Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we still talking about the roster? Okubo said in one of the interviews, I forgot which one, that the character list will be a 'complete' roster/collection/experience, I can't remember the exact wording but he definitely said 'complete'. To me that means no cut-characters, or at least no cut popular characters, to which I infer means maybe a few of the characters at the bottom of the population poll will be ignored.

Okubo has been good to us so far, so some of the reactions over a screen with little white circles on a yellow background that isn't even symmetrical in a demo of a 70% finished game seem to be a little much.
You do remember how fucked up the roster was in SC5, right? People have a reason to be cautious about this. Also, we cannot trust the developers when it comes to these types of things, because they're obviously not gonna say "Hey, we cut characters to add them as DLC", they know this will turn people away from the game before its even released. He could have appeared to be good to us, but we cannot simply take everything he says as true, specially if lying would be conveninent for him. I will only calm down about this roster once the game gets released and if it has a good ammount more than 20 characters.

Buuuut it is symetrical ?

No it isn't. There is a large gap at the bottom that at least three other circles could fit in, yet the top circles touch the yellow frame of the larger circle. Also, in all the rows the middle circles are slightly above the outer circles, if it was symmetrical, past the mid way point going down, the middle circles would be lower than the outer ones. Symmetry is up and down as well as left to right :)

I will quote some of my posts from today regarding this topic ^^
I hope RE is unsafe on block. The way it acts I feel like you should be punish a bit more harshly for just throwing it out and failing.
What I'm seeing in the videos, after blocking a RE it doesn't look like they can do much back, but I can't tell if the player or the A.I doesn't know you can punish it, or can't punish at all.

You do remember how fucked up the roster was in SC5, right? People have a reason to be cautious about this. Also, we cannot trust the developers when it comes to these types of things, because they're obviously not gonna say "Hey, we cut characters to add them as DLC", they know this will turn people away from the game before its even released. He could have appeared to be good to us, but we cannot simply take everything he says as true, specially if lying would be conveninent for him. I will only calm down about this roster once the game gets released and if it has a good ammount more than 20 characters.

I'm not tryna invalidate anyone's opinions, I really respect the caution you have. My point was just the debate was going in circles and was wearing me out reading the same thing over and over, and I thought perhaps changing the subject is a good idea.

(Get well soon !!!)

Thank u aw you're a sweetheart.

I hope RE is unsafe on block. The way it acts I feel like you should be punish a bit more harshly for just throwing it out and failing.
What I'm seeing in the videos, after blocking a RE it doesn't look like they can do much back, but I can't tell if the player or the A.I doesn't know you can punish it, or can't punish at all.

For balance purposes I don't think RE is unsafe on block right now, and I doubt it will be because they're all vertical attacks and have slow startups so they're extremely punishable by sidestepping.

For balance purposes I don't think RE is unsafe on block right now, and I doubt it will be because they're all vertical attacks and have slow startups so they're extremely punishable by sidestepping.
I guess that's fair. You can fully sidestep them right? Like they're not tracking verticals or something.

Reactions: Ave
I guess that's fair. You can fully sidestep them right? Like they're not tracking verticals or something.

Not from what I've seen. Several times Sophie and Mitsurugi have sidestepped completely to the rear of the opponent using RE before they recovered, just with weak/non-existing punishments because apparently none of the journalists at Paris can play Soulcalibur lol

The attack of the RA is slow on start up, but the Block effect comes instantly and can be even used to defend against everything if you enemy counters you with GI

Reactions: Ave
The attack of the RA is slow on start up, but the Block effect comes instantly and can be even used to defend against everything if you enemy counters you with GI

True. The timing has to be right though for it to block attacks, just like GI it only works momentarily I think. I wonder if you can block an RE with an RE

No it isn't. There is a large gap at the bottom that at least three other circles could fit in, yet the top circles touch the yellow frame of the larger circle. Also, in all the rows the middle circles are slightly above the outer circles, if it was symmetrical, past the mid way point going down, the middle circles would be lower than the outer ones. Symmetry is up and down as well as left to right :)
Ok - i got your perspective ^^
I already trashed the horizontal symetry, because i already saw, that a horizontal symetry wouldn't fit at all, (also the timer symbol blocks the lower places )
I actually thought of a vertical symetry but this isn't the case either like i marked in this pic (PAINT SKILLz= meep :D )
meep.png

this-is-only-a-pun-guys-don-amp-039-t-take-it-too-seriously_o_6297117.jpg

If you actually knew something about history,

Oh, you did not just go there. I'm a bloody history buff.

you should know that the RotTK characters are either repulsive real-life villains

By whose standards do we judge? Cao Cao did some terrible things, but he also created a more meritocratic and fairer justice system for the land. A lot of this just comes down to them living in another age. Most historical people of great importance did both terrible and good things.

Also, Zhao Yun and Guan Yu were historically good guys if you don't count the fact that they were warriors who killed for their lord. And if that makes them "real-life villains"- what does that make most of the Soul Calibur cast?

or fictional, after all, its a romance which somehow turns the most repulsive characters into heroic figures.

While I don't disagree that the historical Liu Bei was a jackass, it has nothing to do with the point.

So, yes, random ancient saying. I don't give a fuck who said that, its definitely not something a virtuous person would say, its sexist and even inhuman towards wives.

It was literally a statement invented by the author living in the 14th century, to make Liu Bei seem more virtuous. so the statement is actually from a time period close to SCs own, rather than ancient- and to add to that, partly propaganda for the Ming Empire; you know, the very place Xianghua comes from in canon. So it reflected that time rather than any ancient time.

The point is still that sworn brothers were more treasured than wives or lovers(or even your own children) during the actual era of SC. I don't disagree that it's sexist. Kyam going from sworn brother to lover is a downgrade plotwise, because avenging a sworn brother fits the era better by far(and it also lets us get away from the more western view that romantic love trumps all other love, even familial one). We already have an avenger of love- Setsuka.

True. The timing has to be right though for it to block attacks, just like GI it only works momentarily I think. I wonder if you can block an RE with an RE
That would be funny xDD but i don't think so ^^.... o.o ... maybe....

. We already have an avenger of love- Setsuka.

Taki is avenger of the love for her master.
Sophitia is an avenger of the love for her children.
Siegfried is an avenger of the love for his father.
Hilde is an avenger of the love for her father and kingdom.
Yoshimitsu is an avenger of the love for his clan.
Algol is an avenger of the love for his son.
Patroklos is an avenger of the love for his sister.
Setsuka is an avenger of the love for her master.
Raphael is an avenger of the love for his adopted daughter
Maxi is an avenger of the love for his pirate company.

We have lots of avengers for love but to my knowledge none of them are avengers of romantic love. Why not change Maxi's motivation to romantic love? His initial one is pretty similar to Yoshi's anyway, albeit less convincing.

Oh, you did not just go there. I'm a bloody history buff.

By whose standards do we judge? Cao Cao did some terrible things, but he also created a more meritocratic and fairer justice system for the land. A lot of this just comes down to them living in another age. Most historical people of great importance did both terrible and good things.

Also, Zhao Yun and Guan Yu were historically good guys if you don't count the fact that they were warriors who killed for their lord. And if that makes them "real-life villains"- what does that make most of the Soul Calibur cast?

While I don't disagree that the historical Liu Bei was a jackass, it has nothing to do with the point.

It was literally a statement invented by the author living in the 14th century, to make Liu Bei seem more virtuous. so the statement is actually from a time period close to SCs own, rather than ancient- and to add to that, partly propaganda for the Ming Empire; you know, the very place Xianghua comes from in canon. So it reflected that time rather than any ancient time.

The point is still that sworn brothers were more treasured than wives or lovers(or even your own children) during the actual era of SC. I don't disagree that it's sexist. Kyam going from sworn brother to lover is a downgrade plotwise, because avenging a sworn brother fits the era better by far(and it also lets us get away from the more western view that romantic love trumps all other love, even familial one). We already have an avenger of love- Setsuka.
I'm sorry, I just cannot take people like you seriously. Are you actually trying to defend Cao Cao of all people? "Oh, he created justice", at which costs? What the actual hell? Also, since when is "being a warrior that killed for their lord" is a good thing? At best it shows they were loyal, but that does not answer for everything else they did in life. Also, RotTK is close to Soul Calibur? RotTK happens in 169-280, while Soul Calibur is 1586, so, yes, its about 1300 years close, extremely close obviously. You must be fucking joking.

And I must add to you, that a male lover is most certainly not the same thing as a wife. Remember, not all wives were married out of love (most were not, actually, historians remind us of the ones which were, because those were rare cases), which led to stupid sexist phrases like the one you claim to be so virtuous. Male lovers were not even something acceptable in many cultures, and even when it happened, it was quite limited in most of the exceptions. So yes, its essentially a forbidden love that most people go against, yet he wanted to defend it from the world itself.

Last edited:
I already trashed the horizontal symetry, because i already saw, that a horizontal symetry wouldn't fit at all, (also the timer symbol blocks the lower places )
I actually thought of a vertical symetry but this isn't the case either like i marked in this pic (PAINT SKILLz= meep :D )View attachment 47711

I see now what you meant. All the other Soulcalibur character select screens have been symmetrical both ways to my knowledge, so this looks a little odd to me. Imo it should be more like a honeycomb.

I actually thought of a vertical symetry but this isn't the case either like i marked in this pic (PAINT SKILLz= meep :D )View attachment 47711

Yeah I think this could be an actual correct selection screen with these hidden slots.
It reminds me the character select of Super Smash Bros, that used the same thing : few slots appearing at the beginning, and then, slots that unlocks everywhere.
Namco is also related with the Smash Bros series, maybe Project Soul were inspired by some of the Smash's feature and more.

26 characters seems nice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back