Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taki's master was alive for most of the series and she was trying to cure him. She also never went after any character- or even Soul Edge for revenge, but to remove the threat it posed.

A person doesn't have to be dead for another to want to seek vengeance. She first went after Soul Edge to remove the effects it had on Toki, secondly to stop Rekki-Maru acting strangely. How is she not an avenger when her main goal was to destroy Soul Edge for corrupting Toki?

Are her children dead? Is she trying to take revenge for harm done to them? No. She's out to protect them. She's not an avenger.

Again it doesn't matter they're alive. Pyrrha was going to die if Sophitia didn't set off on her quest. Vengeance is retribution exacted for an injury or a wrong, so I don't really see how she isn't avenging Pyrrha considering she sacrificed her own life to transplant the Soul Edge shard inside of herself into Pyrrha so she would live.

Actually correct, even if Siegfried is a complete loon.

I don't see how you agree Siegfried is an avenger but not the others. Siegfried's 'vengeance' is misguided, he murdered his own father, then convinced himself that it was someone else. Even though he sought the wielder of Soul Edge to avenge his father, it wasn't Soul Edge that killed him, so he would never be able to avenge him.

Hilde is out to stop Soul edge to save her kingdom, not to avenge it.

She literally vowed to restore her homeland at all costs. By definition of vengeance, that makes her an avenger.

Algol's goals have nothing to do with his son. He's a conqueror and is out for conquest.

Uh, in SCV yes. But he first wielded Soul Edge to create peace across many different lands, not to conquer them. He created Soulcalibur in order to counteract the evil ways of Soul Edge because of what it did to his son. Bam, avenger.

Raphael is not out to take revenge on anything, just to change the world.

For Amy. He wanted to change the world because his own actions led to her becoming infected with the Evil Seed, so he wanted to right that wrong to allow her a meaningful future. Avenger.

And his sworn brother. He's the only one with a brother to avenge.
His is just as convincing due to the sworn brother(and again, sworn brother is actually more convincing than the lover suggestion due to the time period).

It's already been said a few times that Maxi's motivations for seeking revenge on Astaroth are weak. But you can have your opinion that it's a convincing plot point, I don't really care. It's boring to me. Best friends that call each other bros is more convincing than same-sex male lovers in a time when in many places, culturally, it was forbidden? I don't think so. Try again.

Last edited:
So this is incredibly minor, but I really like that little effect of a trail of feathers following Sophitia when she does her Angel Step. It's a cute little detail. I wonder if other characters will have similar effects.
Yeah, I also like what they did with critical edge. If you end a round with a CE the character has a special outro right after their CE KO's the opponent.

I'm currently in a one sided relationship with a full on Talim stan, I will not Jodie Foster this kind of behavior
Talim is BAE but that's okay we can either both Stan Talim together or we can fight about our favs every day. Talim is literally THAT bitch. Sis did that.

Question for everyone that is off topic by a wide margin:
When can we expect, other than the nintendo direct, new possible information that is upcoming. Depending when the game releases I am thinking of only events that happen in the summer, EVO and E3. But what else?

Reactions: Ave
Something I haven't seen anyone mention, the Wings of Faith remix is really great! Does anyone recognize the ice stage theme, or is that one new? Also, I'm really loving the character select theme.

Last edited:
Has no one mentioned the return of ringout quotes?
"FIGHT PROPERLY!!"
"WHAT'S HAPPENING!?"

Love that they're back, don't like Sophitia's though. What the hell does she think is happening?

So this is incredibly minor, but I really like that little effect of a trail of feathers following Sophitia when she does her Angel Step. It's a cute little detail. I wonder if other characters will have similar effects.

That's really cool I hadn't noticed that. I wonder if Ivy might get something thorn-like with certain moves.

Just noticed that if you win the round with a CE you get a win quote seamlessly tied to it. That's really neat.

Also, the name of Sophitia's stage has a colon after it to show that it's a particular location within the shrine. That could mean that there is a another stage in a different part of Eurydice's Shrine. Which hopefully means Cassandra's stage

Last edited:
Listening to gameplay more, I do like Sophie's new VA, but I definitely miss the old one :(
I thought I knew who it was, but now I'm not 100% sure. My first thought was Kate Higgins (Sakura from Naruto, Tina in DOA5) and I still think she kinda sounds like her, but at certain points she doesn't. But yeah I kinda miss her previous VA a bit too.
Mitsurugi also sounds kinda different but I'm not sure if he's being voiced by someone else.

A person doesn't have to be dead for another to want to seek vengeance.
She first went after Soul Edge to remove the effects it had on Toki, secondly to stop Rekki-Maru acting strangely. How is she not an avenger when her main goal was to destroy Soul Edge for corrupting Toki?

...Except she didn't seek vengeance. She was seeking to cure Toki. Even after that her intents was to destroy Soul Edge for the safety of herself and others. Her goal was never retribution or punishment.

Again it doesn't matter they're alive. Pyrrha was going to die if Sophitia didn't set off on her quest. Vengeance is retribution exacted for an injury or a wrong,
so I don't really see how she isn't avenging Pyrrha considering she sacrificed her own life to transplant the Soul Edge shard inside of herself into Pyrrha so she would live.

You seem to have missed the part about retribution or punishment in order to right a wrong. Or was she seeking vengeance on herself for failing as a mother? Just righting a wrong is not vengenace.

I don't see how you agree Siegfried is an avenger but not the others. Siegfried's 'vengeance' is misguided, he murdered his own father, then convinced himself that it was someone else. Even though he sought the wielder of Soul Edge to avenge his father, it wasn't Soul Edge that killed him, so he would never be able to avenge him.

Because Siegfried's goal was directly to exact vengeance(as in, dispense retribution or punishment) upon his father's killer. Being misguided doesn't change the fact that this is what his goal was.

She literally vowed to restore her homeland at all costs. By definition of vengeance, that makes her an avenger.

...No? That's not retribution nor punishment.

Uh, in SCV yes. But he first wielded Soul Edge to create peace across many different lands, not to conquer them. He created Soulcalibur in order to counteract the evil ways of Soul Edge because of what it did to his son. Bam, avenger.

Algol can technically be called an avenger(assuming we accept the supposition that he created Soul Calibur as an act of revenge and not to protect others from Soul Edge). The problem? He already exacted his vengeance thousands of years before the plot. For the intents and purposes of the actual plot? He's not an avenger because he is not trying to avenge anyone any longer.

For Amy. He wanted to change the world because his own actions led to her becoming infected with the Evil Seed, so he wanted to right that wrong to allow her a meaningful future. Avenger.

...No. That's not how vengeance works. There's no retribution involved here. Unless you are suggesting he wants to exact vengeance on himself?

It's already been said a few times that Maxi's motivations for seeking revenge on Astaroth are weak.
But you can have your opinion that it's a convincing plot point, I don't really care. It's boring to me.

And it's blatantly false if you know history. Sworn brotherhood was an important thing both in Asia and certain parts of Europe.
Saying it's a weak reason for seeking revenge is like saying Cassandra wanting to avenge Sophitia if she was killed is a weak reason. Is it?

Best friends that call each other bros

That's not remotely what Sworn Brothers are. It was considered a bond stronger than that of actual brothers by blood.

is more convincing than same-sex male lovers in a time when in many places, culturally, it was forbidden?

Couldn't find any specifics on Ryukyu but:
A) In Japan at this time, same-sex sexual intercourse was expected between Samurai- no matter their sexuality. Read up on Shudo.
B) Homosexuality in China has been documented in China since ancient times. According to one study, homosexuality was regarded as a normal facet of life in China, prior to the Western impact of 1840 onwards.

Being gay in Japan or China wasn't exactly forbidden in Maxi's day.

I don't think so.
Try again.

No, you try actually thinking about what sworn brothers are, instead of assuming it's just "Bros".

They are not just "Best Friends that call each other bros"- they are considered closer than actual family members.
That's a ton stronger than a mere lover- since a simple crush can be a lover, but you swear brotherhood for life. A lover is not the same thing as significant other or life partner.

Okaaayy .. aha so I'll try my best , so here we go :

"We have to keep in mind that SC6's development is far from being done and that the team in charge of it's gestation - leaded by director Yoshiyuki Takahashi and producer Motohiro Okubo -still working on Tekken 7- still keeps surprises. The number of playable characters (the number of empty slots around Mitsurugi and Sophitia wasn't representative according Bandai Namco), character creation's possibilities and customization, the story mode or online options are still in construction until next order".

That's the first time I've heard of the director for the game. I can't find anything meaningful on mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?q=Yoshiyuki+Takahashi - There are a lot of developers with that name, and none of them have worked for Namco. Looks like they gave completely new guys the chance to lead SC6 development.

And hearing the line about about the character roster is hopeful, though I doubt an artist chose an arbitrary number when designing that UI.

Again, I posted earlier that I heard the 20 character thing is not set in stone and is definitely going to be the launch roster number.
Did you miss a "not" in there? That sentence looks like a contradiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back