Lost Swords

We already know what Lost Swords is at this point from the beta. If you're expecting more from Lost Swords, then you should be playing SCV.

As for not being a Soulcalibur game, that's the point. To give the ringouts r cheap crowd something to play.

And I haven't seen any tumbleweeds since the Taki trailer came out. Numerous sites have posted about it, and more people are now interested in the game since her reveal. We'll see how things turn out come Tuesday.

I still feel like theyre adding too many unnecessary new gimmicks to the series rather than keeping it simple and consistent so that it doesnt alienate older players.

Lost Swords comes out tomorrow, but the roster isn't finalized? Seems to me that they might have other characters as DLC like Amy, Seong Mi-Na, and maybe a few others.

But how do they expect to "introduce" players with this if certain mechanics are excluded (wr attacks, ringouts, etc,), is online only (it seems like you need a connection to do anything), excessive load times, there's only a handful of characters to play with, it's only on one platform, and it has a pay wall? If I told all of this to people, I doubt it'll entice them to play the game. They'll play once or twice and quit. A big problem I have with the ringout exclusion is that people who do try this and move on to a real title, might not like the idea of ringout if it happens to them. They're likely immediately call it cheating, just because it wasn't in SC: LS. We already get enough of that from people playing the normal game; going from one game without it to one game with it might have them think "It must really be broken if it wasn't in SC:LS."

Last edited:
So...
Lost Swords downloaded and I cant play it.
Once I click "start" on the title screen, it says "logging into game server. Please Hold." Then says "Lost connection to server. Returning to title screen. Error Code: 1098"

Anyone else having this problem?

It's not the most fashionable outfit but here's a first look at my low level Sophitia :) She has some cool new moves and combos, I have to admit that it's pretty fun. I'll collect some more info as I play and try to compile it for you all to read.

SOULCALIBUR Lost Swords.png

How can a server lose connection when there's only, like, three dozen people on it at once?

Maybe I'll try it out. Seems fun enough.

Okay, so here are the different things that happen when you first begin the game:
  • You'll be asked to create a "profile" and choose any name that is 10 characters max. (possibly 11, I forget).
  • You'll then be asked to choose a character to start off with. Note that only three characters may be chosen for one account at any one time.
  • A tutorial will take you through the first few things that will be new to Soulcalibur: Lost Swords compared to Soulcalibur V.
  • You'll be shown around the different things on the main menu. They will be listed below.
Main Menu:
  • Quests - quite self explanatory, you can complete quests to earn rewards and items for your characters.
  • Character - pretty much CAS mode where you can do several different things to your characters, which will be explained later on.
  • Shop - where you can buy things for real money i.e. US Dollars or whatever, more info further down.
  • Allies - this is where you can add your friends' characters and use them as allies in battle! More info later on.
  • Missions - where there is a list of things you can complete in Quests mode to receive rewards.
Along the right side of the main menu screen there is an "Information" box which has details of recent and upcoming events (right now there seems to be one where you can unlock Taki and Ivy, I'll confirm a bit later). Along the top there is your profile's name, your rank, the amount of AP potions and Continue Tickets you have (I'll talk about those later) and the amount of gold you have.

More Detailed look into each option on the Main Menu:
Quests
Inside this menu you'll have a list of all the Quests you can complete for gold and other rewards. A world map shown on the right of the screen labels where your quest's location is within the world. There are three different categories, which are different difficulties. Normal (self explanatory) and Master (again, you can guess what it means) are two of them, the third being "Events" which is obviously quests for the events to unlock the event's rewards (such as a new character). To unlock a new character, you have to obtain an "Unlock Key" by completing the character's specific event. However, please do note that getting a key as a reward is by % chance (there are multiple difficulties of each event, the harder ones get a higher % chance).

Character
There are different options in the character menu (viewable in the Sophitia picture above), including:
  • Change Equipment - this is where you can select equipment from the rewards you have picked up to use on your character, this includes: weapons, headgear, upper body equipment, outer wear, lower body equipment, arm gear and legwear (basically footwear). As you play your equipment levels up and gives you bonus attributes such as extra HP and your weapons can give you more attack strength as they level up.
  • Change Accessories - this is basically CAS mode with items that you have found during quests, and are purely for appearance. No attributes are given by these items.
  • Crafting - here you can add extra stats that you have picked up from your quests to improve your weapons and equipment (you choose a "Base Item" for which you can add stuff to it), for a gold price. You can also add several weapons to each other (does not have to be the same category, i.e. Sophitia's weapons can be crafted with Mitsurugi's weapons to improve one or the other) to increase the original weapon's level. You can choose these items to craft from an equipment box (where your item/equipment rewards are deposited) however this has only 50 slots. Note: there are also 50 slots for accessory items.
  • Sell - pretty self explanatory, you can sell any items you have picked up from quest rewards for gold.
  • Custom Equipment Set - where you can set your currently equipped items as a "custom set" which you can switch between other custom sets you have made, and you can also name these sets.
  • Custom Thumbnail - just like the old CAS mode from Soulcalibur V, you can take your own thumbnail picture for your character profile.
  • Switch Character - change the character that you're currently using.
  • Check Inventory - view items in your Equipment Box.

Shop
In the shop you can purchase items for real money (US and Euro prices will be confirmed later), such as:
  • Premium Treasure Chest x6 for a price of £11.99. In these chests you can unlock special weapons, items, accessories and soul stones (the extra stats for weapons and equipment).
  • Premium Treasure Chest x1 for a price of £3.19.
  • FP (Friend Points) Chest - still premium rewards however quite inferior compared to the real money bought ones. FP is earned when your character is used as an ally when someone else is playing.
  • AP Potion x1 - for a price of £1.59. AP is what you use to effectively "pay" to play quests. AP is recovered over time or if you level up, at which point you'll receive a full bar of AP. Note that AP Potions can be earned as rewards for a mission or through daily rewards for logging in.
  • AP Potion x11 - for a price of £7.99.
  • Continue Ticket x1 - for the same price as an AP Potion. Note: You rely upon AP and NOT Continue Tickets to keep playing the game. A Continue Ticket is there to save you if you're half way through a quest and you lost. It will allow you to resume playing from whatever stage you're at through a quest with full HP and does not cost you any AP. Tickets can also be earned through mission rewards and daily rewards.
  • Continue Ticket x11 - for the same price as an AP Potion x11.
  • Expansion Items - you can buy these to increase the amount of room you have in your Equipment Box or the amount of "Allies" you can have (Allies will be explained later). The price of an Equipment Expansion is £3.99 and the price of an Ally Expansion is £1.59. Each expansion gives you 10 extra slots.

Ally
  • Ally List - this is where you can view your list of registered allies who have accepted an "Ally Request" that you can send to them using their personal player code, which is found in the next option down. Allies are used as partners in quests where you can switch out your personal character to use them for a limited time. They deal a huge amount of extra damage.
  • Search or Confirm Player codes - here you can search for other players' player codes and also check to see what your own code is so you can share it with other people. This allows them to use your primary character as a partner.
  • Requests - this is where you can accept or decline requests that people have made to ask for your character to use as a partner.

Missions
Here you can view a list of missions that you can complete whilst in Quest Mode to unlock rewards such as Continue Tickets, AP Potions, gold, and more.

Options (accessed by pressing Square and then Options)
Here you can change the settings (almost the same as Soulcalibur V) except there is also the option to change your player (profile) name.

That's all for now, I'll update a bit later.

Update; How to unlock new characters
Project Soul will start new events for a limited time every so often where you can do "Event" Quests from the Quest Mode to play the character's quest. You must beat the character and a few other random CAS to try and get the character's "Unlock Key" as a reward. There is a % chance for a reward key so you are not guaranteed one every time you play the quest.

There are different difficulties for each character's quest, and the harder the difficulty, the more stages there are in that quest and the higher % chance you have of being rewarding with the character's unlock key.

Last edited:
In case anyone wasn't aware, once you pick your character the two you didn't pick become locked. So there's a thing.

Not a bad little timesink (especially with those loading times), but certainly not comparable to that true Calibur experience.

Back