Could use some assistance

Dab_Of_Oppo

Gentlemen of the Road
Though I've been playing the SC series since 2, I've never had any clue what I've been doing. A friends and family tournament has made me want to change that.

I put a post up in the "Trainers and Trainees" thread here as well. But if you would like to offer your assistance I would gladly accept. PSN: Dab_Of_Oppo

Also, it would be most generous if someone would kindly explain a few things, the wording of attacks mostly. I'll put up a few quotes that utterly confused me. A, B, G, K, is about as far as I know.

"What's the difference between 236B and 236:B?"
"Actually Cassie's 236:B JF"
"You can also practice 236:(B) juggling by going into training, setting the attack properties to counter and trying out the combo: CH236:(B) 236:(B) 236:(B) 4BB:A"

Please help!

P.S. anyone up for some novice vs novice matchmaking?

What's good?

To read commands, look at your keyboard's numpad. 6 is forward, 4 is backward, 2 is down, 8 is up, and so on so forth. They are always read as the character facing the right side of the screen. It equals out to this:

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

:7::8::9:
:4::5::6:
:1::2::3:

A, B, K, G is a bit different depending on what you're playing on. Going from SC command, to 360 pad, to PS3 pad, it's like:

Horizontal = :A: = X = Square
Vertical = :B: = Y = Triangle
Kick = :K: = B = Circle
Guard = :G: = A = Cross

The difference between 236B and 236:B is that the latter is a Just Input of the move, signified in game by your character flashing white. To get that particular Just Input, you have to do the move as fast as possible - there should be next to no time between the 236 and the B. 4BB:A is also a Just Input, though it's different in that it's not done by the fastest input. You have to hit A at a specific point in the move. I'm not entirely sure WHEN that specific point is on that one since I don't play Cass, but I'm certain there'll be a Cass player in here to help fairly soon.

If anything wasn't clear, or you have questions on other stuff, feel free to leave me a question on my profile page.

Welcome to 8WayRun.

Pocky Yoshi says hello and is pleased to meet you. The vid you need is the one optymuss posted or you can click the link in my sig. They're both the same vids, but I have it in my signature in case you need to review it or so. But yes, my buddy Heaton is correct.

For Cass' 4BB:A you need to press A just as the second hit lands. (Online this may not work due to lag).

So '22' would be down, down. I only just figured out today that something like 236 you could just roll the analog through those points, not have to go to 2-5-3-5-6. Whether or not you punch the inputs in as soon as possible or time them (like at the end of a swing) is dependent on the combo your going for? The video helped quite a bit, it would be sweet if they had a camera over the controller to show how they do the analog movements and button presses (B+G? Need more thumbs.)

Tried to play online just now, got pasted across the floor. Long way to go before I can hope to stand a chance. Over thinking fights is a big problem for me.

I'm usually online often, more so since air traffic has slowed down for the winter. Send me an invite on PSN, could use all the training I can get my hands on. I usually play Cassandra, Talim, or Kilik.

Thanks for you help!

I wouldn't feel too bad about losing online. You might be better off trying to find a friend to play offline, though.

Regarding specific timing and combos: Yes some combos have very tight buffering windows. This is to avoid making some combos too easy to do. Usually the timing is relaxed, but some people have complained about SC4s buffering system being too rigid and clunky, especially for step.
Regarding just-frame moves (:) The timing from character to character is usually different slightly.

It's good to see more people learning Soul Calibur. Please keep asking questions :)

I wouldn't feel too bad about losing online. You might be better off trying to find a friend to play offline, though.

It's good to see more people learning Soul Calibur. Please keep asking questions :)

I have one friend who will play with me, the more we drink the more evenly matched we become. So he won't play me sober. And for questions, oh I will continue asking them!

Was good to ya newcomer. The name Izzy(Isaiah)!!!!

Hello! To you, and quite a few others, don't be alarmed if you get a 'Request to Add Friend,' not wanting to be creepy, but I will probably add you. SC is one of the few games I will likely play online. (Not a shooter fan)

I have one friend who will play with me, the more we drink the more evenly matched we become. So he won't play me sober. And for questions, oh I will continue asking them!

Hello! To you, and quite a few others, don't be alarmed if you get a 'Request to Add Friend,' not wanting to be creepy, but I will probably add you. SC is one of the few games I will likely play online. (Not a shooter fan)
I won't. If you do follow me I will follow you back. I won't freak out. No biggie.

If you're like me you are probably dying to fight him on equal ground. If you are superior, try to handicap yourself in some way that isn't noticeable and doesn't come off as a taunt. Instead of lowering your health gauge, try to learn a new character and brush up on your basics. If you are really zealous, pick up a $60 Hori stick and he'll probably love kicking the crap out of you as you learn a new controller... Be careful when giving advice. Instead of pointing out his mistakes, ask him if there is anything you can help him with if he's getting frustrated.

I have gone through a lot of the cast this way playing against my bud and he's caught up in skill tremendously. Anyway, good luck. Leave a note in the Soul Arenas if you have any character specific questions, or PM me directly.

I'm only slightly better than him (if I were to try to play one of you guys I'd get pasted), and thinking about buying two of those sticks for fun. My thumb can't take the G+B anymore! One of our rules playing is that we are not allowed to use the same character after a match is over (best of 5). And my rocking Cassandra and he rolls with Talim, we're both into unknown button mashing territory pretty quick! (I've known him for around 12 years now, we're pretty chill. It's my Talim-playing button-spazzing sister and family I want to stomp, and try to get somewhere in tournaments)

I'm barely just better than him, the night ended 14 to 10. Then we watched Claymore and he passed out on the couch.

Me, him, and one of my cousins play very tactically with each other. Remove the time limits, and have some epic 3-6 minute duels. The downside is that whenever either of us does something awesome we have no idea how we did it.

Well, what I consider to be an epic duel.

EDIT -----

I'm starting to get how to use the 8 Way Run. I've been mainly going into training, selecting a random character, and a map I can't get ringed-out on, practice for 30 minutes with their difficulty on hard and try to defend and attack and avoid, while practicing punching in the combos in a fight scenario.

This seems so lame to ask, but how do you perform those charged up and unblockable attacks I see the AI doing. And some of the multi-hit throws that ruin me.

I'm looking for someone to help me out with matches. Play against some of you guys who are really good, and tell me how I can improve. PSN: Dab_Of_Oppo Look me up, and I'll be getting a headset this weekend so I can actually talk.

Back