Maxi General Q&A

What would make him unpredictable you think? Maxi has never really had great mixups from his stances...what he was good at is forcing people to react to him, and he had the tools to hit them hard when they tried. That ability got weaker with every iteration somewhat, and the poorer frame data compounded the suckiness. Predictability to me shouldn't be too much of an issue and is usually a fault of the player itself (most of the time at least).
The current game mechanics lead toward even further forcing them to react to him, because GI now requires meter and persistent blocking builds Maxi's meter.

Then I used him 1001 times different than you did. I canceled stances day in and day out. I was in PSL 4, then I would cancel to a standing B[6]->BL[g]->throw. I did things like that all day long. Hardly ever did I follow a string. The only few instances I did that, was when I knew the opponent was going to try to interrupt what I wanted to do. I never poked. I was a moving target and I GIed like a madman.

I see in these videos the same combos over and over again. I can understand the preliminary status of the game, but throw in some other stuff. Make people see attacks that will confuse. Also yes, predictability does fall on the player and not on the character. However, sometimes the character's use is the same set up over and over again.

I also like the range they gave 44k as well. It seems to me that it's the perfect new tool to close the distance just as 236B once did.

@maxi-mum
Yep, I'm sure you did play differently. I was asking because Maxi's mixups were never really stellar to begin with. Your only mixup really was to cancel stance into throw like you said, or a measly low poke. Which in my eyes it's not really being unpredictable as such but more on the lines of their reaction towards you was to hesitate, thus allowing you time to do that. You basically forced that behaviour on them with heavy GIs and rapid movement and spacing.
I'm gonna tell you now, you're going to be disappointed again. Maxi seems to have lost pretty much ALL his cancels. He seems very direct now for better or worse...guess we'll know for sure soon huh

Yep, we sure will. Which is why I'm going to say now this game is going to suck. I have a feeling certain stances will be abused and others will be left in the dust. At least with SC2 I used his entire move list. Even 1A........

Kinda really harsh to say the entire GAME is gonna suck JUST because it doesn't agree with your play style don't you think haha :) This should be a good game overall regardless of the Maxi changes, after all the game doesn't revolve around him so it's like whatever for me....I'm not a purist though so ;) I can't relate to your frustrations heh heh heh

Just from what I've seen, not just with Maxi, but with all the videos. Safe this........safe that.......nobody tries anything different. 45 attack move list, only six are used. Also, I know what you're going to say. Every character is played like that. X is a prime example of how a move list is diminished down to a five move X.

There's only a handful of people that will relate to my frustrations. Chances are I'll give the game a game, just because it's a new version and maybe enter a tournament just to play the field.

I know what your saying maximum. You can barely tell who the individual is playing the character because they all play the character the same. That's what I liked about maxi, in the beginning we all looked different, and now it seems they want us to play in a mold. More or less. Broken rhythm is the best stray for maxi.

I know what your saying maximum. You can barely tell who the individual is playing the character because they all play the character the same. That's what I liked about maxi, in the beginning we all looked different, and now it seems they want us to play in a mold. More or less. Broken rhythm is the best stray for maxi.

I hate molds. I've never been a person who fits a mold. For fun I would play X aggressively, even though people did the opposite and poke to death. Maxi better be optional. If he's not, I'm going to pitch a fit. Are there any new videos?

Well, I think we don't need to waste effort into arguing on how bad Maxi will turn out, because with little knowledge
within the demo version, which is clearly not completed,it's still too soon to say Maxi's suck, let alone the game, characters move set can be drastically changed when the game comes, so chill.
Ofcourse that means Maxi can turn out better or worse, fact is Maxi used to never turned out in our favors with every releases sofar.
Either way the best approach that we can apply is to take that matter in our hands and make do with what we have, after all, that's what everyone in a tournament do best, and that's what you and I can do best too, if we want.
As for my personal opinion, the game looks polished sofar, there are rooms for improvement though, like: less effects more actions, not the other way around. The direction they're going is good, it sure will attract more fans to the game, I know i'm being optimistic:), can't wait to smack any face I come across with my Bruce Lee's nunchaku, heh.

gentlemen, it's FAR too early to tell what a character is capable of. Game testers are doing what they do best when they get the chance, and that's experiment with the basics. Creativity, style etc will come when there is a complete moveset to work with in a complete game. From what I've gathered, characters like Maxi, Tira, Raph are far from finished...Let's wait at least on a release candidate of the game. Tago said it's 60% complete.
I don't fit the mold either, but I'm not a tourney player anymore, i play casually...for fun. People say my playstyle is...weird and I'm uber aggressive with every character I play haha

That's all I'm hoping for man. Enough viable options to each play differently but effectively and with our own style. I haven't really said anything critical of the new game yet. So far I'm impressed with whats been added and the speed. When I play next month I want to experiment with the buffer window as I haven't heard any reports on it yet.

They better have made 33B cancel since they took 33bA.

So with the 2 of you guys going to NEC, and I got my buddy Chuck_The Lanslide going to do some stuff for us, a shit ton of maxi questions should be answered!

I expect a full report from all of you!!

HRD

I'm really hoping maxi is further along than any previous build and we find psl3. I'm so hyped to play him I have to remember I have work to do. So don't forget anything you want me to try out besides going through the psl's.

Watching STream.
was worried about frames for maxi but[just dont care anymore] that damage delivery is Just disgusting hope it stays

Just watched Oosaka play on the stream.

* Confirmed! you can G cancel the WR version of LI B that steps to the left. :)
* You also have enough time to cancel any stance after a guard break (The RO B->RC transition in this case) and a Critical Edge will still hit. O_O
* Seig is Maxi's hardest fight by the looks of the final. You're going to have to formulate a strategy and stick to it. Although I think more movement was needed as SC2 step has returned.
* Damage looks insane which is definitely something to be happy about.

Will update if I see more.

Oosaka was wrecking shop. Maxi looks pretty strong; let's hope he stays that way. Is it bad that I'm a little glad oosaka lost the final that decisively? I could already hear Namco unsheathing the nerf bat once oosaka got to top 4. I just don't trust Namco to keep good characters good.

Nice that the fake LI B can be guard cancelled. Barry, any idea which stance it ended in? I missed it.

Range is still a problem.
Hoping for Waving lights BEdge:Gi. Because Normal version will not hit characters Like Sieg Ivy, hilda, at a distance.

best stream moments:
-WRising fist causing Guard Burst into CE:)
-Ro B, Rc A, BEdge B into BEdge LI A
-Not sure: that new 44B causes crumble stun on hit but followup Ro B picked up opponent for massive 5hit combo string.

where are the lows. hell i want 1A Back. NO WAY IN HELL HIS GETTING SC3:2AB BACk.

Nice that the fake LI B can be guard cancelled. Barry, any idea which stance it ended in? I missed it.

Missed seeing which stance it ended up in, i was just happy to see the distance Li Bg covered because it put maxi in perfect grab position.

Back