Anti Siegfried for Beginners - a guide.

Synraii

[14] Master
As with my first guide, this will be an ongoing work in progress, be patient and it will be completed.
I realise a lot of people visit this soul arena looking for tips and advice on how to compete with us super pro Siegfried beasts (GGs) so this guide will attempt to cover Siegfrieds weaker side and how to capitalise on it. Credit goes out to anyone who bothers to contribute.

1. Summary
2. Punishing
3. Handling range
4. How to handle each stance
5. Wakeup
6. Counter mixup options
7. Counter Picking

1. Summary

Siegfried as a character can compete with most of the cast but there are several who by nature cause him to fight a very uphill battle. As he is a very unsafe character, he relies on keeping the opponent out of their range to mount a significant offense, with options to move in and apply further pressure if the player is willing to take a gamble. His fatal weakness is to punish based characters who can punish consistently and hard at range. Aside from this type of character, he can compete well with the remaining cast, however it is almost impossible to win this matchup with Yoda, assuming you face competent opposition.

2. Punishing

As Siegfried is an unsafe gambler, you HAVE to punish him when he gets it wrong or this matchup will become very very difficult for you. In general his frames are pretty bad on block, so this section will be rather large. I will provide punish examples below each move from Siegfried's perspective - ie. how you would punish with Siegfried.

AA: Second hit does not jail, so duck and use a meaty WS or FC punisher.
iWS(B), SCH B.

AAB_AA(B): Duck the second hit into a WS or FC punisher on CH. If for whatever reason you miss the duck, you can still take some beefy damage: the third hit has no tracking to the left hand side, so step right and unload your most powerful NH launcher as it takes almost 11 years to recover from a whiffed AAB_AA(B).
iWS(B), SCH k(B), SBH K.
Step right , 1B.

6A_6(A): The pushback on this move makes punishing it very difficult for most - impossible in some cases. If your character can cover the range, any i16 or faster move will kill his stance and punish the empty version.
B6.

3A: Punish this as hard as you can, if I know my opponent won't punish me, I will literally spam this by a wall. -15
6A.

2A: -18
WS(B), SCH B.

1A_1AA: -16 -15 respectively, second hit is uninterruptable on block, so only attempt a punish if you KNOW they won't follow through.
6A.

4(A): Any i21 or faster mid kills his stance instantly.
3(B), SCH K if they don't attempt an attack, 3(B), SCH A+B if they do. Hit Confirmable.

WSA_WSAA_WS(A): WSAA is uninterruptable. All stance options post WS(A) are killed by i17 or faster mid. NEVER EVER use a high horizontal as he can SSH B auto gi it if it is between 9 and 16 frames in speed.
WS(B), SCH B WSAA.
3(B) everything else.

BB: -14

BBB_BB(B): -22 and -8 respectively, i18 or faster punishes both regardless. You can also step either side of the third hit and unload a whiff punisher.
3(B) or Step either side into 1B.

B2A: -17, interruptable by i16 or faster.
3(B) punish or CH 6A interrupt.

6B: -17.
3(B).

3B_3(B): 3(B) is completely beaten by i15 or faster, do NOT let your opponent get away with this on block... EVER!
6A.

2(B): -2, all SBH options beaten out by i17.
3(B).

1B: -16, if you dont punish this it will be abused by the edge.
6A.

4B_4BB_4BBB: All are -14, I wouldnt bother unless it was the 3rd hit for risk of eating additional hits.
6K.

WSB_WS(B): -20 and -1 respectively. To break WS(B) you need an i11 or faster move, which only a handful of characters have, Xianghua for example.
3(B) punish if no stance.

BTBB: -18.
WS(B).

6K: -14
6K.

3K_3KK_3KKB: -13, -20, -16 respectively. I would only punish 3rd hit for fear of interrupt.
K, WS(B), 6A respectively.

2K Stomps: All hits are -18.
WS(B).

1K: -14 Siegfried cannot punish this, many characters 2A's will.

BT2K: -20.
WS(B).

A+BA: -14 Siegfried cannot punish this, many characters 2A's will.

2A+B_2[A+B]: -16, -3 respectively. Do not punish with a horizontal - it can be auto-GI'd.
WSK universal answer.

A+K Series: With the exception of A+KK, all followups to A+K are beaten by using an attack with tech crouch or a delayed iWS move. Generally, risking the A+KK is worth it, BUT A+KK gives a KND on counter hit so be careful by the edge, it may be the last thing you do if you don't respect A+KK.
3(B) or iWS(B).

A+KK: -16
6A.

a+kA series: All followups to a+kA are either high or low - if you block it, go into FC immediately and you will be able to whiff punish a+kAA_a+kAAB.
If they do a+kA2A_a+kA2AA, you will block the first low and any i15 or faster move will interrupt the low and simultaneously punish the first low if they stop there.
~FC, WS(B) if they go high, 6A after first low.

a+ka2A_a+ka2AA: -15, 2nd hit interruptable by i16 or faster.
6A.

66_33_99A: -15
6A.

22_88A: -18
3(B).

44_11_77(A): -10 Fastest SRSH option trades with i28's.
Pick your Poison.

22B: -22
3(B).

88B_88(B): 88B itself is -25 and therefor 1B punishable, HOWEVER 88(B) is -2. This means i20's will trade with SRSH B. i19 or faster beats everything.
3(B).

11_77B_11_77(B): -22 and -6 respectively. i16's beat everything.
6A.

44B: -17
3(B).

44BB_44B(B): i22 will beat everything.
3(B).

66_33_99K_66_33_99KA: 66K is -16, 66KA is -8 but duckable. If Siegfried wants to punish 66K he must risk eating the second hit to do so. Most characters however, can just 2A him (or some other fast tech crouching move).

11_77K: -12, safe vs. Siegfried, punishale by some characters, such as Amy or Sophitia.

Dropkick: -18.
1K.

Running slide kick: -22
3(B).

FC A+G_B+G: -16
WSK.

SBH K: -22
3(B).

SBH A+B: -11 Safe vs. Siegfried, punishable by several characters - can be killed on reaction by quick tech jumping attacks though.

SCH[A]: -8, i 22 beats any SSH attack - do not use high horizontals, or risk an auto GI.
3(B).

SCH K_SCH KG: -5, -25 respectively. i15 beats everything.
6A.

SCH KK: -8, duck and use FC punisher.
iWS(B).

SCH kB_SCH k(B): -22, -5 respectively. i20 beats everything. Don't punish with horizontals.
3(B).

SCH A+B: Safe on block, but can be ducked on reaction if you're on the ball, whiff punish with FC move.
iWS(B).

SSH A: -16, I would only punish if I saw a stance transition as the second hit is uninterruptable.
WSK

SSHAA: -17.
WS(B).

SSH[A]: This transition can be shut down on block OR normal hit as it puts you in SRSH with a mere +2 advantage. If it doesn't KND you, mash out an i15 mid immediately.
On Block: 1B, On Hit: 3K.

SSH B: -14
6K.

SSH K: -14
6K.

SSH A+B: -20 Safe due to backstep unless in a corner. Mid screen sophitia can TASB TASB:4 him... Which sucks...
In corner: 3(B)

SRSH A_SRSH [A]: -20 if you somehow don't duck this on reaction and whiff punish, i20 beats anything. The only players who even consider using this move are people who HATE winning matches - so dont expect to punish it often.
3(B)

SRSH B: -20
3(B).

SRSH K_SRSH [K]: -26, - 8 respectively, i25 mid beats anything Due to the tech crouch on SRSH K.
1B.

SRSH A+B: -12, safe vs. most characters, Setsuka can umbrella punish it though.

SBTCH A: -19
3(B)

SBTSH: -27
WS(B)

3. Handling Range.

-Will continue tomorrow-

Back