Cassandra Step/8WR Study

andur

[10] Knight
I did some testing on which of her moves beats step/8wr and in what directions. For the most part, these where done Cassandra vs Cassandra , so its possible some of the characters with better steps can evade a few more of these moves.

By sword/shield side, I mean the side of the attacking Cassandra player. So if you want to step 6A, step towards your opponent's sword hand. All = tracks everything. None = tracks nothing. NA = not applicable (either the string doesn't track or its the last hits of 2B8BAA).

This all assumes you are both at neutral when the move begins, and that the moves are in range to hit you even if you do step.

A = All
AA = All
AK = Doesn't retrack if A whiffs. Steppable/8wrable either way. Can't be stepped/8wred if A is blocked
6A = Steppable to sword side, Hilde can step it either way (Cassandra can't).
6AA = NA Doesn't retrack, will hit anyone stepping 6A to shield side, misses sword side steppers
6AAA = NA Doesn't retrack
3A = All
3AK = None, can't be stepped if 3A hits
2A = Slightly steppable to sword side at range
1A = All
4A = All
4AB = None, can't be stepped if 4A hits, on block you're screwed
FC A = All
WSA = forward diagonal 8wr/step to shield side sometimes beats it, though it whiffs right through them so probably just the infamous WR A whiff glitch
WS[A] = All
8_9A = All
7A = All
BT A = All
BT 2A = Steppable to sword side, beats 8wr both sides

B = None
BB = None, but, if you step B at range (BB block pushback range) the 2nd B will hit at least Cassandra regardless
BK = None, can't be stepped if B blocked first
6B = None
3B = None
2B = Beats sword side 8wr and that's it
2BB = Beats 8wr to shield and all to sword after a 2B block. Beats all on a 2B hit
2B8B = Beats all on a blocked 2B. 8wr'able both sides on a 2B whiff
2B8BA = NA
2B8BAA = NA
1B = None
4B = Beats 8wr step shield side only , hard to step to shield side (only at point blank is it steppable)
4BB = Beats 8wr step shield side only, hard to step to shield side (only at point blank is it steppable)
4BB:A = Beats all on 4BB block. Steppable to shield side on a 4BB whiff
FC B = None
FC 3B = None, sometimes it'll hit 8wr if you walk in a circle around her long enough
FC 1B = None
WSB = None
7_8_9B = None
BT B = None
BT 2B = None

K = steppable both ways, beats 8wr both ways
6K = None
3K = None
2K = Steppable to shield side
1K = None
4K = None (beats 8wr slightly to shield side at point blank
FC K = Steppable to shield side, beats 8wr both ways and beats step to sword side
WSK = Beats 8wr slightly both sides at point blank, steppable both ways
8K = Beats 8wr only at close range
8KB = None (loses to front 8wr even)
BT K = Beats 8wr both ways (step?)
BT 2K = Steppable to sword side, beats 8wr both sides

A+B {1} = None
A+B {2} = Slight tracking to beat 8wr to shield side, though that's only at point blank and likely due to the big hit box
8A+B = Beats 8wr and step to sword side. Beats step to shield side if step is done early. At long range beats 8wr to shield side too, but not at close range
8A+BK = On 8A_B Block, tracks all. Beats all 8wr, beats step to sword side. Can be double stepped to shield side, though this is hard to do
B+K = None
B+KB = No retracking. On B+K block or hit beats step + 8wr
B+K{B} = On B+K block none. On hit or counter hit, beats 8wr, loses to step
2B+K = None
4B+K = Steppable both ways. Beats 8wr at mid range, 8wr'able close up
8B+K = None, though quake stun tracks 360
8{[B+K} = None, though quake stun tracks 360. Amusingly, you can run underneath it and go far enough to avoid the stun
BT B+K = Occassional beats 8wr, though very rarely
4A+K = Loses to 8wr/step to shield side at close range, tracks otherwise
8A+K = None
8A+KK = None. Though on 8A+K block/hit its non-steppable

33_66_99A = All against most of the cast, Hilde can step it to sword side (though just barely beats Cassandra step)
22A = All
88A = All
22_88AA = All
11_44_77A = All
66B = Steppable both ways. Beats 8wr to shield side only
33_99B = None
22_88B = Steppable both ways. Beats 8wr both ways when in range
22_88{B} = None
11_44_77B = None
44bA = All, though of course its slow enough to just run away from lol
66K = None. Sometimes beats 8wr, but, its inconsistent, you can 8wr in circles around her and sometimes get hit
66[K] = None. Same as 66K
33K = Steppable both ways. Beats 8wr to sword side, sometimes beats 8wr to shield side (33K 33K)
33KK = Doesn't retrack on 33K whiff/step/8wr. Beats 8wr to sword side. On hit/block, beats 8wr + step
33KA+K = Doesn't retrack on 33K whiff/step/8wr. Beats 8wr to sword side. On hit/block can be stepped to shield side (hard)
22_88K = None
22_88KK = None, doesn't retrack. Can't be stepped on 22_88K block/hit
11_44_77K = None
66A+B = None
33_66_99B+K = None
33_66_99B+KA = None steppable/8wr'able on 66B+K block (bad!)
33_66_99B+KAB = None beats step/8wr on 66B+K,A block
33_66_99B+KAK = Beats 8wr to shield side, if you 8wr 66B+K,A. Can be double stepped to sword side. Seems to beat double step to shield side
22_88B+K = None
11_44_77B+K = Beats 8wr at close range. Always loses to step. Loses to 8wr at long range
[6]~K (Slide) = None

236A = Loses to a precisely timed sword side step at close range. Beats 8wr and shield side step and sword side step at range
236AB = - No retracking if 236A stepped. No tracking if 236A whiffs. Not steppable on 236A block.
236B = Close range: lose to step both ways. 8wr'able to shield side, beats 8wr to sword side. Far range: Beats 8wr to shield side, loses to 8wr to sword side, still loses to step both ways
236:B = Loses to step. Loses to 8wr at close range. 236{B} block 236{B} beats 8wr though. Seems to have a wider hit box than the just frame version?
236{B} = Close range: None Far range: sometimes beats 8wr. Seems more linear than the non-just frame version
236:{B} = Loses to step. Loses to 8wr at close range. 236:{B} block 236:{B} beats 8wr though
236K = All
2362_8A = Same as 236A
2362_8AB = Same as 236AB
2362_8B = Beats shield side 8wr. Loses to step both sides and loses to sword side 8wr
2362_8BA = NA
2362_8BAA = NA
2362_8K = Same as 8K
2362_8KB = Same as 8KB
214A = All (though I suspect you could step it sword side like 236A at close range, the backstep makes this hard if not impossible)
214AB = No retracking if 214A misses. Same as 236AB
214B = Same as 236B Though the backstep in 214 tends to put you out of close range
214{B}= Same as 236{B} Though the backstep in 214 tends to put you out of close range
214K = All

From this, I'd say, if I had to pick only one side to ever step/8wr in, it would be towards her sword side. You negate essentially all of her vertical and kick moves.

Few moves of particular interest:
8A+B - Really nice 8wr kill at range. Safe on block and if you do get a step counter you get 8A+B,K for free. The K also beats step in the opposite direction 8A+B does if they do manage to step it.
236B/236:B - There actually seems to be a difference in the hit boxes! 236:B seems to be more linear. Though this might be just due to me inputting the just frame version faster, but, there really does seem to be something worse about it.
66B+KAB/66B+KAK - The A being 8wr/steppable is really nasty, the K can be a panic button to try to get out of this. Shouldn't really be continuing after 66B+K on block anyways.
66A - Hilde can step it, mutter, probably a few others can, it only barely beats Cassandra's step
WR A - Movement to her shield side seems to be the cause of the WR A whiff bug
33K series - Beats 8wr to her weak sword side
I also did a bit of testing on just how fast Cassandra can step. I found she can step a B at a -7 disadvantage but not at a -8 disadvantage. 66A hit (+7) B is steppable, and I couldn't step 66K hit (+8) B.

Feel free to correct me if I've made any mistakes, or to add on any moves that the characters with better step can beat that Cassandra can't, and I'll update the post.

Back