Concerning HD Online; Controller or stick....

NOOB

[08] Mercenary
Been years since I played this game so I don't know how friendly some of the inputs for combos are being an older game. What was more popular back in the day? I'm thinking of getting a PS4 controller with this game in mind.

I know there's preferences but I'm sure there is pros and cons to both options.

Whatever you're most comfortable with.

I know that is not really an answer, but it's true. Personally the only time you would catch me on a stick is if I got stranded in Japan. Otherwise, I've been playing on pad for some 18 years, why throw that away?

As for actual mechanical differences...

On pad, inputting directions is easier/quicker, while button combinations are more difficult. (You can get around this by playing "claw style", or, I like to use my Patented Button Mapping Layout™ so I can play with a standard grip like any other game.)

On stick, button combinations are easier, you can press in any pattern you want without having to do too much hand contortion. But, inputting directions takes more physical effort; you might find some difficulty dashing quickly/inputting double directional inputs (e.g. 66/44). Bro, I hope you lift.

There are fabled reports of the legendary frankenpad that unites the two forces in unholy matrimony but that's completely ridiculous and unfounded, it probably doesn't even exist...

Of course this is all subjective. Like I said, whatever you wreck shop with, that's what you use. No honor lost in sticking to one camp over the other.

I suck with everything, but could probably be better with a stick if I put the time in, but I'm jumping through hoops to get my stick setup for my right hand, so there's finance involved as well as preference. I'm willing to play both as I love the convenience of the controller but I always end up making no progress on pad. I'm interested in your button mappings as I've tried personalising it myself because of how much a liability using one joint for 4 different face buttons is, unless that's private. I can't do that Ivy command grab in SCV no matter what I do and got wrecked by a player who could do it without issues, so it left a sour taste, I'm thinking ahead etc. As for the frankenstick/pad, I recall watching a stream years ago where some player had half a duakshock with arcade buttons, seemed real.

There are fabled reports of the legendary frankenpad that unites the two forces in unholy matrimony but that's completely ridiculous and unfounded, it probably doesn't even exist...

It still exists and it actually works :o The designer for that one stopped I think. You can contact b15sdm to build one for you. I can't find the updated version but here is the prototype he made http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/7807590/#Comment_7807590 The price is pretty costly though

You can try the hitbox which is like playing on a keyboard. The directional inputs are arcade buttons.

I'm interested in your button mappings as I've tried personalising it myself because of how much a liability using one joint for 4 different face buttons is, unless that's private.
Oh, no. I don't keep secrets >_>

Square - A
X - B
Circle - K
Triangle - A+K
R1 - G
R2 - A+B+K
L1 - A+B
L2 - B+K

Pinch your thumb and forefinger together for throws (A+G, B+G) or taunts (K+G, which apparently isn't used for taunting in SCII but is just a regular button command???)

You could possibly map A, B, K, and G to all four shoulder buttons and play with your index and middle fingers, but that doesn't sit well with my hands. (Ugh, I'm cramping just thinking about it.) Also, that's best with PS1-style flat shoulder buttons...

I can't do that Ivy command grab in SCV no matter what I do and got wrecked by a player who could do it without issues, so it left a sour taste, I'm thinking ahead etc.
Huh... Are you planning on maining Ivy?

The command grab is a matter of practice (and/or finding shortcuts or developing them yourself)... in SCV and back in SCII the motion is meant to be awkward, so that it forces you to hide it with buffering. You shouldn't feel bad if you can't get it, since it takes quite a big time investment to obtain.

Also, you could have been facing a Hitbox user, as mentioned above. In SCV in particular, since Calamity Symphony is all cardinal directions, a Hitbox user can input it with lightning speed and without any notice, almost as if they were cheating (... Sora!!!!!)

If you have any friends who play stick ask if you can use it... I do know that they cost a pretty penny.

I plan on playing sophitia, cassandra and ivy, not good at anyone in particular, but yes the inputs for that put me off and the player never did answer my message about what kind of input device he was using after advising me to learn the CS grab.

I have a stick already but haven't gave it much use, but lately it has hit me that I'm limited by being right handed, so I've tried that for about an hour and I was already leaps and bounds ahead of the opposite way around, but it's uncomfortable because my hands have to rest on home/select/turbo buttons etc. So my remaining option is to get a custom plexi at the very least and maybe a new mounting panel or else the stick will be raised higher than it normally would be aka lots of money.

As for hit box, I've tried it, the plus being you can input complex commands at speed with more precision, but standard things become more difficult as a result. Ended up selling it eventually.

As a PC player I think the right handed arcade stick is the most natural input method for me, using the fingers on the left and the wrist of my right, but I'm no stranger to controllers, just not very good with my mushy thumbs at the inputs required.

Inputs in SC2 are rather simple. There are barely any hard combos etc. If you want to play sophie and cass you only need to learn 236 and 214 for cass as well. Ivys gameplan is very simple in this game as well. Her CS and SS inputs are also easier than in SC4 or 5.

If you consider switching to stick SC2 is a good game to do it.

Stick for me, though I can play SC to some degree on controller if forced. TEXC's and such are much easier for me on stick though.

Back