Attacks you may not be using enough.

Prymo

[08] Mercenary
Deliberitly stolen from the Raphael forums this is the brand new "Attacks you may not be using enough".

I start out with a few:

:1::1::B:
A relative quick attack with great range and Wind Transitions. Also has a bit of suprise factor since alot of people don't know this move and that it can link into Talim's stances. Also AS :A:+:B: combo's after it (you need to shorten the AS though). Also it has that fake Wind Leap glitch.

:6::6::A:+:B:
I can be biased but I love this move. It guard breaks(wich seems to scare people a lot), it TC's and you can cancel it(however it is very late into the animation so only if you know they will GI) into BT mix-ups. Also as the famous tech trap after CH :4::B::B:.

BT :(A):
Quite situational but it gives +frames on block. Not many moves do that in Talim's move list so you can use this as a frame trap. Also it steps a bit back in the animation so you can use it to force a whiff.

:1::A:+:B:
The fast Tech crouch mid wich knocksdown on hit and counterhit. Has a great wake-up follow game and I thought it is safe aswell (I can be wrong here). Edit: Apparently this move isn't safe but it is still great.

:2::2::K:
This one is like TOTAL evasion. It Tech jumps it tech steps (is that a word?) and it also tech crouches really early. Also it has deceptive range. I don't know why I don't use this move so much but it is really a great move to throw out once in a while.

These are just a few examples (wich are obviously also my opinion since I haven't played any high-tournament game at all, but I am just trying to discuss some things) and maybe you guys would like to add some on the list.

I'll add some moves.

:6::A:+:B: - lots of SG damage means quick CF. Should be abused when your opponent's forced to block.

:8::8::B: - good SG damage, hits grounded, and launches.

:6::B: - set's up BT mixups, quick punisher

BT :B:+:K: :A:+:B: - Good SG damage, can be mixup with throws and :A:+:B:,:2::3::6::A:,:2::3::6::B:
(It would be awesome if that was guaranteed on block, like Kilik's BP B, 3KB!)

And also :A:+:B:,:2::3::6::A:,:2::3::6::B: - TC's, 50 damage combo, leads to wakeup.

I also forgot to mention AS :A:+:K: - Good against mid to small size pressure characters(Taki, Amy, Maxi, etc...). Safe(Mostly) and can be mixed up with an empty AS which leads to BT mixups. WILL NOT work on large characters (Asty, Ivy, Vader, etc...) Stupid tall characters.

One thing I'll note, I don't see too much uses for BT :(A):. It doesn't do much SG damage and and most of the options afterwards on block are kinda iffy. Plus it's high and duckable on reaction. Though I've seen Kura's videos where he uses it for pressure, so iono.

I think :7:_:8:_:9: :B: can be added as well. Good SG damage and safe, though it's best if this move is blocked since the followups on hit are limited.

I'm glad someone else finally understands how good :2::2:_:8::8::K: is. I've always liked that move.

:6::B: is also +10 on both hit and CH. And Prymo, :1::A:+:B: is a great defensive move, but it isn't safe on block unfortunately.

I should probably use 33A more often, since 66A[A+B] is easily steppable...
Trying to use 33B6:B more often to vary things up a bit.
Now that I understand that A+B236A236B need to be done very slowly, I'll probably use it more often now...
This move is a killer, but it was all wasted because I kept doing it too fast.
Also, it hits grounded.

One thing I'll note, I don't see too much uses for BT :(A):. It doesn't do much SG damage and and most of the options afterwards on block are kinda iffy. Plus it's high and duckable on reaction. Though I've seen Kura's videos where he uses it for pressure, so iono.

Yeah I know but I mostly suggested it as a force whiffer versus people who try to interrupt you quick out of BT.

And Prymo, + is a great defensive move, but it isn't safe on block unfortunately.

Ah okay I didn't knew that, I think it is still a great move though.

I should probably use 33A more often, since 66A[A+B] is easily steppable...

Ah yes 33A, I really only use that as a RO move..and even then not so much. Is it safe? I do know that if you hit only the first part you will get a shakable stun (wich can go into mix-ups ofcourse).

Keep it coming people! This is turning out better then I thought!

Sorry for the double post.
As a matter of fact after a blocked BT :B:+:K:~:A:+:B: you have a free throw. And after a hit you have a free ice wind combo ^^. So you were close! Keep up the good work.

As a matter of fact after a blocked BT :B:+:K:,:A:+:B: you have a free throw. And after a hit you have a free ice wind combo

I know the throw after BT :B:+:K:, :A:+:B: is unduckable, but it can be escaped, so it's not guaranteed damage. Also, it's rare for a person to actually get hit by that as it is, so I focused more on the SG damage.

And the BT B+K, A+B, ice wind combo, only does about 20 more points of damage. You actually do more damage with the ice wind combo by itself. For the amount of effort you put in for the timing, aiming to do this isn't all that worth it. Really BT B+K A+B shouldn't really be depended on for damage, more for SG damage and mixups, maybe even a free throw. But I will say this, it does set up you pretty nicely for wakeup.

33A isn't safe. And that weird stun thing is so random. I've never had anyone shake simply because no one ever expects it to actually happen.

Not sure about BT [A]. It's Talim's most damaging single strike by far and gives a bit of adv. on block as Prymo said. But I can't get people to whiff against it really since the retaliations usually have the range to hit her out of it

:A::+::K:- Techs, on CH you got a :A::A::B: and moves you in.

I've been practicin/doin :2::2::K: since SCIII. Sometimes use it for my final hit (if the opponent needs one more hit to die)- it moves ya around, has pretty good range and is a little tricky (it's a move and a high hit at the same time).

Sometimes people don't block the 2nd hit of :4::4::K:, same goes with :4::4::A::A: (if it hits you got a :6::6::A::+::B:) so they are good as well.

Ya some people may only expect one hit, esp. the :A: move as the second one goes out farther than the first.

When Asta swings his hamma sometimes I get hit by the second swing cause I forget that it comes out farther than the first...

i'm not sure if you already abuse this but

6A, A
Will give you a frame advanage if opponent blocks.

11_77 B
Great move for covering distances. Follow into AS A+B to cover ground quick, and while hitting.

6A,A does give frame advantage, but you don't want to abuse it. It has really slow start up, so it's easy to see coming, and even if you don't duck the first hit on reaction, you can still duck the second. 6A,K isn't even worth using as a mixup. If 6A,K stunned on CH then that'd be something.

11_77 B has been mentioned already, and has WAY more uses then just covering ground. For example, long range whiff baiting, leaves you BT on neutral which leads to BT mixups, fake wind leap, and even does good SG damage with 11_77 B 8_2 B:B. Not to mention the fact that the opponent recovers crouching so you can also get a free AS A+K if they try to counter afterwards, both on block and hit.

I use 11_77B quite a bit myself. It's such a good move. It's great for wakeup as well since it's one of two moves (the other being 44B) that both hits grounded and transitions into all of her Wind stances.

I didn't know 6A,A gave any sort of advantage on block though. How much is it? Knowing Talim it's probably not a lot, but I'm sure there are some tricks she can use afterwards.

According to the Talim Frames thread, 6AA give 0 frames on block. It could be wrong though. There are incorrect things on there like 4BB being -14 frames on block.

if you perfrom:

6AA (blocked) then follow up with AA6BA, AAB, BB, or any other fast move you will almost always beat out the opponent, if they try to attack afterwards. (with a few exceptions)

It might not even gives frame advantage, but the angle it puts the opponent into causes their follow up attack to be slower. i dunno try it

after 11_77 B i always end up doing FUCKING WC instead of WL. It is so fucking annoying.

It might not even gives frame advantage, but the angle it puts the opponent into causes their follow up attack to be slower.

Lol, you completely contradicted yourself right there.

But I get what you're saying. Guess I'll have to test it out. I know for a fact that X can get a free AA on a blocked 4BB, so I know it's not -14 on block. In any case, that doesn't change the fact that 6AA is not an abuseable move. The fact that it's high will mean that eventually it will get ducked and punished, so you might want to watch out for that if you are using it alot.

As for the 11B to WC instead of WL, do you know what you're doing wrong? Or is it your pad?

I know for a fact that X can get a free AA on a blocked 4BB, so I know it's not -14 on block. In any case, that doesn't change the fact that 6AA is not an abuseable move. The fact that it's high will mean that eventually it will get ducked and punished, so you might want to watch out for that if you are using it alot.

Xianghua's AA is 11 frames. So all that proves is that 4BB is -11 or worse on block. The wiki says -17 which I believe could be correct because Seong Mina's 6B+K can punish it and it's 15 frames.

You are right about 6AA having to be used sparingly. I don't really use it much myself but I thought that if it gave frame advantage I could work it in somehow. If it's neutral frames, it still looks like disadvantage so perhaps it'll bait your opponent into attempting to punish.

Agreed. I really just wish that 6AK actually made people afraid to duck. It's too weak a mixup. Why put it there the first place...

Also, the way I read the Frames thread, - is advantage, + is disadvantage. So it basically said 4BB gave 14 frames advantage on block, which is completely wrong. It could've been a typo though, but what I was saying that it might not be the only one.

Back