Voldo Q&A / General Discussion

Also, I don't know how legit you feel this setup is:

MC 66, MC B+K , Landfish (I think this might be the safest way to go into Landfish) .... mixup on knockdown.

Can A/[A] to tech trap or B for the mixup.

this would work but people can easily air control after B+K to get behind you

What is Treasure lift (1B) guaranteed after?

I think you can get it after 666B and I thought 66B BE but I'm sure I played someone who rolled out of it's range recently.

Are there any other setups to guarantee it? When it leaves the opponent standing backwards with you at +10 I really think this is a great setup to keep the pressure on. I usually follow with 1A or 3A in anticipation of a step, 4B A A or a throw.

I think you can get it after 666B and I thought 66B BE but I'm sure I played someone who rolled out of it's range recently.

Are there any other setups to guarantee it? When it leaves the opponent standing backwards with you at +10 I really think this is a great setup to keep the pressure on. I usually follow with 1A or 3A in anticipation of a step, 4B A A or a throw.
1K thats about it

there may be more but it would have to be a crumple stun move and i tried all the ones i know and didnt see anything

What are the uses for A+K? The 'invincibility' isn't a huge duration and I usually get hit by a 2 hit string. It seems like a good way to go into Land fish quickly but other than that it seems like it gets you blown up.

Also BT B+K..... does this only parry verticals? Because I haven't successfully parried a horizontal yet and I'm pretty sure I timed it right most times. He can't parry lows in this stance or with this move either right?

A+K is best used for stance evades to the back left and right neutral A+K (super freak) is ass.

the auto GI impacts all mids that arent kicks or stabs. so yeah if they do a poking attack a high or a kick then it wont GI anything

Hi everyone ! I've being playing a lot of Voldo on SC5 and he might become my main, but he is still a strong secondary at the moment.

I've been wondering, what would be the best mid killing step move at close range to interrupt character stepping with tech crouch. I've been using 2A at the moment, but it is really unsafe and it doesn't give any frame advantage, so is there any better option ?

Also on the glitch side, I did get the super armor instant kill in an important match against Astaroth 66[K], too bad I didn't post before...
Anyhow, I found something else last night, I did a 22K and I ended up on the other side of Ivy which was outside of the ring... I know Voldo is supposed to move a bit during this move, but it's the first time I saw him landing on the other side of the character... I would recommend not using this move near the edges of a ring just in case, I will need to investigate a bit more on this move. Or maybe it's just the move being glitchy because it is near the ring edge, so Voldo touched the ring edge with the move and it ended weird... Ivy blocked the move btw... Feel free to investigate a bit, it might also be just a one off issue, who knows...

Hi everyone ! I've being playing a lot of Voldo on SC5 and he might become my main, but he is still a strong secondary at the moment.

I've been wondering, what would be the best mid killing step move at close range to interrupt character stepping with tech crouch. I've been using 2A at the moment, but it is really unsafe and it doesn't give any frame advantage, so is there any better option ?

Also on the glitch side, I did get the super armor instant kill in an important match against Astaroth 66[K], too bad I didn't post before...
Anyhow, I found something else last night, I did a 22K and I ended up on the other side of Ivy which was outside of the ring... I know Voldo is supposed to move a bit during this move, but it's the first time I saw him landing on the other side of the character... I would recommend not using this move near the edges of a ring just in case, I will need to investigate a bit more on this move. Or maybe it's just the move being glitchy because it is near the ring edge, so Voldo touched the ring edge with the move and it ended weird... Ivy blocked the move btw... Feel free to investigate a bit, it might also be just a one off issue, who knows...

You are looking for either 3A or 22A as a step killer up close. if you land either of these you have enough advantage for a throw mixup attempt.

i wouldnt use 22K at all really, there are so many better options at midrange

I'm not really using 22K really often, I just throw it out there to get a ring out... As for 3A, I already try that one, but it's bit slow and unsafe though the stun make it worth it... I might still use 2A for now... As for 22A, I probably need to use it more often !

As I understand it, 1B] doesn't need to be guaranteed to be useful, since it will probably catch anyone who doesn't tech after most combos. After landing it once or twice and hitting your opponent with a throw mixup, they'll be inclined to tech the next time they hit the ground, at which point you throw out a tech trap like 666B or 44A+B.

As I understand it, 1B] doesn't need to be guaranteed to be useful, since it will probably catch anyone who doesn't tech after most combos. After landing it once or twice and hitting your opponent with a throw mixup, they'll be inclined to tech the next time they hit the ground, at which point you throw out a tech trap like 666B or 44A+B.

Would you consider it advantageous to put them in this position with 1B]?

I'm still transitioning from MK9 where a reset that puts you + on block is mostly better than grounding the opponent for your oki game.

Is it a better idea to reset them like this or keep them down? I understand part of the answer is situational to your opponent's habits.

For me I think it is better to keep knocking them down. Wakeup is so powerful in this game that you want to take as much damage as you can as they try to get up, and keeping them in knockdown lets you mess with their heads. In a lot of cases, wakeup turns into a guessing game and a few wrong guesses can get you killed here.

For me I think it is better to keep knocking them down. Wakeup is so powerful in this game that you want to take as much damage as you can as they try to get up, and keeping them in knockdown lets you mess with their heads. In a lot of cases, wakeup turns into a guessing game and a few wrong guesses can get you killed here.

yea thats what all mixups characters are supposed to do Kappa

I've been using 2A at the moment, but it is really unsafe and it doesn't give any frame advantage
wut

Anyways Kaba pretty much covered it. 22A is your safe, TCing, mid stepkiller, but it's a bit on the slow side. Mostly used for space control rather than up close antistep. At that range you should be doing throw/mid mixups.

He can also kill step with 3A, but the stun doesn't guarantee anything and it's -16 on block.

Just for shits and giggles, there's 44A+B. Slow and unsafe, but kills any form of step, does huge damage, and a lot of people who are unfamiliar with fighting the character will fuck up their punish and stop blocking too early. Plus it just looks so damn cool.

In blindstance, 4A is an amazing stepkill (safe, +10 on hit). BS iWR A is even better due to its absurd damage on CH. BS 2A+B catches some step but the tracking is pretty weak and it's extremely unsafe.

But yeah, one of the key aspects for controlling step as Voldo is to remember that throws track extremely well and are another tool in his mixup arsenal for getting into your opponent's head and making them do dumb stuff.

wut

Anyways Kaba pretty much covered it. 22A is your safe, TCing, mid stepkiller, but it's a bit on the slow side. Mostly used for space control rather than up close antistep. At that range you should be doing throw/mid mixups.

He can also kill step with 3A, but the stun doesn't guarantee anything and it's -16 on block.

Just for shits and giggles, there's 44A+B. Slow and unsafe, but kills any form of step, does huge damage, and a lot of people who are unfamiliar with fighting the character will fuck up their punish and stop blocking too early. Plus it just looks so damn cool.

In blindstance, 4A is an amazing stepkill (safe, +10 on hit). BS iWR A is even better due to its absurd damage on CH. BS 2A+B catches some step but the tracking is pretty weak and it's extremely unsafe.

But yeah, one of the key aspects for controlling step as Voldo is to remember that throws track extremely well and are another tool in his mixup arsenal for getting into your opponent's head and making them do dumb stuff.

Thanks for all the answer guys ! My main problem was me using mainly 2A as a step killer and interrupt, so some players started to jump to avoid that... I've been trying to mix it up a bit and seems to work so far. I just have to get use all these step killers. I have been already using 44A+B at mid/long range since it catches stepping pretty easily.

Overall, I just think I'll be using 3A a bit more at close range so I can reset the situation.

Back