Soul Calibur 6 CAS Suggestions Video

Kai_lombax

[13] Hero
Hey there guys and girls, I wasn't sure if I ever uploaded this video that I made earlier this year of some ideas for Soul Calibur VI's character creation so I thought I'd post it here if anyone would be interested in seeing it. :) Please excuse my voice, I know it may sound a little monotonous but it was my first spoken word video... Anyway, feel free to comment your own opinions, I much encourage them as perhaps some of you have other ideas and I'd love to hear them!

I'm hoping that we do see a Soul Calibur 6 but I pray they will take their time with it and definitely expand a bit more on the creation. Here's to hoping the best for the next installment in the series whenever it comes out in the future.

More coloring options would be nice. Chara sharing options would be awesome too. Really shouldn't be hard to add anyways. That TTF hair engine you showed would be great too. I need side ponytail!!! Couple things I'd like to add.

No more DLC. Money shouldn't become any more of a factor than it already is. Too much high detail DLC would also take away the fun of SCV CaS. Dynasty Warrior creation isn't as interesting cuz no matter what you make, it'll be drop-dead gorgeous and generic. It's the plain, flat surfaces in SCV that allow artists' individuality to flourish. And SpecEq too, of course.

All the weird little compatibility issues and quirks (like that stocking one) with the pre-existing equipment could be improved. A lot of the little glitches and clipping leads to some really cool tricks though, so I'd be hesitant to change too much. Kinda like all those crazy techniques/exploits in Smash Bros. Melee.

We don't need more complicated face/body programs. These might actually hurt the artistic community by changing its very culture. People would focus on recreating Beyonce or Brad Pitt rather than do costume design, which is what differentiates SCV creation from Skyrim and Bioware creation (neither of which have CaS forums). I think the current drop-down menu works just fine.

If you want lolita, it's funner, cheaper, and freer to make it yourself than color-editing some DLC anyways. We had a whole contest devoted to gothic lolita, which you can find here:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/most-esteemed-one-shot-contest-thread.15703/page-32#post-672344

Anyways, these are all really small details. As long as they keep stickers and SpecEq, I'm good to go.

from SC4 onward I lost interest in creation, in SCV I ignored it completely simply because the characters created had no character, no soul to them...no matter how much I tried to cover up my creations aesthetically I could never see past that they were just simply hollow mannequins rigged with an existing characters moveset. maybe if they were to take a page from MK Armageddon's Kreate-a-Soul where you could not only design your own fighter but, to a degree, design your own moveset aswell.

I find myself focusing more on character edits and recolours, being a former 2D fighter in my younger days, I'd naturally gravitate towards recolours (specifically purple colour schemes if available)...but I'd like more options for character edits, I'd like to be to not only customise an existing character as a whole, but to be able to customise both 1P and 2P outfits, to be able to make those outfits available for other characters aswell for classic outfits to made available, and I mean everyones AS A WHOLE and not just pieces of an incomplete armour/outfit and just leave everyone elses out (srsly just making NM's helms available does 50% well because his chest armour/cuirass is already there, but without the actual leg armour/waist faulds etc he will look fking ridiculous...the only things I've found to work are:
SC1 NM helm + white knight fauld + gorgon greaves
SC2 NM helm + white knight fauld + Warthog boots (because nothing else works for me on this one)

Also for specific things to be editable aswell. What I mean by this is, in SC4 only pulled me into creation mode for one thing, to be able customise Nightmare's arm...other character edits were just trivial.
And of course the armour breaking crap...SCV had the right sought of idea to break off "certain parts" of a characters armour, but created and customised character still end up facing the same thing...I don't want to land NM's 22B and fight Voldo in boxers in the next round man...perhaps if they were switch out the whole armour destruction and give clothing and armour gradual wear and tear or something like that.

More coloring options would be nice. Chara sharing options would be awesome too. Really shouldn't be hard to add anyways. That TTF hair engine you showed would be great too. I need side ponytail!!! Couple things I'd like to add.

No more DLC. Money shouldn't become any more of a factor than it already is. Too much high detail DLC would also take away the fun of SCV CaS. Dynasty Warrior creation isn't as interesting cuz no matter what you make, it'll be drop-dead gorgeous and generic. It's the plain, flat surfaces in SCV that allow artists' individuality to flourish. And SpecEq too, of course.

All the weird little compatibility issues and quirks (like that stocking one) with the pre-existing equipment could be improved. A lot of the little glitches and clipping leads to some really cool tricks though, so I'd be hesitant to change too much. Kinda like all those crazy techniques/exploits in Smash Bros. Melee.

We don't need more complicated face/body programs. These might actually hurt the artistic community by changing its very culture. People would focus on recreating Beyonce or Brad Pitt rather than do costume design, which is what differentiates SCV creation from Skyrim and Bioware creation (neither of which have CaS forums). I think the current drop-down menu works just fine.

If you want lolita, it's funner, cheaper, and freer to make it yourself than color-editing some DLC anyways. We had a whole contest devoted to gothic lolita, which you can find here:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/most-esteemed-one-shot-contest-thread.15703/page-32#post-672344

Anyways, these are all really small details. As long as they keep stickers and SpecEq, I'm good to go.
Thanks for the link post, there was some pretty neat stuff.

But I have to disagree a bit with the more facial options. Sure, people may start making other real people like celebrities and anime cosplay characters but they already do this anyway. I'm sure there would be a lot of people whjo'd love to make their characters be original and I feel the face options as well as the hair options would help push the creation process even further. I'll be the first to say that every character I've made has been from a figment of my imagination for the series and I know others who are the same. Sure, I did the occasional cosplay like making Cloud (FF) but for the most part, I keep it strictly for original characters. I just personally got tired of using the same face presets because well, you just can't help but feel monotonous with them. It doesn't help that most of them look generic anime (which granted, yes, Soul Calibur has been anime influenced since it's inception) but I remember in Soul Calibur 2-3 where the characters didn't look as heavily anime as they do now, at least for some of the characters. If they added face options that allowed me to taper down the eyes and give a more semi realistic look, I'd welcome it with open arms. But this is just me.

Thanks for sharing your ideas/suggestions. :)

from SC4 onward I lost interest in creation, in SCV I ignored it completely simply because the characters created had no character, no soul to them...no matter how much I tried to cover up my creations aesthetically I could never see past that they were just simply hollow mannequins rigged with an existing characters moveset. maybe if they were to take a page from MK Armageddon's Kreate-a-Soul where you could not only design your own fighter but, to a degree, design your own moveset aswell.

I find myself focusing more on character edits and recolours, being a former 2D fighter in my younger days, I'd naturally gravitate towards recolours (specifically purple colour schemes if available)...but I'd like more options for character edits, I'd like to be to not only customise an existing character as a whole, but to be able to customise both 1P and 2P outfits, to be able to make those outfits available for other characters aswell for classic outfits to made available, and I mean everyones AS A WHOLE and not just pieces of an incomplete armour/outfit and just leave everyone elses out (srsly just making NM's helms available does 50% well because his chest armour/cuirass is already there, but without the actual leg armour/waist faulds etc he will look fking ridiculous...the only things I've found to work are:
SC1 NM helm + white knight fauld + gorgon greaves
SC2 NM helm + white knight fauld + Warthog boots (because nothing else works for me on this one)

Also for specific things to be editable aswell. What I mean by this is, in SC4 only pulled me into creation mode for one thing, to be able customise Nightmare's arm...other character edits were just trivial.
And of course the armour breaking crap...SCV had the right sought of idea to break off "certain parts" of a characters armour, but created and customised character still end up facing the same thing...I don't want to land NM's 22B and fight Voldo in boxers in the next round man...perhaps if they were switch out the whole armour destruction and give clothing and armour gradual wear and tear or something like that.

I see. Well, I guess my love for character creation is due to me being an imaginative artist who draws my own characters and well, whenever I saw a game that I liked offer character creation, I'd jump right on it. When it was introduced into Soul Calibur 3, I remember my brother and I were overjoyed. I do agree though, I feel the creation system would be more good if it allowed some sem deeper face options. I understnad what you mean about the face presets as I started feeling that way in Soul Calibur IV where I realized I kept using the same 3-4 faces because I didn't really like how some of the others looked. If we had something like MK Armageddon, WWE 2k15, or even Dynasty Warriors (no matter how simple it is), it would bring in another piece of life to the characters.

You make some good points though.

Honestly I would like to see them add something new like stage creation
You know, while I was brainstorming my ideas for this video, I did think about stage creation and yeah, it would be cool but I'm just not sure how it would be implemented. But hey, if Super Smash Bros. Brawl was able to have a create a stage feature, I'm sure that Soul Calibur could as well.

I've also stage creation on my mind. I've even been figuring out how it could be implemented.

Same here, it's hard to think how it would work but if they ever do find a way, I'd welcome it.

Interesting discussion you are having here.
I for one definitely think face editor is pretty lackluster and even if i do understand why it is technically easier to go with presets, there are too few of them, and having no other option (on the clean shaved presets) than to use one or more precious ExEq slot to add a beard for instance is a shame.
The haircut sortiment on the other hand is a tad richer, but considering most of the haircuts are the ones of the standard cast, they did not sweat too much doing a couple of others recycled from previous instalments at that.
Lazy at best.

Stage creation as in SCIV (which looked more photrealistic than 5 btw) is a strange and unforgettable omission, as it would have made our life as picture posters that much easier.

Your video is a worthy effort and i thank you for taking the time to put it together so professionally...gotta love the fan service and music selection, great stuff...

Cheers,
Vil

Interesting discussion you are having here.
I for one definitely think face editor is pretty lackluster and even if i do understand why it is technically easier to go with presets, there are too few of them, and having no other option (on the clean shaved presets) than to use one or more precious ExEq slot to add a beard for instance is a shame.
The haircut sortiment on the other hand is a tad richer, but considering most of the haircuts are the ones of the standard cast, they did not sweat too much doing a couple of others recycled from previous instalments at that.
Lazy at best.

Stage creation as in SCIV (which looked more photrealistic than 5 btw) is a strange and unforgettable omission, as it would have made our life as picture posters that much easier.

Your video is a worthy effort and i thank you for taking the time to put it together so professionally...gotta love the fan service and music selection, great stuff...

Cheers,
Vil

I honestly really hope we get a face editor the most at this point. After playing Soul Calibur V extensively, I realized that I kept using the same few faces and I just feel that a face editor would be great for create a soul makers like us where we'd want to differentiate our characters from each other. If they offered this, something tells me my characters faces would resemble Soul Calibur 2-3 looks as I feel they had a more slightly realistic approach before they went more anime-like in the PS3 titles lol I also agree with the facial hair, it was much better where they gave you an option for facial hair like they did in Soul Calibur 3.

Yeah, the hair was a step up in terms of offering more but it would have been cool if they added the hairstyles from Soul Calibur 3 & Broken Destiny to offer even more styles. But I do feel that the hair customization would be a cool feature as well but I'm pressing more for the face editor than anything.

You know you're right. The stages in SCIV would be more of an appropriate way to have stage creation with the photos.

Thank you, I did try my best to make the videos as thought out and fully explained as I can.

Absolutely true.
Remember you can multiply possibles with facial paints : esp. the sharper features / old 'n wrinkled presets too few artists make use of...i certainly do :)
I had a thought watching your perfectly crafted vids.
Would you be willing to make a video montage of my CAS : both using snips from my many youtube vids and pics from thread or slideshows.
I have been toying with this idea but i have neither time nor skills to do so.
Just a wild idea and only if you think my stuff would be worth your while of course.

I thought i'd ask because your the one capable of pulling it off, even though you surely have better use for your youtube skillz :)

Surprised a post would make me relive this site again lol but everything you said in your videos I agree with completely! There's one hairstyle that the female cas has that would be perfect for my male character if it was a unisex option but sadly it never has been. It is a shame that they stopped making the rest of the dlc for SCV too, I was excited for Raphael's outfit.. sadly that dream was long gone. At least there's always hope for SC6 though! Personally I'd like them to add more weapon customization options too. Basically you pick a fighting style and then you get a base weapon to start with and you can earn extra pieces to add to your weapon as you level up/play through the game. Just to give it a little more in depth for making your own character into the series. And this one is a stretch itself but I've been wanting to be able to just use the guest characters fighting style or Algol's for my characters instead of having to use mods in order to use them. Even if that was a dlc thing you'd have to pay for or preorder to use. I would so do that! I'm hoping since this will probably be the next generation game they could really make it outstand a lot more than SCV was. Also imo, SCIII had the best customization options. True SCV is good but it really is a bit lacking so hopefully they boost the creativity in the next one! :)

Surprised a post would make me relive this site again lol but everything you said in your videos I agree with completely! There's one hairstyle that the female cas has that would be perfect for my male character if it was a unisex option but sadly it never has been. It is a shame that they stopped making the rest of the dlc for SCV too, I was excited for Raphael's outfit.. sadly that dream was long gone. At least there's always hope for SC6 though! Personally I'd like them to add more weapon customization options too. Basically you pick a fighting style and then you get a base weapon to start with and you can earn extra pieces to add to your weapon as you level up/play through the game. Just to give it a little more in depth for making your own character into the series. And this one is a stretch itself but I've been wanting to be able to just use the guest characters fighting style or Algol's for my characters instead of having to use mods in order to use them. Even if that was a dlc thing you'd have to pay for or preorder to use. I would so do that! I'm hoping since this will probably be the next generation game they could really make it outstand a lot more than SCV was. Also imo, SCIII had the best customization options. True SCV is good but it really is a bit lacking so hopefully they boost the creativity in the next one! :)

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it! So disappointed that they stopped the DLC, I'll never let that one go because we could have got some interesting stuff. I just really want the face and hair options because at the end of the day, your characters will end up looking the same when you keep using the same few faces. Also, the hair because it really isn't "their" hair. I feel hair customization can help differentiate the custom characters a bit but that's just my opinion.

As for Algol and Guest Characters, I do think it'd be cool to use but I see it happening more for Algol then the guest characters. I feel that the developers who let Project Soul use their characters don't want their characters' movesets replicated so that's why we never got any of the guest characters styles for creation. This is one of the reasons why I think Guest characters can be a downer because they ruin the gamet of having an actual new Soul Calibur character.

I do agree, in terms of content, Soul Calibur 3 is the best hands down. Plenty of hair, lots of clothing, no clipping (in the clothing), and just so much to keep you glued to the game. My brother and I were addicted to that game for a whole year lol. I will say that had they made Soul Calibur Broken Destiny a PS3 title and not a PSP one, It would probably be the best Soul Calibur game because from what I saw, they added a lot more clothing (plus both the main characters 1P & 2p outfits), more special items (Bombs, guitar, etc.), more hair (including making some unisex), and a wide variety of voices since they brought in some older ones from 3. It really could have been an amazing content experience had it been released on the PS3/360.

One thing for sure though, they better take their time with SC6 (assuming we'll get one) because if they pull the same crap they did with 5, that's going to put the final nail in the coffin for the series. Seriously, I don't care if I have to wait another few months or year for the game to complete. With games being 60$ these days, I want to be getting a full game.

Absolutely true.
Remember you can multiply possibles with facial paints : esp. the sharper features / old 'n wrinkled presets too few artists make use of...i certainly do :)
I had a thought watching your perfectly crafted vids.
Would you be willing to make a video montage of my CAS : both using snips from my many youtube vids and pics from thread or slideshows.
I have been toying with this idea but i have neither time nor skills to do so.
Just a wild idea and only if you think my stuff would be worth your while of course.

I thought i'd ask because your the one capable of pulling it off, even though you surely have better use for your youtube skillz :)

As much as that sounds fun, I really don't have much time to do side projects like that I'm afraid. I will say though that if you have Windows Movie Maker, it's fairly quick to make a slideshow video so whenever you have the time, check it out. It's very easy to use and shouldn't take long at all. This video I did toom ke 2 months to do because I wanted everything to be clearly explained. I was looking for Soul Calibur character creation idea vids on youtube and saw that there were only 2 and they were just poorly presented in my opinion (I mean, one guy was eating while he was talking and everything was all jumbled) so I felt it would be cool to make a thorough presentation of some ideas. :)

Agreed and true lol any new and old options for a better Cas is fine with me. Hopefully when the day comes we'll have the customization we are dreaming of!

Agreed and true lol any new and old options for a better Cas is fine with me. Hopefully when the day comes we'll have the customization we are dreaming of!
Same here because I recentely was watching my brother play around with character creation in SCV and it reminded me how boring it got since they didn't finish the DLC of other items. So hopefully, SCVI will be handled better.

There is so much more I want from CAS, and this goes beyond creating the looks for your character. Because its a fighting game I like to see more development in customize fighting styles that cater towards a player's style of playing, turtle, rush-down, both etc. However, with canon characters in the mix I don't think there is enough time for that.

Balance, and story-telling about canon characters are important and should come first before CAS takes its place and if I want more, then hopefully there's DLC to improve the CAS aspect.

Even if CAS becomes canon in SC6 I would still like to see more focus on custom fighting styles; rest are secondary.

- Hoods that aren't attached to capes
- Don't get rid of the "mummified" undergarments, I love that shit
- A long ass scarf so I can finally make a Hotsuma that pleases me
- Separate the right and left pauldron
- Separate the right and left hand
- Separate the right and left foot
- Less DLC focus

- Give us the existing character's costume parts, maybe as an Arcade/story reward
- Old costumes from previous SC titles (I know I'm gonna miss SC5's Yoshi helmet)
- More weapons
- More sticker slots
- Stickers on weapons?
- Corrections/edits to avoid incompatibility of items, like certain pauldrons with certain arms
- Customizing Yoshi and Nightmare's arms again

- Tekken 6 style hair editor, or better
- More face options, if not a full face editor
- Split up the color groups more when doing existing character recolors, to get more color variation
- Guest character fighting style available for use
- More voices, with a better pitch/tone editor
- Don't restrict customizing existing characters 3P costumes, like Yoshi and Nightmare
- Extra styles that aren't linked to the main cast, like SC3 had with all the side characters

More important ones are underlined, but all of these would make me a happy camper.

-Return to old cooler art style for the standard game
-allow me to to make online room where CaS are not allowed if i want so
-Right/left arm and leg as separate parts
-ALL official 1p-2p pieces avaible

That's it for me

- Hoods that aren't attached to capes
- Don't get rid of the "mummified" undergarments, I love that shit
- A long ass scarf so I can finally make a Hotsuma that pleases me
- Separate the right and left pauldron
- Separate the right and left hand
- Separate the right and left foot
- Less DLC focus

- Give us the existing character's costume parts, maybe as an Arcade/story reward
- Old costumes from previous SC titles (I know I'm gonna miss SC5's Yoshi helmet)
- More weapons
- More sticker slots
- Stickers on weapons?
- Corrections/edits to avoid incompatibility of items, like certain pauldrons with certain arms
- Customizing Yoshi and Nightmare's arms again

- Tekken 6 style hair editor, or better
- More face options, if not a full face editor
- Split up the color groups more when doing existing character recolors, to get more color variation
- Guest character fighting style available for use
- More voices, with a better pitch/tone editor
- Don't restrict customizing existing characters 3P costumes, like Yoshi and Nightmare
- Extra styles that aren't linked to the main cast, like SC3 had with all the side characters

More important ones are underlined, but all of these would make me a happy camper.
Preety much got most of this covered in the video but agreed lol

-Return to old cooler art style for the standard game
-allow me to to make online room where CaS are not allowed if i want so
-Right/left arm and leg as separate parts
-ALL official 1p-2p pieces avaible

That's it for me

Cool but I have to ask, what do you mean about "cooler art style". Do you mean like how the graphics/overall theme looked in SC3 before they entered the next gen.

Because personally, even though I can admit that SCIV & V have beautiful graphics, I did like the more simpler style used in the earlier games, namely 2 & 3 when the characters didn't look as heavily anime as they do now.

I don't think guest character styles are available because of licensing issues it would have.

Back