B+K; to B or not to B

Large_Yeti

[09] Warrior
I have a few questions about B+K that I couldn't find the answers to anywhere:
  1. Can the B follow-up be hit-confirmed? For example, can I hit-confirm CH B+K and imput B fast enough to get the CCH? And delay/skip B if B+K is a confirmed block/NH? If it is possible, is it exclusive to offline only?
  2. The frame data thread for Cass gives info about the TJ properties of B+K, but what about its auto-step properties? Sometimes I try using B+K to get around verticals; sometimes it works wonders, and other times it fails miserably. Is the timing just very strict, or does it only work for a select number of moves, or both?
Thanks for the imput! I hope these questions aren't too dumb. :3

If it's like Soph's B+K B you should be able to hit the B once you see the red counter-hit flash. Good luck confirming it online though. You can also assume you'll get a counter-hit based on what animations your opponent is in as you do it, but it's not a perfect way of doing it.

Timing is a bit of a factor I'd say. I've been thrown out of this move and been hit with Amy 2B+K as I've been landing, but most characters catch movement in one direction better than others. You might be getting hit out of B+K because that character tracks better to the left. You might still be able to B+K around these B+K killing verticals. Step and then B+K. Not really sure how much more this helps, but I feel like I've had moderate success doing this.

You can't CH confirm Cass' B+K, B. Sophies yes, Cass, no.
If you could Cass would jump a whole new tier on that alone.

The step on B+K only works against verts with horrendous linearity and no right-side hitbox. Good luck B+King around Sophie BB, for example.

B+K lands before it hits, so you are subject to being hit with throws and lows. Don't use this move to low-kill for CH's, as it's not very effective.

-Idle

You can't CH confirm Cass' B+K, B. Sophies yes, Cass, no.
If you could Cass would jump a whole new tier on that alone.

The step on B+K only works against verts with horrendous linearity and no right-side hitbox. Good luck B+King around Sophie BB, for example.

Well that's disappointing. Do you know any specific moves that B+K can sidestep reliably?

Yay Cass SA activity!

1st question: I don't really use B+K much, but from my experience the B follow up can not be hit confirmed off of a regular CH. Now if you hit the B+K and see the opponents move before or as it lands, you might be able to confirm the 2nd hit (this is the only way I can do it).

2nd: B+K does sidestep, pretty well too. Problem is some verticals will track to one side (or have a large range) and hit Cassy out of the evade. So to answer your question, it comes down a little bit of both. Timing IS important, but the move you use it against is just as important.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Idle beats me again!

You can also assume you'll get a counter-hit based on what animations your opponent is in as you do it, but it's not a perfect way of doing it.

Yay Cass SA activity!

1st question: I don't really use B+K much, but from my experience the B follow up can not be hit confirmed off of a regular CH. Now if you hit the B+K and see the opponents move before or as it lands, you might be able to confirm the 2nd hit (this is the only way I can do it).

So basically if I notice the opponent going for a move -the moment- I use B+K, I can assume it will be a CH and go for the second hit, but if not, I should just assume a block/NH and not follow-up?

Pretty much everything Voldo does in front stance except A+B and 3A. Pretty much everything he does from BS.

I'll have to test this on Enkindu next time I play him >:P

So basically if I notice the opponent going for a move -the moment- I use B+K, I can assume it will be a CH and go for the second hit, but if not, I should just assume a block/NH and not follow-up?

It's kinda weird but generally yeah. If I see that I will hit an enemy out of their animation I am able to more or less confirm it.

You can hit confirm Cassy's B+K with practice; I used to be able to when I played her more. Looking to see what your opponent's action was when you were doing it and listening for the CH help a lot. Also, if you you can't hit confirm it, if you go for the hold, there a bit of leeway where you can charge it to see if it's counterhit and release for the second hit. Still takes practice but not so much.

Oh yeah, to help, you could also go to practice and put the counterhit setting to random.

If you're in doubt if your B+K hit was a counter hit or not, you should generally always go for B+K,{B} or stop at B+K instead of doing B+K,B. Even though its not a combo B+K,{B} is +4 and does nice soul gauge damage. On hit, B+K, {B} will beat anything slower than i10 (Taki's i10 AA beats it, and it smashes through X's i11 AA). Course if B+K gets blocked, then, you can be hit out of B+K,{B} quite easily. The last thing you want is B+K,B to be blocked.

Also beware that B+K, {B} can be stepped even on B+K hit, or it can be guard impacted fairly easily. If they just throw out a gi blindly, then stop at B+K and 33B launch their gi whiff. And your B+K side steps and beats their B+K, {B} :)

If you are using B+K to evade a move, it'll almost always just be a natural hit anyways, as its a slow enough move that you'll hit after the active frames of the move you dodged.

Back