SS & CS/iCS Info

I think it's also weird. When i started out with ivy in my earler stages, every time i did iCS and time the last part it was never coming out on dpad. Something is defentally wrong with the dpad, you have to do it VERYYYYYY FASTTTTT (break your thumbs) inorder for iCS to come out. But on analog you don't have to go half as fast for iCS to work. To me there is some issues with the dpad manufactur issues lol ._. If i had to pin-point it i would say the center (5) is not really the center. Reason why sometimes on pad I'm 1000000% sure i press 3 but 2 comes out, etc.......

About the timing issue on 1a+g i will have to disagree on you there. I do feel you have to press it at the same time, but there is a small window they give you regarding on how fast you do the beginning notation 321439.

HAHA bring back memories of myslef lol, don't just try to do them just because you can do them, that will tarnish your game.

I think most if not everyone goes through this faze lol. Believe me a good ivy really do need cs/iCS/ss in their game. You don't need it to win but you definitely want to use it. Why? because it teaches you to read block patterns. IMO that is what it's for! Every time you go into beat down mode watch your opponent and remember what moves you did to make him not attack. meaning he was waiting for your attack to block it. Those situation = command throw. example? Sword FC 3b on hit > WRk as an interrupt> opponent will 90% block or step which cs/ics will catch them... This is just one basic example, ivy has tons!!!

The ps3 dpad is horrible for doing CS in general. I think people are just more used to it. The 360 dpad is alot easier on your thumb.

yeah xBox iCS is easy on their analog...PS3 takes a LOT of practice to be consistent...and generally your bouncing back and forth between dpad and analog to do it making it very unfriendly to pull it out quick.

but Ps3 is infinitely better for everything else though

im still having slight trouble with this thing. even if i go fast i still bounce, or crouch. and how do i hit 9 without jumping? some people drive me crazy when they do it with no block, movement or anything and get iCS. im on stick so am i just going to always suck at it and have it ducked? as soon as i start, it gets ducked and usually i am trying to do the motion for the throw so i cant even shift into doing another move that well...

i just suck and need practice..thats all.

do SS before you learn CS. SS has a much more lenient time frame to input. roll 1236 and you can even run for a a bit and then slam 173B+G. Get faster...then go to CS...though do not attempt the stall inbetween like you can with SS.

I favor sides when it comes to these, I do CS on the P1 side and SS on the P2 side. I have no idea why I do it, I can roll out the inputs for each on opposite sides, it just doesn't feel as right and not as fluent.

Anyway, I've had an off day with Ivy today, well I've had an off day as an all around player. I might pick back up on her tomorrow.

This is some good shit. SO much more easier to do and fun to fool people with.

I favor sides when it comes to these, I do CS on the P1 side and SS on the P2 side. I have no idea why I do it, I can roll out the inputs for each on opposite sides, it just doesn't feel as right and not as fluent.

lol...i know how it is. 1p side i used to get into SW and 2p side get into whip.

I switched to the analog stick to attempt the throws and side no longer matters.

I'm finally adapted tomy TE stick. Thus far my main strategy is ALMOSt as good as my pad, but still some muscle memory needing to be brought back in. I fuck up WP 6bA+B, CL a+bA+K (not the string, just the first swing that shifts into whip so you can WS BB+K, 236BB).

However CS and SS are WAAAAAAAAAAY easier on a stick. The square gate of the two SF4 sticks comes in extremely handy for the input. I land CS (mid combo!!!) 95% of the time on P2 side and 75% on P1...most of which are iCS. SS is 95% on both sides. Having a that reliability with a stick, I'm open to new combos that I would NEVER attempt on pad. one's that would result in a normal throw missing due to range, EXAMPLE: WP 4A+B, SS. Great mix up...if you throw 4A+B, B+G your in deep shit though.

so from what i keep reading i notice that i need to learn to perform these throws while im in block stun. now with that being said i do play stick and everyone ALWAYS DUCKS due to the fact that they can hear me. to do it fast there is no way to really be quiet. so if i am doing this correctly will the throw still come out after blockstun and they not be able to duck it? or is it just a matter of i will have to play pad because with someone sitting next to me i dont see how this really works. i can perform this throw but due to the fact it always gets ducked i dont use it. i see everyone else using it. i use plenty of mids to keep people standing as well.

I do use SW 1K a lot and frequently hit people on counter with it. if i learn to do the throw correctly will i not move at all and the move keep them from being able to duck? even if i go for the motion and try to mixup a mid or something they still stand in time.

and i keep hearing people tell me that you dont have to do the whole notation. im not sure exactly what they mean because nobody i know plays ivy and can really explain this to me. they say its something similar to how you can buffer asta's JF throws.

this is probably the main tool holding me back from going to the next level. i know its not required but then we all go tell the person not using it that they need to use it. so i need sum help.

You need to be able to buffer it in during high pressure situations... best term I could think for it. Like when they think you couldn't have possibly buffered it in, you bring it out anyway.

It's hard to describe, so watch Link's videos and look for when he pulls out CS/SS.

And the notation that I use for CS is 32123691A+G. That's the shortest notation I know that works.

What set ups do you use for CS and SS?

For CS:

SW 6, CS
SW FC 3B CS
CL A+B~B+K, CS
SW blockstun, CS

For SS:
WP full run (input 1236 and hold 6), SS
WP 4A+B, SS

I really need better SS set ups, the only really successful way is with the full run, the 4A+B set up only works on people waiting to GI...so it's useless on scrubs.

I've been experimenting with WP 4A--> SS
WP 4A has decent range and +4 frames on hit
most people tend to block right after because it makes them turn sideways

What set ups do you use for CS and SS?

For CS:

SW 6, CS
SW FC 3B CS
CL A+B~B+K, CS
SW blockstun, CS

For SS:
WP full run (input 1236 and hold 6), SS
WP 4A+B, SS

I really need better SS set ups, the only really successful way is with the full run, the 4A+B set up only works on people waiting to GI...so it's useless on scrubs.

often try to use these exact set ups that you listed but the problem is THE SECOND I START TO BUFFER, THEY DUCK. then buffer with a pause to try another move they can also tell that since its very easy and obvious to see and then they stand and block..i can go low everyonce in a while.

often try to use these exact set ups that you listed but the problem is THE SECOND I START TO BUFFER, THEY DUCK. then buffer with a pause to try another move they can also tell that since its very easy and obvious to see and then they stand and block..i can go low everyonce in a while.

Then your buffering wrong, they shouldnt see you move at all if you do a perfect buffer.

Anyway my list.

SW.
1K CS,
6B9k CS (Has to be JF for it to reach)
CH 2k CS
CH 2A CS
FC 3B CS
AA CS
B CS
214k on grounded opp. CS (If they get up in fear of another 214K, or 3B

Coil
WR A CS/SS
6 A+B CS/SS
236BB as combo ender JF CS to reach if they tech right away
A+B - CS
Block Stun CS/SS

Whip
I try to stay out of grab range in this stance so i dunno

Grabs
CS~ SS or Another CS If they stand right away
B+G CS/SS If they stand up right away

All stances
WR K -CS/SS
Taunt CC/SS buffer for giggles
SS- CS/SS
Jump CS/ SS - If your punishing a low
GI- CS/SS

I need to learn better CL transitions. Tempted to try CL 6A,K,iCS as most people try to shake and block standing. How long is the stun if they don't shake?

Also whats the exact method for blockstun CL CS? is it:

Block, hold B+K, buffer directions, release B+K, then end with 1A+G?

Also what are the differences with iCS and CS? longer range, more damage, time to escape, etc...

Then your buffering wrong, they shouldnt see you move at all if you do a perfect buffer.

thanks a lot for the info but how exactly with a move that has so many movements and requires me to completely move my stick around so many direections how is that possible? ive tried to just hit the throw fast. it never really works. does better when i go slow. i know im hitting the directions and all with the help of a input trainer. can you go really really slow or something and make it look natural because ive now played over 20 or 30 people and all of them say that they can see and hear the stick move for the throw.

if im across the room and far behind them they still say they can hear it. and if they arent supposed to be able to see or hear it how can i do it slow enough not to jump all over the screen? just confused. it hasnt really been explained yet. i got the notation(or probably not) i just dont get the speed and how to buffer. i guess coming from tekken, it will take me a while to get used to this "buffer window"

Back