at all. But since they were never really that involved in the whole "search for the cursed sword" plot, I'm pretty sure they are still doing their job at the store (and with the DLC store being named Cepheus, though shame they aren't there...)

A bit late, but I sincerely hope the wait was worth this one. Now, for those who were disappointed about Xianghua not revealing her parenthood to Xiba, maybe this wll help coping with it...

====
Leixia's mother and member of the Chai family, known for its military background.
Raised without a father, she was chosen from among the Emperor's bodyguards at a young age, and given the duty of searching for the "Sword of Heroes".
In the middle of her journey she met Kilik, and together with Maxi they finally reached
the "Sword of Heroes" Soul Edge. But this sword was nothing but a cursed blade that devoured souls. Joining forces with Kilik, Xianghua destroyed the cursed sword.

A few years later, she reunited and connected with Kilik, but he considered this the result of an unfortunate destiny, and eventually disappeared from Xianghua's side.

Returning to her homeland with a broken heart, she eventually came to the realization she was pregnant. However, her grandfather and patriarch of the Chai house was furious at this, as she was the second generation of women from such a distinguished family to bear the child of an unknown man. Xianghua was ordered to kill the child and marry into another family.

Knowing of her situation, Xianghua was rescued by the heir of the Yan family, Yan Wuxin. He discussed with Xianghua's grandfather and issued a condition for marrying Xianghua and not revealing the scandal, to allow the child to live.
====
There you go. Pretty interesting stuff, though poor X really got it hard...

The other character bios are, for the most part, old news, so to make things lighter on me I just decided to just list the most interesting factoids:

+ Wuxin once served as an instructor to Xianghua. He has great expectatives for his son Leixin to take up politics.
+ Leixin is very smart, able to attend university at only 13, but he's no good fighter (gets always beaten by Leixia).
+ Salia was originally very tomboyish, but started acting more woman-like after Sieg's disappearence, having realized how much he cared for him.
+ Georg has a few lines about his time as king: he was well-liked, and modernized the Wolfkrone army from its outdated system.
+ All three of Dampierre's lackeys get a specific task within his group: Ludovigo deals with the killings, Alphard deals with extortion and contraband and Gisele takes care of stealing and information gathering.
+ Durer has once instructed Hilde in swordplay.
+ Most of the Lizardmen who were free of the cult had died. A new cultist is taking care of research now, and apparently despite there being less individuals, new varieties of Lizardmen are appearing.
+ Ashlotte was originally tasked with retrieving Astaroth, but since she didn't got in time before Maxi took care of him, she just settled for his core.

That's mostly everything about the scans by now (there may be a few extra stuff for a later date, though). Sectus, I was wondering if you are going to be able to provide more of those excellent pics. I can understand if you can't or are too busy, I'm already plenty grateful for what you provided.

Any question for what's already there, feel free to ask.

(>T_____T) Poor Xianghua....
Kilik! You got her pregnant! Get back here and do something!
Anyway, so Salia apparently has a crush on Siegfried then?
Oh, and the priest, Kunpaeteku or whatever his name is... is he the leader of the new cult or is there something more to it? So they're basically making weapons which is more Astaroths and Lizardmen? Was there anything in the book about how Aeon got wings?
Oh, btw, thank you so much for your hard work in translating the book. I'm sure alot of ppl here are very grateful for it and I give you a hug for the wonderful work! (>^___^)>

Thanks for the words, always glad for them :)

Anyway, so Salia apparently has a crush on Siegfried then?
It seems so. It was sorta hinted back in Soulcalibur though, as it was said that Salia was awaiting for his return back then. And then you get Hilde's bio in 4 where she practically begs Hilde to help him.

Oh, and the priest, Kunpaeteku or whatever his name is... is he the leader of the new cult or is there something more to it? So they're basically making weapons which is more Astaroths and Lizardmen?

The character chart shows Kunpaetku is still the grand priest, yes. They are apparently slowly getting back to their feet following their almost-extinction in the last game, restoring their old research and getting back their armies of monsters.

Was there anything in the book about how Aeon got wings?

Not as far as I know, outside what the official site says about he getting the traits and memories of the living beings he eats.

That's mostly everything about the scans by now (there may be a few extra stuff for a later date, though). Sectus, I was wondering if you are going to be able to provide more of those excellent pics. I can understand if you can't or are too busy, I'm already plenty grateful for what you provided.

Any question for what's already there, feel free to ask.
What parts of the artbook are you after? I'll see if I can get some time to take more photos.

I am reading this thread for the first time. Didn't know there was another artbook. Why do I have this very short (and not covering all SCV characters) artbook from the collector's edition and not the other one? That would have been what I expected to see in the collector's edition.

The artbook refered to in this thread wasn't released outside of Japan. You'll only find it on Play Asia and eBay, basically.

Apparently, there's no mention of Cepheus or the shop girls at all. But since they were never really that involved in the whole "search for the cursed sword" plot, I'm pretty sure they are still doing their job at the store (and with the DLC store being named Cepheus, though shame they aren't there...)

A bit late, but I sincerely hope the wait was worth this one. Now, for those who were disappointed about Xianghua not revealing her parenthood to Xiba, maybe this wll help coping with it...

====
Leixia's mother and member of the Chai family, known for its military background.
Raised without a father, she was chosen from among the Emperor's bodyguards at a young age, and given the duty of searching for the "Sword of Heroes".
In the middle of her journey she met Kilik, and together with Maxi they finally reached
the "Sword of Heroes" Soul Edge. But this sword was nothing but a cursed blade that devoured souls. Joining forces with Kilik, Xianghua destroyed the cursed sword.

A few years later, she reunited and connected with Kilik, but he considered this the result of an unfortunate destiny, and eventually disappeared from Xianghua's side.

Returning to her homeland with a broken heart, she eventually came to the realization she was pregnant. However, her grandfather and patriarch of the Chai house was furious at this, as she was the second generation of women from such a distinguished family to bear the child of an unknown man. Xianghua was ordered to kill the child and marry into another family.

Knowing of her situation, Xianghua was rescued by the heir of the Yan family, Yan Wuxin. He discussed with Xianghua's grandfather and issued a condition for marrying Xianghua and not revealing the scandal, to allow the child to live.
====
There you go. Pretty interesting stuff, though poor X really got it hard...

The other character bios are, for the most part, old news, so to make things lighter on me I just decided to just list the most interesting factoids:

+ Wuxin once served as an instructor to Xianghua.

It all makes sense now. Unfortunate destiny my behind, Kilik screwed Xianghua outright, all because he couldn't bury the past and see what good he had in front of him. It's so sad knowing that she had Xiba with Kilik and the two couldn't raise him together. The Wuxin guy is also the same guy who instructed Xianghua during the events of Soul Calibur 3. I rathered he be more of a mentor rather than marrying X on the count that Wuxin was described as old. Poor Xianghua and to an extent, poor Xiba. Kilik screwed them out because he couldn't bury his past and/or come truthful. Such a tragic story to read.

*Goes and hugs Xianghua and wipes tears away from her eyes*

It all makes sense now. Unfortunate destiny my behind, Kilik screwed Xianghua outright, all because he couldn't bury the past and see what good he had in front of him. It's so sad knowing that she had Xiba with Kilik and the two couldn't raise him together. The Wuxin guy is also the same guy who instructed Xianghua during the events of Soul Calibur 3. I rathered he be more of a mentor rather than marrying X on the count that Wuxin was described as old. Poor Xianghua and to an extent, poor Xiba. Kilik screwed them out because he couldn't bury his past and/or come truthful. Such a tragic story to read.

*Goes and hugs Xianghua and wipes tears away from her eyes*

Actually, Wuxin wasn't described as old, the old guy is the general whose house Wuxin and Xianghua were training at.

Back