Budo journal: War path

Starscream

[09] Warrior
If you're looking to read anything interesting or enlightening that's rather unfortunate at the current point in time. I'm starting a Journal of Budo inspired by an article I read here [about finding an opponents rhythm] as well as Morihei Ueshiba a.k.a. Ōsensei and his life's story about his journey of understanding that lead to the foundation of Aikido.

It's unfortunate, for you, that I has nothing to share at the current moment and am simply starting a thread so that I wont put it off. The focus is the point out training methods and techniques to becoming a better competitor in a competition that involves variables.

While a footrace at a track meet is a form of competition it's lacking in the variables. Your competition doesn't matter, only you. Your stamina and speed you've acquired from training. And it's all very straightforward. The only complexity is pacing yourself. It lacks in variables, your competition doesn't matter [only how hard you try and train].

Football, chess, Mario cart, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Streetfighter, Boxing, Tennis, the list goes on. These are forms of competition where you're opponents decisions matter because of the variables. All of these have more than 1 dimension of depth in the competition [unlike Track]. I'll be focusing on very generalized training techniques and strategies that pan over all of them. e.g. Chess players will look at chess problems and study the solutions until it's ingrained in their head. In a match they'll run into said problem and instantly know the solution. However the board is at times clusters with a variety of different problems at once and they have to have strategy of the entire match. They also focus on an opening game, midgame, and end game.

In soul calibur studying all the "chess problems" in your match ups until it's ingrained in your head means when your opponent has said character you read up on and does such and such attack you know the solution and follow through. However this is fairly one dimensional and doesn't cover overall strategy. Viewing the match there's opening game, midgame, and endgame strategy. And within each round are micro versions of all of these. Winning the match is always more important than the round. You'll be presented with a situation where using resources [meter] might give a glimmer of hope in a down hill round where the match is currently 1-0 in your favor. Since you're so close to death you might as well save the meter to use in the next round. in a 1-1 situation is doesn't matter as much since you gain an entire bar if you lose.

This is really just resource and strategy management which can be applied to pretty much everything. That's what I'm focusing by writing a journal of what I think of and come up with.

Unfortunately I'm too tired and a little boozed up at the moment, so I'm simply starting my thread so I won't forget and will post in it later.

Back