Break mechanics, how do they work?

Requiem

[08] Mercenary
What are the properties of the Break mechanic? I don't even know how is it named anymore, but it used to be called Break in SC3 iirc. I'm referring to what happens when two attacks impact at the same time, and sometimes both are repelled or one prevails; one's execution is interrupted and the other succeeds. I think it used to be defined by which had the most damage, or if one was a horizontal and other a vertical the vertical one would prevail, something like that. So... what are the exact mechanics?

I believe you're talking about SC2's "break" system, wherein slightly slower moves would sometimes beat faster moves if they had a higher "weight" property. Generally verticals had higher weight than horizontals, so you would occasionally see verticals interrupting horizontals even when the frame data implied the horizontal attack should have hit first.

This system was removed in SC3. It only ever existed in SC2.

The 'break' thingy still exists in sc5 even if its not called the same thing or follows the same rules. Some attacks, when they collide with another attack, cause your character to recoil. I am also curious as to what causes this.

You're thinking of weapon clashes, where two attacks impact each other on the same frame and bounce off each other. This has been in all the soul games, and is different than the "break" system that only existed in 2.

I believe SC1 also had a feature where if your opponent was in a neutral stance and not guarding, you could attack from just outside of your max range and hit just their weapon, knocking it aside and leaving them momentarily vulnerable. I'm not sure if this was ever carried over to later games, but it very rarely came up anyway.

Yeah that thing, weapon clashes. I had no idea what it was called. Sometimes though one attack gets through? Could there be some extra mechanic that determines when that happens or would it be random?

The other day I had a weapon clash with Siegfrieds CE, with my Natsu's 66B, cost him the match :')

Back