Raphael video thread!

[youtube=Evo 2009 Hudathan vs Revin 1]zqysazGpxe4[/youtube]

[youtube=Evo 2009 Hudathan vs Revin 2]y0VUdqhtAtU[/youtube]

[youtube=Evo 2009 Linkrkc vs Hudathan 1]v4DWghxMm6c[/youtube]

[youtube=Evo 2009 Linkrkc vs Hudathan 2]dv8QBHHnUpc[/youtube]

[youtube=Evo 2009 IvyFanboy vs Hudathan 1]SA-IUljCW6s[/youtube]

[youtube=Evo 2009 IvyFanboy vs Hudathan 2]mYRCkh-DJl0[/youtube]

[youtube=Evo 2009 IvyFanboy vs Hudathan 3]_a1YL0b5xHg[/youtube]

Really good fight vs Voldo, must have been your last match in losers cause I could feel the tenseness. I didn't see you whiff punish X like at all, saw a good number of opportunities for 236B there. Prep got prepictable lol. Was surprised they fell for SEBB so much...I remember fighting Belial at Evo, he JI'd that shit the first time I tried it lol. Yeah I might would have disrespected those guys more and did some more lows/throws heh. Really good use of AB vs Voldo, I hate fighting that character.

I see you actually use 6B+K...hm. I guess it's safer than 4B.

Purify mentioned a strong point. I already worry so much about prep vs ducking and left stepping opponents. But after realizing, vs fierce competition, SEB is so FUCKING GI bait it's not even funny -_-........SEB B? Seriously this move is almost as easy a GI as Asty's 9B+K or Yun's 6BB. SEB A is easy to GI too.

And wtf are you gonna do about it? Go back to SEA? Yeah right -_-

^I just tried SEB B only 'cause Prep A/SEA B got GIed vs X, I figured why not and it worked twice heh. I guess if the opponent "just doesn't know" and starts GIing stuff in Prep/SE then it's worth a shot. Overall though I know it's just a shenanigan that'll work only in certain situations like that one. Heh I also concentrated maybe too much on spacing/pushback that I forgot to capitalize on it, oh well.

6B+K I'm sort of experimenting with, it does really good SG damage but it's really linear. It's also -9 on block, doesn't push back too far, and the block stun animation looks really short so it might tempt an immediate counter poke. Here I would whiff my soul into a GI in order to further add to the SG damage that 6B+K already does. I'm also trying to do something similar with other moves like 44K, decent SG damage, tech jumps, -10 on block, leaves me right in their face and forces crouch which may/may not be beneficial from character to character...
It's not up yet but someone else recorded my last match in the tourney against an Amy, not STD's Amy but it might as well have been. Basically she got in and did her thing, then I tried to space/push her back so she stepped and did her thing some more, :(G)::(G):.

Plus some casuals against a Sophie player, I found nothing too special to note but maybe you'll like something:

watching that.. raph isn't a guy who should push someone into a corner.. just becuase he can't abuse his pushback on block.

However.. it is harder for the opponant to step though .. hrmm

imo 6B+K is a dead-end move.. 3B does that and everything better (save for that one final SG crush attack).

44K and 8K could kind of be mixed up (8K is not bad on block) so you could do some tricks.

but yeah, -8 to -10 seems to be a really good block disadvantage to GI afterwards....

If anyone goes on to Xephukai's page or see's it on the entrance page to 8wayrun.com, I have a Raphael vs Mitsu video up. There were many other matches, some alot closer then that one, but I still lost the majority of them because I can't figure out how to severely punish Mitsu(at least, online) for his mixup games in stances. Too much damage, too much evasion, and the high's are so damn fast I can't figure out where I'm supposed to duck n' punish.

Any Critique would be appreciated.

Did you have a good connection with said individual ? hehe finally got vids so thats good.

alrighty lets see what i can spot (aside from obvious whiffs)

at 0:33 after blocking his MST B .. you throw a 4A. Now i have a habit of doing moves that i should have used to evade.. because it was the last thing in my mind .. (such as doing a jump kick after blocking a low attack). Good thing he didnt' punish.

at 0:35... his 4B's pushback is really good (even your 6B whiffs). 90% of online mitsus will try some bullshit right after you block that .. so if you do a 3B_3 at least it's a force block situation, and you'll put pressure on him while doing SG damage. If you whiff.. you'll eat his 22B.. which is pretty damn painful.

After 2 rounds.. i notice that (ONLY THIS PARTICULAR INDIVIDUAL) .. that if you hit him with a force-crouch move on block.. he'll pretty much always wrB. (at least in 0:57, 1:18 and 1:37)
An easy set-up to do damage is 8K~33K:B.

Imo : after 6BBB on CH.. i think it's a good chance to follow through with a 2A (at worse you'll eat mitsu's 4B) or another 6BBB. It's neutral on hit.. and mitsu isn't fast enough to beat you with speed.

When he steps towards with MST (i think thats the stance) such as at 2:50 the options generally WONT be high (it's the SM-H horizontal or he does the 6BB mid ) so using 4 actually doesn't help much.
IMO it's pretty hard to beat.. and the mitsu will enter this stance as you are on the ground so his knockdowns are to be avoided.

So after watching the entire thing.. basically when you get to mitsu's tip range.. you'll notice it's pretty much ALL verticals.. so work on your side step/8wr (or at least put the fear of step into him).

And o yeah .. you need more 3B

good advice, and btw, you mean 3B and NOT 3(B) correct? Vs tough competition you really can't just 3(B) constantly like you would someone who doesn't know Raph....

good advice, and btw, you mean 3B and NOT 3(B) correct? Vs tough competition you really can't just 3(B) constantly like you would someone who doesn't know Raph....

hmm actually the key is to obviously mix it up on block..... but without sacrificing the guaranteed damage of 3~prepBB on hit.

However, the risk/reward of guessing correctly after 3B/3 seems to be a lot worse then i'd like. All that means is that 3~prepA needs to come out more

You can totally 3 constantly against people who know Raph, but that will make you a bit more predictable. You can even us it against people who know Raph well enough to understand that the different frames entering prep. Be aware that 3 on hit guarantees prep BB_B

You can totally 3 constantly against people who know Raph, but that will make you a bit more predictable. You can even us it against people who know Raph well enough to understand that the different frames entering prep. Be aware that 3 on hit guarantees prep BB_B

Thats what i'm trying to say.

Let's say you think they'll block so you plan to do 3B~ step 3B. If they do block it.. it's all dandy you just gained some ground. If you actually DO score a CH.. you basically lost your chance on prepBB bonus damage (which cuts the damgae from 40ish to 20ish - 50%). Now it does seem pretty drastic, but as long as you can capitalize 3B on hit, you could gain non-damage advantage.

You could hit them with bigger SG crushing moves if you expect them to block, or you can move in and mixup.. etc.

One last thing about the actual video (and not online theory) is that you really didnt' have a lot of chances to do 44B.. as the mitsu generally did some mid-ranged vertical move whenever possible. As long as you throw in moves that space well on block, threatening with 44B allows you to open up. If the opponent (like the mitsu) won't fall for it.. its' time to whip out 22~VEB:B on him!. Characters with decent BB's are the ones that 44B don't work well until you force them to short-range horizontals.

There are certain characters that have good enough damage ratios to just try launcher/block/launcher/block patterns (ahem amy) but raph is not one of those characters..

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xephukai#play/all/uploads-all/0/7x93ZQfsg8Q

Another one I lost, Raph vs Mitsu.

I'm seeing that patience would have saved me alot of damage in these video's. If mitsu didn't have throws from stance he'd be ALOT easier to defend against....

Probably same advice applies to this one as well.

hey whos recording ?

btw i like your 2nd vids, especially with the active step into grabs.

Looks like my 44B advice was bad.. since this matchup it never really gave you anything.. heh but it is down to the player i suppose. Just keep in mind this mitsu knows about SEA .. so mix that one up.... if felt like a real momentum killer everytime you went into prepA after (though he really couldn't punish it). I guess in this case attempt GI after blocked prepA ?

Again though i liked the spacing of vid 2 a lot.

Not bad, it's useful but here it didn't do me much good. BTW all these videos(more coming) were in 1 session with Xephukai(he's recording), so I didn't take your advice and THEN play it, it's all the same session.

Yeah I'm getting alot better at the spacing, I was very happy at myself with that 2nd video in concern with that. What I Am noticing though is Xeph does a decent amount of Mitsu stance set ups that involve an abundant use of highs that I'm not ducking....Raphael has all the tools to own Mitsu, I just need to apply them better.

Again, like you said, I noticed my SEA B set ups were getting quite predictable...it's scary though because trying to go into anything after SEA B besides Prep A seems so slow even if it is the fastest prep transition.....

You don't see it too much in these video's but when I get an opponent grounded, I try 11B ALOT, and I'm having problems with it whiffing because I can't figure out 100% whether I should use 11B or 77B in any particular situation. When I came too was that, just like 22_88BB:B combo, you go the OPPOSITE side your opponent is on or rolls too. Still, 11B whiffing at close range can KILL you......

hmm actually the key is to obviously mix it up on block..... but without sacrificing the guaranteed damage of 3~prepBB on hit.

However, the risk/reward of guessing correctly after 3B/3 seems to be a lot worse then i'd like. All that means is that 3~prepA needs to come out more

umm ?_?
on block 3 is steppable even A gets stepped the only that tracks is Sea B but it's too slow so....
step+B = end of all mixups even 3B that's unsafe.

am i wrong?

P.S: mitsu has that FC 1B (if i remember well) mixed with 88a that can really screw raphs preps btw raph has other tools to play....

true that but 3B is an awful prep imho if you are not 100% sure to land it.

Question:
what's the problem with SEB B?
the GI is easy if you buffer it but in prep you can delay the command making the GI whiff.
in the mindgame it gives you the upper hand considering the risk/reward and you can also go for a seB A that tracks 100% and is +2 on block (and SEBB is -2 so both are great) or you say it's GIable on reaction ._. ?

i find seB very solid (if you manage to enter it -.-) but maybe i miss something or i am not so good to gi on reaction maybe....

Back