Aeon Calcos: Advanced Strategies

Vice Hannyabal

[09] Warrior
This thread was opened to bring some life to aeons forum. I will post some strategies I use to be sucessful with aeon against better opponents.

Feel free to criticize or even extent the list with strategies and techniques you use with the cute lizard.

Space - JG/GI - 6b BE/1b BE - Ring Out

This is aeons "master-strategy" in general. If you're able to place your opponent in RO-range (and you all know that his RO-range is HUGE) bring them in very bad situations with at a great frame advantage on your side. The decision between GI and JG depends on some factors: Is the move easy to JG? Are you in 1b BE range after a GI? Do you have enough meter to GI and use a BE/Does the opponent have meter to re-GI or not?

The next choice is between 6b BE or 1b BE. The second one is by far the better choice most of the time but not every move is -18 or worse after JG and it does not RO over walls so 6b BE will be your best friend in some situations.

Last edited:
Poking with 2K

The bad news: 2K is aeons best low. The good one: it gets its job done. Clever use of 2K is vital to aeons gameplan in my oppinion. It is unseeable and not to unsafe on block (except for CE punish by many characters that should be considered if your opponent has the meter). This makes this move useful to get some damage early on in a battle. Your opponent should be conditioned to duck stupidly in front of you to eat some of aeons best attacks like 1b BE or 3B if you like to play it with a bit more risk.

Avoiding Mid/Low-Mixups with GIs

This isn't aeon specific but because aeons options after a GI are really good i think it deserves to be here (if you want to know his best options after a GI i recommend to read slades guide, i won't mention all of them here) because it can really limit your opponents options. Some characters have block strings with either a mid or a low ender. If their impact frames are almost the same you can completely avoid the 50-50 guess with the use of a GI because it will cover both options then. It is worth the meter most of the time, especially if your opponent doesn't have the chance to re-GI or is in RO-range. Even if they are not their only hope is to guess right with a possible re-GI attempt or will be punished heavily.

Kill step - punish whiffs

Everybody knows aeons 66A (you should use 33A whenever possible because it isn't as easy to read as 66A and has better frames on hit and on block!). It is the best anti-step move in the game. But aeons has more very good horizontals to catch step like 6A (excellent range and frames but high), 2A (good range for a 2A), 3A (-14 but solid damage), 3K (safer but less damaging version of 3A) and some other situational moves like 22A or WR A.

Condition your opponents to play a "2D-game" with clever use of this attacks. All you need most of the time is to hit them just a few times with the mentioned moves. After they stop stepping your attacks it is much easier to whiff punish their mistakes with backsteps and sidesteps or just throw them to death with aeons powerful throws. Also it is worth mentioning that after they start blocking attacks like 3B, 22B, B+K or 66A+B their guard will crush soon. Just remember your spacing to score ROs/W! in this case!

The way you posted it can be quite ambiguous, but :6::B: :BE: is not a great post-GI option even for ring-outs, because it lacks the range of other moves that serve the same function, and even some combos that have a similar function that just do more damage. Because of the knockback that Guard Impact and Guard Burst have, in order to land a :6::B: :BE: you will have to step forward, and that can mean the difference between them taking a cliff-dive or staying in the ring. :6::B: :BE: is, however, a valid option after JG if their move is too safe for a :1::B: :BE: punish, but that would have to be a very safe move.

For post-Guard Impact or Guard Burst, remember iWR B or :6::6::3::B: (not :3::3::B:) for the over head launch. Those moves have superior range to :6::B: :BE: and can ring out, as well as get Aeon his bread and butter combos if there is not a ring edge behind you. Also, iWR B combos are meterless compared to :6::B: :BE:.

Basically, :6::B: :BE: is for punishment where his other over head launchers aren't fast enough.

You are absolutely right, Zaden. I should have mentioned that 6b BE is NEVER an option after GI (I'm not sure if it even works... but even then there is always a better option than 6b BE). It is, however, one of aeons best punishers after JG because you won't be pushed back on a sucessful JG so range isn't an issue. If a wall is close behind you it either ring outs (low wall) or comboes into BT B+K + followups (high wall) for massive damage.

His best punishers after GI are very situational and dependent on a lot of things but 1B BE is a godlike move and should be used for punishes (not only on GI/JG) whenever possible because it offers a lot of different followups for almost any kind of situation and does very good damage.

On JG : -15 to -17 : 6B$
anything -18 or worse : 1B$

Exemples on when to use 6B$ instead of 1B$ on JG :

-Patroklos 66B (-17)
-Patroklos 236B$ (-16)
-Pyrrha 66B/66B$ (-17)
-Xiba 6AK$/6BK$ (-15)

Last edited:
On JG : -15 to -17 : 6B$
anything -18 or worse : 1B$

Exemples on when to use 6B$ instead of 1B$ on JG :

-Patroklos 66B (-17)
-Patroklos 236B$ (-16)
-Pyrrha 66B/66B$ (-17)
-Xiba 6AK$/6BK$ (-15)

Thanks for this list. I think Pyrrhas 66B BE is a good example here. This move can force a do-or-die-situation if you are back at the ring edge. If you try to JG it and fail the block completely the followup will ring you out (except the other player fails the combo but that is rather unlikely), but if you are sucessful 6b BE will ring the other player out. It depends on the health situation if it is worth the risk although experienced pyrrha players won't through out this move to often if it's blockable.

Pats 66B is rather interesting. This move is -2 on block i think so you would get 15 frames for a JG which is amazing. But you need to do a very good read to JG this move because it isn't part of a string. If he is running at you he could rather throw you, just stand and block or use some of his anti-step moves. The better strategy against Pat is to just space him out with 6K, 66A, 4K and 6A because the last place you want "justice" is in your face where his mixup game shines. His range is crappy so keeping distance is a lifesaver in this matchup.

Last edited:
1b BE – This move is the shit!

Aeon's 1b BE is one of the best moves in the game, no doubt about that. In small stages where ROs are possible it’s almost an instant win because of its massive RO-range. All you have to do to win is hit your opponent 3 times with it basically. But be aware: This leads to a huge amount of RQs. But that is not all. It offers many different followups so choosing the right one is essential to aeon’s gameplan!

The move itself is i18 and his range isn’t that good so punishing moves with pushback isn’t possible most of the time. It can however punish many unsafe moves without pushback, many moves on JG or whiffs after sidesteps. If it’s possible and other moves without meter would’t finish your opponent off this is the move to use!

It can also be thrown out randomly because it is +2 on block. It can be stepped however so using a few anti-step moves in the match is recommended before throwing 1b BE out. In wall combos it is also possible to connect 1b BE as a “combo-ender” but this works inconsistently and depends on your and your opponent’s position before the wallsplat but you can do over 200 damage this way or even score ROs which looks amazing.

Followups:

The standard ender. Solid damage, ok oki. Nothing special but useful if you can’t ring your opponent out or to end a round.

44BAA
The number one RO-option. The range is very good and the damage is just short of 44K. Another good reason to use it is that it gives you lot of meter. In general it’s the superior choice to 44K except 44K would kill the opponent and 44BAA would not. You can also score wallsplats with this.

4B+K
RO-option if you’re very close to the edge and easier to input than 44BAA. Don’t use this in other situations.

4b+kG
Great RO-range and 90 % of the people aren’t ready for it. The damage is the same as 44BAA but the RO-range is better. But throwing this out can be risky. If you are too close to the edge you’ll lose the round if you use it. Try and learn this in training and you will get far.

44A – SWK
This is essential in one situation: It can RO behind you over low walls but the range is short. In other situations don’t use this but scoring ROs with this is really cool and you are looking like a pro if you manage to do so.

1B+K
The noob-killer. 140 damage if your opponent fails the ukemi. This is no real combo but great for comebacks because it is really hard to avoid and can really frustrate your opponent. It also has a chance of a clean hit for even more damage. Experienced players won’t fail the ukemi most of the time so using the next one is possible to hit them for great damage.

1A – preferred followup (66B is the best choice in general)
Tech traps all. But to connect it has to be delayed a bit. If you hit this move + 66B it does more damage than 44K but if it’s really worth the risk? Your choice!

CE
Aeon's CE isn’t a great move by any means but this combo gives you the most guaranteed damage. Useful if you have the meter to spend or other options are just short to end a round. This is one of the few situations where his CE has a purpose.

7K – 66K
Best meterless damage beside 1B+K but only 7K is guaranteed. 66K connects if your opponent doesn’t air control out so use it to surprise your opponent sometimes.

Aeon's CE isn’t a great move by any means but this combo gives you the most guaranteed damage.
Only the 1st part of Aeon's CE is guarenteed. If they UJG the fire, you're screwed. Never use it outside of ROs or ground hits in combos where it is the most damaging option (after Slide or other similar situations).

Only the 1st part of Aeon's CE is guarenteed. If they UJG the fire, you're screwed. Never use it outside of ROs or ground hits in combos where it is the most damaging option (after Slide or other similar situations).

I am happy with every feedback i get. Aeon's CE is a very strange move and i just don't know what they were thinking when giving him this thing as his "super move". His great BEs are a good compensation for that.

I just thought the list wouldn't be complete without it and i never saw anyone JGing it anyway.

Back