Soul Calibur 5 Guest/Bonus/CAS Character Discussion

I'm" willing to bet that despite nearly 20 pages of speculations and opinions, Namco/Bandai is going to pull out a nice little surprise for a guest character. Someone/thing that no one would even give the slightest possibility. If you're going to guess a guest character, I'd say think out of the box (Can't get any more out of the box than Star Wars when you really think about it though.)

197431_190305547679444_100000999999228_469378_3522509_n.jpg

I like the idea of inuyasha ,but his moves would be kind of limiting and boring. Sheshomaru (or however you spell it)would be better because he has more moves but ,still a little lacking. Actually now that i think of it Wouldn't it be awesome just to have more characters?

You just hit it on the head - let's just have more serious fighting styles to take on to the series - permanently, after all, it was only a few years ago Yun, Cassie, Raph & Talim were guest characters, remember?
As a new fighting style I'd quite like to see a longsword and shield style, simiair to Cass and Soph but with less mobility and more power, a bit like lizardman but with slightly longer range and more... Um... Human XD

I've said it a million times the one weapon style I want to see more than anything else is the Kusarigama. Throw this style on a ninja character (preferably a Fuma Ninja) and bam! You got yourself a new badass character with a backstory to play off of (I'm" talking about Taki of course.)

Either way, I still would like the characters I love in the game and some new ones. If that means that I don't get to play as Kirby wielding a giant stardildo then so be it.(btw Pirates > Ninjas)

OK this is starting to sound like a MK thread (the whole Ninja thing) so let's just get back to subject:

I guess since it's Namco they can just pull another Tekken character out of their ass to save money. It would probably be Lars since he is Tekken's new golden boy or perhaps Jin Kazama.

My opinion? I'm definitely in the camp that goes for the "have artists make new designs for SC" camp. If there's one thing that has always made me sad, it's that for all that PS may have put quite bit of TLC into making (and balancing) character models and movesets for the guest characters, it seems like such a big waste, knowing that by the very next game, those characters likely won't ever return.

I'm thinking, if Odashima and Harada want to hit up more artists (Western and Japanese alike) to do something similar for SC, I'd be all for that. It would just mean that those characters would then be owned by Namco (much like how Lars is for Tekken), and those characters would then go on to be permanent additions to the franchise. So by all means, go on and give the likes of Tite Kubo (Bleach) and Makoto Tsuchibayashi (Devil May Cry, Sengoku BASARA) more work. Far as I'm concerned, new characters that could be designed by them, for the sake of the SC series, would speak to me more than just having Ichigo or Dante stop by for a cheap marketing thing.
Seeing some Makoto Tsuchibayashi (Devil May Cry, Sengoku BASARA) would be the best thing for this area in the game. DMC has some pretty badass characters to fight that don't steam to far from what SC is about, It makes sense for them to want soul edge and Nightmare would be in heaven, or pissed at dante's taunting.

Dante, Vergil and Nero from Devil May Cry series would be great but I already made them on char creation and they look great (to me) :D

There were different weaposns for custom characters in SC3, what happent to that in SC4, it was preventing people from using their custom chars too much.

First one is Nero and the second one is Dante. And i think "TypicalEvil" is right. Maybe with enough options on char creation, SC won't need guest chars.

Yes, it would help even more if CAF had more referenced clothing or specific clothing. The Nero pic is pretty nice but the dante is I bet is as best as the maker could do. I think it would benifit a lot if that mode has clothing from standing characters from other anime into the game so we can make them ourselves like general shinigami uniforms from bleach, general jonin clothing from naruto, general martial art' gi from Dragonball.
Like actually having dante's clothing but refered to as "Half-demon Cloak" and etc. They did this in SC3 with that robot girl's outfit being acessable but not having the actual character. It would even spawn some deeper appreciation for what-ifs, like self-insursions in Dante's clothing or whatever. as of now CAF in SC is far too generic and far to vague to really give us the imagination.

MK armageddon took this into consideration closely to what I mean, it has:
Goku's hair
Sailormoon's hair
Akuma's hair
Ken's hair
and others I can't remember, they were noticed by fans but not labeled directly from the characters to avoid copy right I assume.

One of the biggest concerns and the very reason custom characters are frowned upon is hit boxes.
I'm more concerned how the fan base for CAS is gonna build up.

Do the majority of casual fans for CAS only care for CAS and not the rest of the original SC cast? Just like how there are fans who only care about guest characters and not the original cast.

Are these players just gonna spend the rest of their time playing their CAS characters and not really bother playing an original character?

So far to me CAS is just gimmicky that may have to potential to steal the show from the original cast. The Soul Calibur series has always begin with original casts; that's how I see SC being built around that, but if CAS gets the benefit of the doubt then I think the fan base will demand more emphasis on CAS without giving second thought on the original cast and eventually CAS will take whatever room is left.

That's the reason I think a separate game may do.

The character creation in SCIV is awesome, and it's the main reason why I still play it regularly. But as great as it is, there are a couple of things keeping it from being perfect.
There's quite a lot holding it back actually, as I've complained before. I felt that it's too much of a swaping game that leaves little imagination IMO.

Faces are preset and very vague ranging from cutie to very ugly, hair is preset and cannot be altered, clothing cannot be altered, age cannot be altered, size cannot be altered, voices were generic and annoying. (the SC3 voices were better and they added them back in SC4 Broken destiny, which I hope is kept with the addition of more voices to them. I don't want to range from the VERY annoying high-pitched girl one, to the sexually promiscuous voice. That is not working for me. What about evil and sadistic like Juri or Tira's voices?. The first player costumes were all better then the 2nd player costumes yet all we get were the 2nd player outfits. (In broken destiny you get 1st costumes now and both genders can wear them) Age is a factor lift out, the youngest and smallest you should be able to be is talim or Amy's range.

Clothing is very limitd, belts were attached to pants, pants were all basically the same, there wasn't any sight of loincloths (like what seung-mina worse in SC1-SC3) and I'd hate to say it but the underwear was very poor in selection. For the men I don't care but for the women, a lot was all the same, as of women have the wider selection of underwear logically. Not very ranging, they could give us more princess-like under clothing to peasent/poor or wild. In SD vs RAW you get quite a few choices, from fancy, to strips of cloth, to thongs, to gothic weird punisher-like stuff and fishnetting. What about fundoshi from japan to the european corset and stuff or demon Belts?

Generally for coats and etc, the males had much better looking clothing options then the woman. for the females all you get was princess dresses and crap to wear the males had badass coats and chains.
I really hate that clothing would vapourize when destroyed.

I also don't like being forced to just use preset movesets... It defeats the purpose to use the original cast. They should offer CAS characters, their own movesets and styles but not boring or generic ones. Speaking of styles, Why hasn't Link's longsword and The gauntlets from tekken converted yet? I want to make a hand-to-hand character and a longsword character.

I can't discredit the appeal for CAS characters, with a better system that didn't compromise balance even I would be on top of it. People like customizations, RPG have proven that allure and we're beginning to see that trait in other genres. As well not to many people care about fighting game canon, generally it's fucking terrible (spare Mortal Kombat), so liking a character usually deals with their personality and look. If you like the style but no the character aesthetically there's tons of reason to wan a CAS.

I can't discredit the appeal for CAS characters, with a better system that didn't compromise balance even I would be on top of it. People like customizations, RPG have proven that allure and we're beginning to see that trait in other genres. As well not to many people care about fighting game canon, generally it's fucking terrible (spare Mortal Kombat), so liking a character usually deals with their personality and look. If you like the style but no the character aesthetically there's tons of reason to wan a CAS.
I just hate Stats being tied to clothing. Samurai Warriors 3 (JPN) - CAW / Editer is just like Soul calibur 4's but more to like what it should have been. Its overall better with less vague and generic outfits and slightly more options. It also has A LOT better weapon options. Why can't we add tatoos or scars (on both geners) seperately from underwear....? There should be a make up and face paint option. Aura for evil characters would be nice aswell (like when Yeung sung grabbed souledge, it would be nice to be a glowing-eyed, duo voice when using soul edge.

Oh we're talking about special mode....lol. I was strictly referring to aesthetic. Tho...I wouldn't mind if it was done to be competitive. It would need a drastic overhaul, but I love customization.

Oh we're talking about special mode....lol. I was strictly referring to aesthetic. Tho...I wouldn't mind if it was done to be competitive. It would need a drastic overhaul, but I love customization.
well im not straying from the idea, most people play that particular mode for the reasons I do I'm sure. But yes, CAS does need an overhaul.

Back