Matchup Discussion: Leixia VS. Mitsurugi

I'm feeling like Mitsu is an anti-Leixia character. Range is just long enough to keep a good distance and the damage he deals compared to Leixia makes me feel like i'm playing with Talim again.

Mitsurugi is like Leixia in many regards, only better in most of them, in my opinion. So... a definite disadvantage for Leixia, IMHO. What you have to do against him is to step... a lot. And then punish with either 22_88B or a CH AA CE combo. Most of his moves are unsafe against Leixia's 6KK, though after some, he can do his "Pull back and point sword forward" stance (I have no clue about inputs for characters other than Leixia and Xianghua). You'll whiff your initial K and he'll poke you in the face.

Don't roll on ukemi, though. Most of his verticals track grounded opponents for some idiotic reason.

His string that starts with a fast low sweep into a mid upward thrust with his sword is blockable on the 2nd hit even if the 1st hits, so keep that in mind. Always remember that if you have your back to the ledge, he can RO with an A-throw. His rushdown string that starts with a run-in kick and ends with a sword thrust (I think, or it could be the other way 'round) leaves him at enough of a frame disadvantage that you are guaranteed a 50/50 throw mix-up, IIRC.

I just had to rage about this. Why in God's name does he have SUPER ARMOR on one of his moves? MITSURUGI OF ALL THE GODDAMN PEOPLE HAS SA? WHY? Never seen SA in a Soul Calibur game and it's particularly upsetting when he bulldozes through a game-winning shot and then kills me with whatever combo he does afterwards <__<

I swear every time I get hit with that low sweep I can never block the thrust. Are you sure it's blockable?

His 4B makes everything you do whiff, but if you bait it you can aGI with 4A+B. Once he no longer does 4B randomly, you're done. His guard break can easily be aGI by 4A+B. 2KB is launch punishable. Everything else is very vertical.

Once he no longer does 4B randomly, you're done. .
Not possible. Punish 4B and regail with joy as he just does it again.

And yeah you can launch punish 2KB, for, er, 41 damage... woohoo! Even if you JG it, you just get 4A+B combo.

This match-up is a complete farce. My advice for Mitsu vs. Leixia - switch to a different character.

Actually, I don't think the match up is bad at all. I'd say it's 5:5 or at worst 6:4. Maybe a Mitsu here can convince me otherwise.

4B can be aGIed. 1A is slow enough to block on reaction. 1[A] is even slower, and can be easily aGI'd or JG'd. 2KB's range is actually very short, so if he runs up just 2A. Crybaby stops all of his ground hits. Other than that he's very vertical, so step and punish.

If he ever tries to do something stupid like 66BB, just guard and CE CE.

I don't feel that Mitsu can stave off Leixia's pressure once her game starts.

Gue does not stop all of his ground hits. Also, it's unsafe unless it's on Counterhit. I don't know the input for it (because I could care less about inputs for characters I do not play), but if he spaces the move where he does half a somersault forward, it'll hit you through Gue.

Mitsurugi has several fast moves that are fast enough and have enough range to go through Leixia's pressure. And if Leixia guesses wrong, 1/3 of her lifebar will be gone, at the very least. If Mitsurugi guesses wrong, Leixia has to either sacrifice meter or only do 41 or so worth of damage.

This is going to sound incredibly harsh, but bear with me on this:

1st of all, I have had Kalas at my house for two weeks now and as I second Mitsurugi, we have had about 100 games Leixia vs Mitsurugi. Conclusion? You sir, are talking out of your arse.

4B can be aGIed.
1st of all, you can't just stand there waiting for 4B, or you will NEVER land an attack, to deal with 4B it is much better to use tools like 66A_B to beat 4B and cover other options. Standing still waiting for 4B constantly is suicide vs. Mitsurugi. You *can* auto GI it, but the active GI window is only 5 frames and in match pressure can fail. It is a fair point, but not by any means a practical answer normally.
1A is slow enough to block on reaction. 1[A] is even slower, and can be easily aGI'd or JG'd.
1st, 1A is for wakeup ONLY, it is so flawed now and is a free 6KK punish, no Mitsu in their right mind would use this regularly. Second, what auto GI? I can't think of any low auto GI Lexia has. Thirdly, 1[A] doesn't even exist.
2KB's range is actually very short, so if he runs up just 2A.
*Mitsu runs up and 4B's*
Crybaby stops all of his ground hits.
Crybaby is punishable on HIT by 1B, though this will sometimes whiff by a wall, 1K is also free - Mitsu always gets more damage if you use crybaby.
Other than that he's very vertical, so step and punish.
4A, 22A, 44A 2KB, 6A, 3A. Antistep much?
If he ever tries to do something stupid like 66BB, just guard and CE CE.
I am a JG WHORE and I would NEVER JG 66BB - it is already death on block, CE block punish it, or 3B block punish it meterless.
I don't feel that Mitsu can stave off Leixia's pressure once her game starts.
Actually, when it comes to applying offence, risk reward is almost constantly in Mitsu's favour and the damage for guessing wrong is cataclysmic. You obviously haven't fought any good mitsu's.

So to summarise, Mitsu wins on:
Short range
Mid range
Long range
Damage
Mixups
Throws
Evasive tools

And loses on:
Guard crush game
Safety

I'm not sure I agree with Hyrul about it being completely unwinnable, but it is VERY hard for Leixia.
Defenitely a 7:3 to Mitsu imo, but at least a 6:4.

That's as bullshit as some scrub saying it isn't difficult to play as LX.
I didn't mean that it takes no skill to play as him, it's just that it takes relatively little time and training to become at least mediocre with him because he isn't exactly a technique-heavy character and his (usable) moveset is pretty limited. All you need to learn is which moves are safe, which ones aren't and some combos.

And you only need to face a mediocre Mitsurugi as Leixia to realize that she's at a clear disadvantage. And he even has a double CE of his own... from a combo.

Ok, so save the meter and don't make me worry about WSB BE - 9:1 mitsu, lol.

But this logic, I don't have to worry about Mitsu's EX 2KB. Having a double CE "from a combo" doesn't mean much.

Besides, we agree on 6:4 Mitsu, so what's the problem?

Back