Algol Guide

how is 3AA for a slow post GI mix up?

that actually might work well because 3AA is hit confirmable, I'll check it out. it certainly could work

Crow:
sounds good, I also think Algol vs Cervy is 5-5 matchup. anti lizardman sounds good. I imagine any character without decent ranged low pokes has a tough time with algol because it's so easy for him to stay out of grab range with his backdash.

I'll copy and paste them into the 2nd post.

edit: Astaroth matchup added

they can block the second 2A+B

though as a result, I found out that doing 3A(slight delay)A does a little more damage because second hit will land as crouch hit. this should happen anyway if you are trying to hitconfirm. rather useless info

dude tiamat, for the bubbles section you forgot to add in 22_88 A+B; 4B,A+B; 2A+K,A+B; 3B,41236A+B

i know for two of them the first move has to hit and then for the other one they have to hold guard.
but 22_88 A+B should be on your bubbles guide.

22A+B is so gimmicky that I forgot about it. it's recovery time is amazingly bad. those other bubbles are in canned strings, not really same thing.

I should add something about 22A+B at least anyway though

22A+B is good at long range were you can't really be punished, and works well to force the opponent into stepping into a 4[A+B]....
Depending on the order in which the bubbles hit it gets either safer or horribly unsafe, at long range no worries but be ready to block...
They Tech Step in i10...
88A+B is i22
22A+B is i23

We all know 2 Bubbles are fired...
So here is data for if Both Bubbles Hit/ CH/ Guarded...
G = -30
H = -14
CH = -14

If the first Hits or is Blocked the next one can be stepped...
So if the first bubble hits:
G = -29
H = -29
CH = -29
(Yeah thats right)

If the first whiffs and the last bubble hits home I know it's safish, I haven't done it yet, too buisy, so I'll get to it later...
Thoughts?

Some more matchup thoughts from the last monthly-

Algol v. Apprentice (4:6)
Apprentice might just be a character I've slept on. Force Pull hits me cleanly out of bubble startup AND can hit farther then my max 1B range, so if I try to start doing 1Bs versus his Force Pull's that are meant to kill my bubbles, it whiffs, I'm right in front of him recovering, and usually I eat some minor BB/AA/whatever and now I'm in the worst place Algol can be- in someone's face at disadvantage. As long as Apprentice has force meter and knows his footsies he can really control this match. Algol HAS to score a knockdown and press for oki, get a life lead and run away, do grabs to force him to use meter, whatever it takes to not let Apprentice sit at his optimal range and dictate the match. 236B also hits for full screen, so it's not like getting out of Force Pull range is a end-all solution. Apprentice tech traps significantly out-damage most of Algol's best stuff. It doesn't help any that Apprentice's BB and other basic tools are headaches for a lot of other characters, it's even worse for an Algol that can't step.

Algol v. Hilde (5:5/ 6:4 depending upon stage)
It's going to be a really boring, marathon match of patience. It's probably more likely 4:6 in favor of Hilde without walls/5:5 with walls, since Algol's shitty step means he can't take advantage of the stepability of the charges, but Hilde also has a hell of a time trying to get through bubbles, so I'm not really sure. She's the better character once she gets in (A+B is so stupid, lol) but her susceptibility to DP/Bubbles gives means she's much more likely to get frustrated at random DPs/bubbles that interrupt her doom combo.

Algol v. Mitsu (6:4)
Mitsu doesn't immediately have anything that dominates Algol, but he doesn't get run over, either. B6 is a chore for Algol to deal with if he's trying to set up bubbles- it has a LOT more range then you'd think, it scores the CH combo regardless of whether the bubble hit or not, etc. But 1B usage takes care of that nicely. Mitsu has to get in and dominate Algol at close range, since Algol's shitty step makes dealing with simple stuff like BB/2KB a nightmare.

what does cervy use to force his FC mix-ups after 1K on algol? As far as I know everything at best trades with Algol's 2A... is it iGDR?

I forget. I think 6K actually beats algol's FC A. I found something new though (to me anyway).

FC A+B can catch sideroll vs most characters at a certain range. try 2B+K or 9K hit, then do iFC A+B. if they try to sideroll they are launched. obviously if they ukemi they won't get launched. I tried this from his throws and it doesn't seem to have any merit after them sadly. this is kinda like the 2A+K [A+B] otg rollcatch but different. the nice thing about it is that even if the bubble misses over their body and they stand up, you can still 2A to stuff virtually any wakeup attack. works on mitsu, algol, cervy...probably most chars, doesn't work on amy tho

how useful is this? probably not that useful but it's there

Cervy shouldn't be able to "force" anything on Algol after 1K because DP beats 6K/Grab. Cervy has to either bait the DP or do something slow enough to hit the DP after the GI window.

FC A+B might be slow enough to do that though. It's worth testing!

6K doesn't deal that much and creates a lot of space on CH, I think I'd rather just 2A and eat a possible 6K then backstep rather than have to deal with a power mix-up or worry about DP being baited(maybe it's just me). It was already said that Algol has the advantage at range right? Obviously it would depend on what the opponent was doing , but it doesn't seem that scary, does he have any other options to beat 2A? iTP maybe?

22K beats 2As, so does 4A+K. 22K is safe, Mid and gives good Frames on NH, so its still a mind game, since 22K beats Algols 2A....apart from that of course Cervantes can iTP the 2A as well, which is free 75 Damage...think iTP has active TJ Frames from Frame 7 or something like that. iGDR also has a techjump, but of course thats very high risk there. Algol can punish a blocked iGDR for about 90 Damage...

Tough Matchup for both.

6B+K actually has a lame tech trap off of WS B and 33B... lol
It rarely catches sides, and it's stupid that it can be ground rolled, it would be better if it worked like iFC A+B etc...
At least it's pushback on block is good...

I messed with Algol today...aB apparently beats super TCs like lizardman's crawl stance like I thought. since it is also a body attack this should make it a crucial move against voldo

4A+B/4[A+b] when GIed at close range will make bubbles hit Algol guarnateed but then you will get + frames cause they will recover slower. i think i tested that long time ago and forgot or something

A quick comment on the Apprentice match-up...

If at any point you can catch him in the air (Maybe he thought he was going to land the 3B:8 force jump and you blocked the 3B and he still goes up) -- throw out the good'ol'bubbles and watch his face get red. 4(A+B) into the bubble juggle combos and away you go. This also works well against an Apprentice who's in the habit of jump evading bubbles, especially from the start of the match. There have been many Apprentice matches that begin with him jumping right into the 4(A+B) and... well, he quickly decided to never do it again against Algol.

In addition, to beat out an Apprentice who starts the match with the Force Pull, go for the 7A+K bubbles at the beginning just to let him know you mean bubble business (Apprentice then thinks: "Oh boy.. here we go with the bubbles.." and then.. he may just jump into your juggle combos as his next gimmick.)

Back