Copy cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juez

DragonPuncher
When you play someone who uses a character that you use and they do something you havent seen before do you tend to copy the move and claim it as your own?

I admit when I play someone who uses a character I use I will copy the set-ups they use later on. In fact that's how I learned Cervy's stun combo.

Who actually claims combos as their own? There's a limited number of moves, meaning a limited number of combos out there. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's come up with combos on their own, only to find it later already posted in a SA.

(I copy people all the time) :)

I'll try to use stuff I see all the time. Dunno how or why you'd claim it as your own tho.

Stuff like, "4BBK is MINE! Everyone else is a copycat hater!" strikes me as totally insane.

I had no idea you were a thread

gotta write that one down............

You are just "learning to play" thats how you learn is by watching other people. Ive never heard of anyone claiming a combo but, its not forgery or anything if you use something you see. Just dont forget what you already know, add to it, tweek a little, but by all means pay attention to "WHATS KICKING YOUR ASS!!" and you will get better i promise

You are just "learning to play" thats how you learn is by watching other people. Ive never heard of anyone claiming a combo but, its not forgery or anything if you use something you see. Just dont forget what you already know, add to it, tweek a little, but by all means pay attention to "WHATS KICKING YOUR ASS!!" and you will get better i promise

hey, i said that first!!!! thief!!!!!

I claimed the cMK > Hadouken combo as mine and mine alone.

When people use it, they stole it off of me.

I don't own anything myself. In fact most of the opinions I express on this forum were most likely borrowed from someone/somewhere else, whether or not I was conscious of it or not.

Although I do have 2 or 3 random SCIV related discoveries that I might be able to credit to myself.

The very first time I played Maximus1, we mirror matched with Asta... He had a mic and I didn't.. I caught him with a WR K into a crouch grab and I heard him say "Stop stealing my moves".. LOL. WTF? Like he invented it and shit.

Applications do get invented, though. Anybody can figure out combos, but choices in moves and setups require a different mindset. All this adds up to a playstyle which other players will copy but not really understand why it's used or why it works. They didn't do any of the work, they're not pioneers. They just do what's already been decided by someone else that works. This point of view isn't really obvious unless you've main'd a character since the beginning and you win tournaments and meet other players using the same character.

When I'm first learning a character I often look up videos of players I like and try to straight up copy them. I still don't play just like them because some of their stuff doesn't work for me/I'm not as good as they are/whatever.

This sums up everything. period.

Pointless thread. Doesent belong in tactics. Originality doesent make you win, playing better does. If playing better means using tactics you cribbed from someone else, so be it.

-Idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back