Nightmare's Movelist Changes and Move Speculation Thread

First off, thank you to Thespian for finding the gameplay. I've been so eager to see my main in action :)

Now as far as I can tell for new stuff:

1) agA got nerfed in range, pushback on CH nerfed
2) 3B looks silly unsafe but may be a good tool for guard crush and baiting for his super awesome CE. I really hope they change this though.
3) Like hteng pointed out, new horizontal mid(possibly new 44A?) and it looks like it could transition to grim stride!
4) The other new move from grim stride just looks like the new GS A, maybe safer?
5) Overall it seems like he got a slight nerf in damage but his speed seems to be faster than SC4.
6) His CE is an auto-GIing bomb, though I don't see much purpose outside of the agi other then maybe chaining in a wall combo. Very slow, flashy start-up and extremely manly.

That's pretty much all I could find, can't wait for more :3

First off, thank you to Thespian for finding the gameplay. I've been so eager to see my main in action :)

Now as far as I can tell for new stuff:

1) agA got nerfed in range, pushback on CH nerfed
2) 3B looks silly unsafe but may be a good tool for guard crush and baiting for his super awesome CE. I really hope they change this though.
3) Like hteng pointed out, new horizontal mod(possibly new 44A?) and it looks like it could transition to grim stride!
4) The other new move from grim stride just looks like the new GS A, maybe safer?
5) Overall it seems like he got a slight nerf in damage but his speed seems to be faster than SC4.
6) His CE is an auto-GIing bomb, though I don't see much purpose outside of the agi other then maybe chaining in a wall combo. Very slow, flashy start-up and extremely manly.

That's pretty much all I could find, can't wait for more :3

His damage is about the same as it was in SC4 it seems to be. The AGi seems to be a defensive tool. The start-up frames looks like they are protected by the AGi and such its to help Nightmare deal with pressure from the pokey characters. I like it a lot. I think its unblockable if you charge it as well.

Looking at the gameplay, I do think that they sped him up but not quite as much as the SC3-4 difference. (attack speed wise) The CE looks interesting, seems more defensive than offensive.

His damage is about the same as it was in SC4 it seems to be. The AGi seems to be a defensive tool. The start-up frames looks like they are protected by the AGi and such its to help Nightmare deal with pressure from the pokey characters. I like it a lot. I think its unblockable if you charge it as well.

I understand that but with the start-up being as slow and telegraphed as it is, if you throw it out or use it and they don't attack into it, then it's going to get punished hard. Though I also got the impression that it could be UB, which would be pretty cool :)

As for his damage, his WR B -> NSS a:B doesn't seem to do 50+ damage :/ Idk if this can be attributed to the general decrease in damage or a specific nerf but I liked the damage on NSS a:B.

I understand that but with the start-up being as slow and telegraphed as it is, if you throw it out or use it and they don't attack into it, then it's going to get punished hard. Though I also got the impression that it could be UB, which would be pretty cool :)

As for his damage, his WR B -> NSS a:B doesn't seem to do 50+ damage :/ Idk if this can be attributed to the general decrease in damage or a specific nerf but I liked the damage on NSS a:B.

That Nightmare was using it offensively, i can see it being used as part of a GS pressure mix-up or in a GI trap situation where you put yourself on minor negative frames to bait out a retaliation attack. Or defensively when under positive frame pressure from Natsu or X. I can see so many situations which I can use it. I'm loving the sound of it.

That Nightmare was using it offensively, i can see it being used as part of a GS pressure mix-up

That reminds me, GS was cancelled into the CE, with the auto-GI frames on it people will be much more reluctant to 2A every GS transition when we have 1 bar. Good catch there Engared!

While I'm glad to see him moving super fast, I think his range and his RO/wall-combo ability might've been nerfed.

I wouldn't say this for sure, but there's a possibility that GS KK is out and instead it's just GS K. It's at 8 minutes into the video. Whoever was playing NM in that video was obviously well versed in SC4 NM, so there'd be no explanation that he'd just do GS K without the second hit unless it was a horrible input error, the input changed, or it no longer exists. The new animation of it (NM's and the way the opponent is lifted) seems to suggest it was taken out.

And like someone else pointed out, the range on aga looks pretty reduced. Which seems like a pretty bad nerf, I guess they really want to make step stronger in this game. I'll reserve judgement, but I'm not liking the changes so far. Everyone else's character seems to have been nerfed as well, so I guess I can't complain.

That reminds me, GS was cancelled into the CE, with the auto-GI frames on it people will be much more reluctant to 2A ever GS transition when we have 1 bar. Good catch there Engared!

I hope that is the case.I really hope thats the case lol. That would be ridiculous.

I was thinking more like empty GS into CE, especially if the CE is unblockable. He will have to step it on reaction and then Nightmare should get a guaranteed throw attempt, GS A etc. Fearsome.

While I'm glad to see him moving super fast, I think his range and his RO/wall-combo ability might've been nerfed.

I wouldn't say this for sure, but there's a possibility that GS KK is out and instead it's just GS K. It's at 8 minutes into the video. Whoever was playing NM in that video was obviously well versed in SC4 NM, so there'd be no explanation that he'd just do GS K without the second hit unless it was a horrible input error, the input changed, or it no longer exists. The new animation of it (NM's and the way the opponent is lifted) seems to suggest it was taken out.

And like someone else pointed out, the range on aga looks pretty reduced. Which seems like a pretty bad nerf, I guess they really want to make step stronger in this game. I'll reserve judgement, but I'm not liking the changes so far. Everyone else's character seems to have been nerfed as well, so I guess I can't complain.

I think it was an input error (or changed input) or to get the full combo you need meter, which could be very likely.

NM also has other step killing tools which are still there. Maybe the long range version might be reserved to iagA. All speculation though haha.

I'm just loving his step speed. That alone will make him stronger. Getting rid of his shitty SC4 backstep is the biggest buff to the azure knight imo.

I think it was an input error (or changed input) or to get the full combo you need meter, which could be very likely.
Ah, I could definitely see the old GS KK being reserved for a BE. If Astaroth can get a 22B4 BE with a relaunch then NM can get the old GS KK back with BE.

That Nightmare was using it offensively, i can see it being used as part of a GS pressure mix-up or in a GI trap situation where you put yourself on minor negative frames to bait out a retaliation attack. Or defensively when under positive frame pressure from Natsu or X. I can see so many situations which I can use it. I'm loving the sound of it.

I think that may be in large part due to the player being not that good or familiar with NM's CE. In any sort of high-level play, it'd be hard to imagine a player not just quick-stepping and punishing accordingly. Though I'm still really psyched about the AGi property and I do think it'll give him a new scary layer of psuedo-safety, i'm worried that the developers will use that as an excuse to make him derpy unsafe. I hope thats not the case though and that he's relatively safe and his CE can be used outside it's AGi baiting.

On the GS KK, I pray that it was just an input error or maybe the input switched to K8K or something. I couldn't begin to fathom the logic behind a crippling nerf like making GS KK, his primary RO and wall carrier, brave edge only.

^^^

4:30 - 66B? looks weird on whiff
4:35 - BT 2K no knockdown now?
4:50 - when he does his CE from the GS, it looks kinda like GS A+B animation right before CE activates...
5:20ish - counterhit with far 3B causes knockdown now. 33B got range nerfed maybe? (again? lol)
5:40 - uppercut from GS? whiffed....

^^^

0:04 - 4A is no longer a guard break?
0:54 - WS A??
1:20 - WS AA...but is he really doing that from a crouch? it doesn't look like it...and then he does a 2 hit B string that looks new. maybe he now has a BB instead of BBB like he used to have in older games?

Schneider, you rock.

@5:26 the agA range makes me :( but @5:40 the iagA appears to have more range, though the frame advantage seems to be less.

As Tiamat pointed out, the range on his 33B is sadly shorter. I'd say the same for his NSS A and NSS B as well, straight depressing. What kind of pressure is NM going to be able to keep up on spacing characters?

GS A agi spin stun is no longer there.

From the other video, his new BB looks great and no more guard break for 4A(seems safe though).

Back