Astaroth's Tech Trap (Discussion)

Xeph

#TRYHARD
Discovered a tech trap pertaining to Astaroth? Feel free to post here for discussion. If questions concerning Astaroth's tech traps come up, post here and I or another member can possibly help you. Keep discussion civil.

Here's some from the guide-

44B - 2A+G/2B+G (catches all directions)
CH6B - 66[K], preferred follow up (can be teched to either side to avoid)
63214B+G - 66[K], preferred follow up (catches all directions)
66[K] - 66[K], preferred follow up (catches all directions)

This wasn't really in the guide but after seeing that 66[K] could tech into another 66[K] it seemed like kind of a no-brainer-
66[K] - 66[K] - 66[K] - 66[K] - etc - etc (after the second hit the camera changes angles depending on which way they tech and telling which side you are on can be a real pain)

I also found this one-
CH3A+B - 22_88B BE, 28B+G (can be teched to the left to avoid)

you can tech trap after ch 3A with 6k, 66K and 66K~BE.
Lol, sorry that I'm being kinda anal about these. I feel like I'm in the Notation branch of the Grammar Nazis. :)

Since you said in the other thread that you can also tech trap a 3A after a 66K BE so I think you can do-
CH 3A - 66K BE - 3A - rinse and repeat as long as you have meter and they keep getting up (again the enemy can tech left to avoid either hit and can tech back to avoid the 3A after the 66K BE, I feel like Asta is kind of like this one friend I have that is blind in one eye and can't see s*** on that side. :D)

you sure that was me that was talking about 3B?, i tested it just now and it doesn't seem to combo in anyway from 66K~BE, and i don't really rememeber posting it :P

Anyways expanding on your 66[K] 66[K] i just found that you can get 22B to tech trap after a fully charged 66[K] or reversal 66K~BE.
So basicly anytime 66K~BE does the reversal you're gonna take atlaest 93, with no tech roll from 22b, and if they do tech they'll get launched for even more.

Also i found a really interesting bug with your trap 3A+B 22B~BE, if you mash it out as fast as possible and use a binding for all 3 buttons then some times it'll do 22A instead of 22B even though it clearly shows in command history you pressed 22B~A+B+K

214a tech traps ch 6k in all directions for an easy 130damage.
preferred setup would be 44[A], 6k, 214a --151 damage .. this guarantees that the 6k is a counter hit even if the 44[A] is a normal hit.

1aa tech traps a ch 6k in all directions for 89 damage
If the enemy is close to being soul bursted, you can opt to do 1ab, the 1a will still tech trap and from what I can tell the second hit will hit their guard giving you 63 damage and guaranteed soul guage damage, or if they lay there and take the last hit while lying down, it'll stun them on the ground and allow for further followups. Simply holding guard to stand up in place and guarding low without teching any direction will escape this tech trap.

4a+b, 2a+g/2b+g - classic SCIV tech trap

Off of a 6[B+K], 22_88kA+B+K(BE) tech traps in all directions. However, catching someone teching left or forward will stun them on the ground, catching them teching right or back will cause them to stumble from the earthquake. Both allow for various followups.

^ Awesome stuff! Though technically that CH 4A+B (I'm assuming you meant the counter hit version) into crouch grabs is actually a combo since you can grab them before they get knocked all the way down. Still works beutifully though.

^ Awesome stuff! Though technically that CH 4A+B (I'm assuming you meant the counter hit version) into crouch grabs is actually a combo since you can grab them before they get knocked all the way down. Still works beutifully though.
No, I meant normal hit 4a+b(not the unblockable version, just a regular hit.) It'll knock down on normal hit and a 2a+g/2b+g will tech trap. I think you're thinking of CH 3a+b, that allows you to crouch grab before they even hit the ground. With NH 4a+b there's no way to grab them before they hit the ground.

Also, I'll edit my last post but I'll also put it here. I recently found out that the 1aa tech trap off of a CH 6k does trap left, right, forward and backwards techs, however just holding guard to stand up in place and then guarding low will get you out of that situation all together.

No, I meant normal hit 4a+b(not the unblockable version, just a regular hit.) It'll knock down on normal hit and a 2a+g/2b+g will tech trap. I think you're thinking of CH 3a+b, that allows you to crouch grab before they even hit the ground. With NH 4a+b there's no way to grab them before they hit the ground.
I actually had that completely wrong anyways, I was thinking of 3A+B.

I discovered this with Ivy but it also works with Astaroth

After any knockdown that your opponent cannot ukemi after, if the opponent gets up immediately you can perform CE and they will be unable to crouch it if you time it correctly.

I tested it after a simple BB and got it to work. I don't play asta so i'm sure you guys will find better uses. If you do it too early it will whiff and if you do it too late they will be able to duck it. You want to time it so that the CE flash happens when the opponent is fully standing after getting up but has not yet begun crouching.

This will be a good way to keep opponents grounded after certain knockdowns.

After a 44[ B ] UA regular bullrush will tech trap all directions. 3KA will also tech trap after 44[ B ] but only to the front and back so not as useful. Near a wall I was able to get 44[ B ], 66K tech hit, 3Ka, 6B, 22_88[K], 22_88B for 255-262 damage.

*the bullrush actually can be avoided by teching left but only at closer ranges, if the 44[ B ] hits at range then the bullrush will still hit no matter what direction they tech.

**can also get 6K to tech trap after 44[ B ] but again it can be escaped to the left.

***All this was done with the training dummy set to tech in various directions, I'm hoping this isn't one of those stupid training bugs.

2A+G_B+G will tech trap after bullrush but it is escapable to the back. Also if you are using a CaS Astaroth then it can be escaped to the sides as well but normal Asta will catch side techers.

Man the Astaroth section has been pretty dead lately, where is everyone?

most of what the game has to offer has been found already, astaroth only have like 20 moves and they can only be used in so many ways before you just end up going in circles.

If you have the balls and smarts to use 11_77bk correctly there are three tech traps off of it that I know of.

If B part lands it tech traps as a crouch throw, if B and K land you get the same crouch throw trap.

If B misses or is blocked and K lands, you can tech trap 44a.

Awesome move against certain matchups, completely useless in others. Recommend using it for griefing sieg/nightmare/viola/xiba

2A+G_B+G will tech trap after bullrush but it is escapable to the back. Also if you are using a CaS Astaroth then it can be escaped to the sides as well but normal Asta will catch side techers.
Scratch this, the other day I got this to work but right now I can't get it to work at all. Tried against a bunch of characters too.

the game has some unknown elements, 4b+k,b 44B is sometimes a combo and sometimes you can tech it.

air grab A+G, 2 A+G_B+G
catches left tech, escapable on right tech... not sure about back tech. someone verify. :D

Back