Am I missing something...?

Colaya

[08] Mercenary
So uh yeah, just a heads up, spoilers ahead.

Just sat down and beat the story mode for SCV in a couple hours.... Wtf is this?

Plenty of characters didn't even make a single appearance, and 80% of the ones that did had no backstory or explanation whatsoever.

Ivy? What's she up to traveling around?

Natsu? Who the hell even is this?

Lexia/Xiba? Asumming that Lexia is just Xianghua's daughter, but I dunno. And who the hell is Xiba and why does he have the Kali Yuga? DUNNO.

Viola? I remember reading there were suspicions that she was Amy before the game came out, but she has like... What... 5 unimportant lines in the entire story?

Z.W.E.I.? Did he just die at the end? Guess we won't find out till SCVI.

Is there some other part of the game that has more story? I ran through the Arcade mode pretty quickly last night, but I don't remember there being an ending... And I don't see any other modes that look like they'd have story in it, so wtf?

I really hope I'm just being dumb and missing something here... Because if this really is all the story there is in the game, worst story I've seen for a SC game yet. :/

ur missing the entire story. the story mode was ass: picture cutscenes, no explaination of the 17 years, no explaination of the current events, only 2 characters get play and screen time.

this is not even counting the single player fail as well: no bios, no weapon demos, no quote theater, no movie theater, no chronicles of the sword, no weapons master or other side events a la sc3.

I'm pretty disapointed... There so much just there. All we got was Pat and Pyrrah had a fight, Pat pissed all over Elysium, they stabbed soul calibur with soul edge then went home.
There is absolutely no other backstory for any other character besides for their profile.

And I can't imagine what Ivy would be doing walking around in a random forest in the middle of Italy.

Honestly, it felt more like the whole story mode we got should have been a single act of a much bigger story mode. Maybe there was supposed to be an awful lot more of it that got shelved for time constraints?

The story mode is like food that didn't cook long enough. If they had all the time they needed I'm sure all the characters would be involved and it would be all cutscenes instead of storyboard art. I hope they continue to work on the story because if this is how they intended it to be then CyberConnect 2 must be smoking something.

I was legit shocked that this was Cyber Connect 2's handiwork. I have enjoyed everything they've put out immensely, but something about this...

Personally, I felt the story mode was fine enough as it is. Anybody remember the bull that was SCIV's "story mode"? Nothing was explained - they just put in opponents that said character was most likely to fight, without, excluding the Siegfried vs. Nightmare final showdown, confirming ANY of it to be canon. As a Cassandra fan, it drove me sick - what was the point of her randomly meeting Rock and assisting him in his rivalry with Astaroth? It was like she was an insert there. And did anybody remember the bull that was Stage 3 and all of them "guest characters"?

There's more stuff in the other press material than the game.

Xiba was raised on whateverthecrap mountain that Kilik is from and in order to save Kilik from... something... he has to get Kilik to entrust him with the Kali-Yuga. So I guess that happened, because Xiba is just lugging it around in story with no questions asked.

Favorite part of story:
Ivy: "The three treasures are hidden and no one knows of their location."
[5 minutes later]
Pat: "Hey, Xiba, is that stick the Kali-Yuga? Can I borrow it?"
Xiba: "K."
Pat: "While I'm at it, can I borrow all the other crap you guys have that are legendary treasures and give them to this mysterious hooker I met in a forest?"
Lexia: "K!"

Wait, what?

If you look two tabs to the right from the Forums tab at the top of this page, there's a wiki that'll answer some of your questions. Also, legendary souls doesn't give any story either.

oh right now i remember they outsourced the story and single player to another company so it would be well done, fleshed out, and enjoyable. wtf happened here namco???

oh right now i remember they outsourced the story and single player to another company so it would be well done, fleshed out, and enjoyable. wtf happened here namco???
Simply, neither Namco nor the company they outsourced, Cyber Connect 2, had enough time to finish what they intended due to a restrictive deadline and a miniature Armageddon hitting Japan in the form of a tsunami and a nuclear reactor that melted down(? don't quite remember how that second part turned out, I know it was bad though.) Namco's headquarters was fairly close to the affected area iirc.

Question answered.

Simply, neither Namco nor the company they outsourced, Cyber Connect 2, had enough time to finish what they intended due to a restrictive deadline and a miniature Armageddon hitting Japan in the form of a tsunami and a nuclear reactor that melted down(? don't quite remember how that second part turned out, I know it was bad though.) Namco's headquarters was fairly close to the affected area iirc.

Question answered.
i should of factored in natural disaster, but thats even better reason for them to have delayed it to make us a better product :(. wuts done is done tho they wanted the game in evo and such so they rushed it out, even i personally dont think that was the right decision.-

Seriously, you all should have realized long ago that if you were buying this game for the Story Mode, it was gonna be disappointing.

PS promised Viola would be important to the story (if that's what they call it, lol) yet we see her like, twice, and she's gone.

i should of factored in natural disaster, but thats even better reason for them to have delayed it to make us a better product :(. wuts done is done tho they wanted the game in evo and such so they rushed it out, even i personally dont think that was the right decision.-
Project Soul didn't have control of its deadline either iirc.

To the people posting about the character bios posted on the SCV website... Yeah it did give me some explanation of the character and I read them a few days after I made this thread... But I didn't realize that I'd have to read something not actually in the game itself. They could've at LEAST copy/pasted the bios into the game... :/

Lack of information aside, it's still a step above what SC4 offered us in terms of story... right?
In my opinion.. No. I preferred even SCIV's story mode over this. But yeah, that's just my opinion.

I just feel like they raised so many questions without answering a single one of them.

Why the hell did they even have to skip the story ahead 17 years? Obviously it wasn't a story-related reason... -.- So what was the point of all that?

Shut up! SC5 is a huge improvement. Maybe they rushed it and left things out but they really increased the definition of nipples in CAS! Shows me they have priorities.

I just feel like they raised so many questions without answering a single one of them.

I guess we have to go back to the island!
To be honest, I just skipped through most of the story. Using it as requirement for unlocking Legendary Souls made me more eager to complete it than to read it... then I later read a synopsis and realized it didn't have a thing to do with anyone I was remotely concerned about.

SCIII had an amazing story mode (and that other campaign thing which was slightly entertaining), I wish they could just go back to that style. Everyone has some sort of purpose with an interactive ending. And the wiki isn't answering a large many of those questions, but maybe I'm not checking the right pages...

Back