New Computer

Chaos1x

[10] Knight
Im buying a new computer. i can spend about 700$

i dont know to much about what a good computer should have.

im looking for a Desktop Computer. its gonna be mainly for gaming but my family is also gonna use it ( sisters in university ) so i dont want it to suck for things other then gaming.

can any one go here http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/home.aspx and tell me what the best computer i can buy is?

thnx..

Ps: i do not want to build my own or buy it from other stores.

If you can try to build your own. it's a little scary if you dont know what you're doing but you will get a MUCH better PC for cheaper. I spent $1,100 on mine and it can beat the shit out of a $3,500 Alienware.

IF you build you're own you need:
  • Motherboard (check processor and GFX card compatibility. Also make sure it's up to date with whatever Windows you're gonna use, I had to update mine)
  • GFX card (check specs on games and see if your the card compares)
  • Memory (at least 3-4gigs...i bought 12 >_< )
  • Hard Drive (Western Digital is good...don't EVER buy Seagate...I don't care if a terrabyte costs $50 from them)
  • Powersource (dunno how to gauge that one)
  • Cooling fan for Motherboard (bigger is better?)
  • Processor (AMD 6core and Intel i7 are the gaming standards. Intel is better but pricier. My AMD 6 core does just great)
  • Tower (just make sure its got good reviews on airflow and is at least a mid size)
I didn't know anything about building when I made mine, but now that I have it's not too hard. Just scary at first cuz it's so foreign.

for specs really just look at recent games and make sure your parts are on par or above to future proof it. Gaming rigs are expensive, so building your own is preferable. You can always upgrade parts later separately.

NewEgg.com is the best place for parts and fully built machines. REALLY fuckin good service and delivery time. Much better prices than bestbuy too.

Eh there are times you really can't beat some of the deals on a pre-made. It's like "How'd you pack all that in there and an OS? At that price?" Usually though there's some shit parts. Like the vid card on a bundle pc is shit or integrated so just expect to replace it. When it comes to games that video card makes a HUGE difference. But sometimes they'll shock you with how good the actual processor and motherboard are. You don't need 6 cores. Most programs running (games included) aren't even programmed these days to take advantage of more than 2. Even programs using 4 are a rarity. I'm sure his 6 core does great but if it's out of your price range don't go home empty handed. I would also say to go with AMD. Good performance for the price.

I wouldn't buy parts from best buy though, their shit be overpriced.

Also, It can be difficult to upgrade some manufacturer's computers thanks to proprietary hardware. Just a heads up. Hp for instance can be a bastard about this.

I'm looking at their PC's and I dunno man. One of those things has onboard video, the other one has a friggin' notebook video card. Yuck.

Ultimately I would also say to build your own man. I can't imagine doing anything else at this point.

Yeah the OS will kill you i didnt include that in my cost. thats $200-$300. If you dont build, buy a PC and just check the reviews on how upgradeable it is. If you cant swap the gfx card or something thats underpowered dont buy it. Mainly a GFX card is going to be your biggest concern replacing or getting up to par. As fro stats once again just check the min-max requirements on a game and compare to the pc you're looking at.

And yeah the AMD 6core not needed...I just went over kill with my PC but AMD is cheaper than intel

did the thread starter edit his post and i just came in late? or was the big bold letters saying he doesn't want to build his own computer always there and Ivyboy and GJ chose to ignore it?

either way.. I'll join in.. so.. I don't really trust WD harddrives. I was raised to believe seagates were decent harrdrives... so unless WD stepped their game up since i was in college when their harddrives were notorious for crapping out faster than a SLR (mercedes), yeah.. i'm fuckin with either samsung or seagate.... don't really trust the WD's... too many scars for me to come back.

as for the thread starter.. with $700.00 do you really want to buy a computer from best buy? considering you're limited you can have a decent gaming computer.. not a top shelf, but a decent one..

answer this question first.

what's the computer going to be used for? - specific things (ie gaming, work) or a jack of all trades yet master of none?

i'm guessing the latter since your budget is limited and you want the best bang for your buck.. if best buy's the only place you're looking at, this is my recommendation

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b9001313.aspx?path=abd72d57ad2c58b3b18552a43980ce66en02

decent enough to do stuff... and there's a tb harddrive so there's pleanty of space. the 4 gigs of ram and there's space for it to upgrade so it should help keep things going smoothly.

anywho.. my 2 cents. have fun!

did the thread starter edit his post and i just came in late? or was the big bold letters saying he doesn't want to build his own computer always there and Ivyboy and GJ chose to ignore it?

either way.. I'll join in.. so.. I don't really trust WD harddrives. I was raised to believe seagates were decent harrdrives... so unless WD stepped their game up since i was in college when their harddrives were notorious for crapping out faster than a SLR (mercedes), yeah.. i'm fuckin with either samsung or seagate.... don't really trust the WD's... too many scars for me to come back.

as for the thread starter.. with $700.00 do you really want to buy a computer from best buy? considering you're limited you can have a decent gaming computer.. not a top shelf, but a decent one..

answer this question first.

what's the computer going to be used for? - specific things (ie gaming, work) or a jack of all trades yet master of none?

i'm guessing the latter since your budget is limited and you want the best bang for your buck.. if best buy's the only place you're looking at, this is my recommendation

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b9001313.aspx?path=abd72d57ad2c58b3b18552a43980ce66en02

decent enough to do stuff... and there's a tb harddrive so there's pleanty of space. the 4 gigs of ram and there's space for it to upgrade so it should help keep things going smoothly.

anywho.. my 2 cents. have fun!

Thank you Madnis

thats all i really needed. this is mostly a computer for the family, witch i would use for now ( i plan on getting my own latter on )

i know where the store is, and i know that any computer i buy from best buy for 700$ will be more then enough to completely satisfy my family's needs.

If you decide to buy that one you will most likely have to buy another GFX card, though... HD 4200 card is pretty bad for today's standards and won't let you play any new games at decent quality with a good framerate. If you're gonna use the new PC mostly for games, the video card is very important, just like Ghengis_John and Ivyfanboy said earlier.

He edited it specifically because of us. He had said he didn't wanna build it or buy someplace else and we were just like "build it anyway". I guess he didn't appreciate that so he came in later and made that part really big and in bold to let us know just how important that part was to him. Then he thanked you. I can feel that cold shoulder from here man. Chilly.

Thing is though, "mainly for gaming" I couldn't recommend any of those. Not that you care what I think anymore Chaos, but that is the one I would take as well. The processor's cores are faster than the i7 they have available and the PCI-E slot is 16 times so it can support a pretty good card. But you will need a better card. That is the one I mentioned with the onboard video. You might wanna ask your salesman about proprietary hardware on the computer you're buying and if that's the case ask if the salesman knows if they carry Hewlett's hardware partners in store so you know where to get a card if you need one.

(proprietary hardware means you can't just put in any old parts, you'd need to use a manufacturer that has paid HP for the rights to produce parts for their computer models)

don't buy shit from best buy ever. if it is broken, the wrong piece, not compatible etc...they charge you a 30% restocking fee to return it, so if your $700 PC isn't right for you, you will only be able to return it for about $500. they have the most whack return policy ever.

He edited it specifically because of us. He had said he didn't wanna build it or buy someplace else and we were just like "build it anyway". I guess he didn't appreciate that so he came in later and made that part really big and in bold to let us know just how important that part was to him. Then he thanked you. I can feel that cold shoulder from here man. Chilly.

Thing is though, "mainly for gaming" I couldn't recommend any of those. Not that you care what I think anymore Chaos, but that is the one I would take as well. The processor's cores are faster than the i7 they have available and the PCI-E slot is 16 times so it can support a pretty good card. But you will need a better card. That is the one I mentioned with the onboard video. You might wanna ask your salesman about proprietary hardware on the computer you're buying and if that's the case ask if the salesman knows if they carry Hewlett's hardware partners in store so you know where to get a card if you need one.

(proprietary hardware means you can't just put in any old parts, you'd need to use a manufacturer that has paid HP for the rights to produce parts for their computer models)

I didn't mean disrespect. i really appreciate your input and i know building one is better. i just thought putting the letters in bold would stop any more people from recommended those options. before IvyFanBoy made hes post i didn't even have the PS: part up there, then when you made your post i put it in bold. if any other people suggested those options i would just keep putting it in bigger and bigger letters and eventually start putting the letter in bright colors.

but yea im gonna buy that one from best buy. im not really playing games right now ( my ISP is shit on a stick ). but if i start and i have not bought my own computer ill buy a new video card.

why do you ask for advice, then? just go to best buy and ask a salesman. they know more about their crappy ripoffs than any of us do.

There's no harm in asking. Computers a tricky things to grasp if you're not savvy. Some people just need a direction

If you shop from the right vendors, it is actually cheaper to buy a pre-assembled machine than it is to build your own, because the manufacturers buy parts in bulk and get a much bigger discount than you would from Newegg. An Alienware computer, you are literally paying for the brand name, but companies like Asus, Acer, etc. (even Hewlett-packard still I believe, not too savvy about desktop markets right now) will likely get you a better deal than a computer with the equivalent parts, especially when you include the cost of software.

Since you're in the 700 dollar budget range, I think it's safe to say that you aren't extremely serious about bleeding edge technology, and in that range, pre-assembled is an even more obvious value. For one, you may want to increase your budget to around 1000 if at all possible, as this will make your computer considerably more future proof. Second of all, you really should shop around at a variety of places like amazon, newegg, hewlett packard's site. 700 dollars is a large investment to make without knowing what you can get for your money.

Back