Bad Habits?

The_Ebolanator

[08] Mercenary
Whats up, people? I've been a long-time Cervy/Nightmare player, but have VERY recently been learning the ropes with Algol. I never thought to give him mind in the last game because I assumed he would be a one-off like Abyss back in III days, but it looks like he may be sticking around for a bit, so I decided to finally give him a try.

Now, by no means am I any good at him. I'm just now starting to get the nuances of FC 8Bs and BE 3B combos and whatnot, but I have noticed I've been using "unsanctioned" tactics to gain wins as of late, especially because the group I game with are not the hardest-of-the-core by any stretch of the term.

I've found that the two biggest habits I have acquired is that . . .
A) I tend to throw around 623B a lot when I notice a low coming. It's just so sweet to GI the bastards and clobber the crap them for their hubris. (I even managed to tag a Natsu out of a 4A+B once . . . I never even thought that move was GI-able, unless it is and I'm just being a moron).

B) I'm practically addicted to FC 8B out of forced-crouch blocks. I especially love it because I've yet to meet a Nightmare that can "Out-quickdraw" me when I block their 3B and punish accordingly.

Now I imagine that these are the very purposes these moves have been created for, but I can't help but shake the suspicion that I'm developing bad playing habits for higher competitive play, especially because of the inordinate amount of times I use these moves despite my awareness of the dangers of telegraphing.

What say you, the Algol community? Am I being paranoid, or should I fix these "bad habits"? Also, to turn the discussion outward, have any of you had to break yourself from bad habits/are still struggling with them?

All habits are bad, a habit means your doing something unconsciously. Try to be conscious in everything you do ( real life also ).

Keep in mind that nothing is bad as long as your opponent is falling for it.

If you realize that someone is catching on to your 8b addiction after they force a crouch on you and is punishing you for it. then that's when you stop doing that mindlessly. But now you know that he thinks blocking after he forces you into crouching is what he thinks is the right answer. Knowing that you can just grab or do a low or anything he doesn't expect.

Remember to keep your opponent constantly thinking about what the right answer is in every situation. If at any stage you manage to know what hes thinking you can punish him in any situation.

Most people are simple and its very easy to tell when they think they "learned" how to deal with something. And of course next time that situation comes up you do the opposite.

Good luck fellow Algol brethren.

Add me on psn if you want some algol teachings.

PSN: AwakenedBeing-

In general, I have a bad habit of freezing up and blocking when the opponent has really low health, making it easy for people to comeback on me. I guess you could say I have trouble holding my momentum.
As algol, I have a big one. After every successful 66B, I will almost always do 1B immediately after, even though it has no chance of hitting. I have no idea where that habit came from, but it's incredibly annoying >:(

I fully support the idea of changing up attack patterns, even when they work: there's enough variety in character movelists in this game for there to be more than one "correct" answer for dealing with an opponent's play in most situations. It's also good that you're recognising when you're getting away with things that maybe you shouldn't. So long as you can get those habits out of muscle memory by the time you find opponent's who do punish certain patterns/moves consistently, feel free to abuse them against those who struggle to deal with it. Make things easier for yourself. =]

As for me, a good example of making myself break habits is recognising I was using 22B on oki too much to the point I would get rolled against and punished a lot, and have since integrated far more variety. I'm still looking out for patterns I may be using too much, and trying to recognise what does and doesn't work on individual opponent's/chaarcters on a match to match basis. Over time, the more I've played with my brain switched on to the right sort of decision making, the more effective my play has become overall, and the less likely I am to fall into predictable patterns.

Back