A Quick Study of All Characters

Rather than try sorting everything as "best this" and "worst that," why not just make some general statements about how characters are best employed so people can get a sense of them?

Examples:
Sophitia is a fast, primarily punishment-based character.
Astaroth is a slow, long-ranged character who relies on grabs and devastating (though usually quite unsafe) mixups.
Mitsurugi is a ridiculous mid-range 50/50 machine.
etc

Rather than try sorting everything as "best this" and "worst that," why not just make some general statements about how characters are best employed so people can get a sense of them?

Examples:
Sophitia is a fast, primarily punishment-based character.
Astaroth is a slow, long-ranged character who relies on grabs and devastating (though usually quite unsafe) mixups.
Mitsurugi is a ridiculous mid-range 50/50 machine.
etc

Because there's no real difference except that, instead of simply talking about a particular character's potential, we'd be pidgeonholing each character into the way they're "supposed" to be used. If someone wants to turtle with Mitsu, and they're winning, who are we to say they shouldn't?

I think we need an definition on where short/mid/long-range are.

This will be a bit redundant (since range is mostly "understood"), but I'll take a crack at it:

-Close range defines a range in which most attacks will connect, including throws and the AA of characters like Taki or Talim.

-Mid range defines a range in which most AAs will whiff (aside from characters like Kilik or Asta), but a character is only one or two steps away from being back in close range.

-Long range defines the range at which only the farthest-reaching attacks will connect. Furthermore, your character is often able to go into a full run before they reenter close range.

This will be a bit redundant (since range is mostly "understood"), but I'll take a crack at it:

-Close range defines a range in which most attacks will connect, including throws and the AA of characters like Taki or Talim.

-Mid range defines a range in which most AAs will whiff (aside from characters like Kilik or Asta), but a character is only one or two steps away from being back in close range.

-Long range defines the range at which only the farthest-reaching attacks will connect. Furthermore, your character is often able to go into a full run before they reenter close range.

That is a pretty unclear definition, especially the long range one.
It makes a lot og moves fall into an uncertain category. For example, is the tip range of Kiliks 6B long or mid range?

My defninition would be something like:
Short range: Point blank out to Yun BB tip range
Mid range: Mitsu BB tip range out to Kilik BB tip range
Long range: Anything with longer range

If we are to define the best short/mid/long range characters, its important to have a clear definition on the ranges.

That is a pretty unclear definition, especially the long range one.
It makes a lot og moves fall into an uncertain category. For example, is the tip range of Kiliks 6B long or mid range?

My defninition would be something like:
Short range: Point blank out to Yun BB tip range
Mid range: Mitsu BB tip range out to Kilik BB tip range
Long range: Anything with longer range

If we are to define the best short/mid/long range characters, its important to have a clear definition on the ranges.

Whatever works, I guess.

After playing with Vader for about a week now, I'm starting to think he's got one of the top 3 RO games.

It occurred to me that hilde is an unholy union of ivy, cass, and siegfried- With a dash of link in the spirit of ringouts.

Wassap yall.

Xianghua will fit in jack-of-all-trades, since she has something for every situation, but doesn't really excel in anything, besides her mix-up game (especially with stances). Which is why she is such a good character--you have to know what you're doing to actually win (*cough*MitsuSophieAstaCerv*cough*.....excuse me).

I definately agree with Sets' placing

I think Hilde is a quite versatile character but for her to function you have to know your goals in a particular situation and execute it. Experienced players can really bring out the best in this character.

I always tell this to my fellow players, if you've been hit by the full scale C3B combo you deserve it for being baited and not actively thinking that the Hilde is ready to whiff punish.

Nightmare on the other hand shines most for oki. His oki game really is his real strength or if he's in decent advantage or conditioned the opponent to become defensive he shines with his powerful grim stride mixups.

That's the thing about NM. Not only does he have strong RO's, but his Oki and wall games are both very strong as well. Unlike a lot of RO characters, he doesn't mind so much if you get the cathedral or the cage level, because honestly when someone hits the wall against NM, they're in for a world of pain... usually with added tech trap. LOL.

nightmare player here

Best wall game

Good Ring Out

Good Throw game

Good Mid Range Game

Best Oki game

Worst Safety

Worst Soul Gauge game (due to his unsafeness)

Very weak at Close range, no super fast mids and too many highs that can be dodged/TCed

On Sieg note, I think he has the best Midrange mixup game

Nightmare's SG game isn't crappy just because he's unsafe. It's crappy because he's unsafe and does jack shit to it with most of his moves anyway. Unless your opponent mostly guards for three rounds and doesn't punish anything (Utilizing Nighty's range can alleviate that, somewhat), it's a non factor.

Back